A Question Of Towbar Type

RichyB

Hello,

This Chirstmas we were given an old Avondale Perle Argos 4 berth caravan (1980's cream, beige and orange). We are trying to decide if it's worth renovating the caravan for use. We first of all need to ascertain a few vital things. One of them begin which towbar to get for our VW Golf Mk5.

We have a TDI Sport with a sports bumper so I don't really want to cut into the bumper to fit a towbar. Does anybody know about Swan Neck towbars? What is their limitation vs flange towbars?

Thanks

Rich

Rich,

we don't have a golf but our mazda has the bigger sports bumper and we could only find one towbar that fitted so our choice was easy. its a westfalia vertical detachable. no cuts at all, and totally (inc elecs) invisible when removed. very pleased with it and really easy to use.

A seemingly problem free 2010 model Adria Altea 542dk that has more than its fair share of use.

Hello,

This Chirstmas we were given an old Avondale Perle Argos 4 berth caravan (1980's cream, beige and orange). We are trying to decide if it's worth renovating the caravan for use. We first of all need to ascertain a few vital things. One of them begin which towbar to get for our VW Golf Mk5.

We have a TDI Sport with a sports bumper so I don't really want to cut into the bumper to fit a towbar. Does anybody know about Swan Neck towbars? What is their limitation vs flange towbars?

Thanks

Rich

They are perfectly as good as a flanged towbar and by law have to meet European standards. The only "draw" back is that you are limited if you want to fit any additional accessories to the flange because there isn't one (Bolt on cycle carriers and the like) Personally when I'm towing the towbar is for the towed vehicle and nothing else.

Edited by Gaz40

You can now get flanged-detachable for some towbars.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

Gaz, witter do a flange/swan neck detachable rather than just the traditional ball/swan neck.

A seemingly problem free 2010 model Adria Altea 542dk that has more than its fair share of use.

Contact a local Towbar fitter and ask what they can supply for your car. They will be able to tell you if any cuts need to be made to the number or not.

Lunar Clubman SB

Mazda CX5 Sport AWD 175 bhp

Gaz, witter do a flange/swan neck detachable rather than just the traditional ball/swan neck.

Dave

Do you mean this one, not your regular swan neck but looks to clear the bumper.

[attachment=14586:13474_product_detailed_image_3829_7430. jpg

they do a couple iirc Gaz, some bolt on and some have the quick release but from what i recall they look like someone has cut the ball off and welded a flange on. we couldnt use one as they said it won't clear our bumper as its quite a lot deeper (front to rear not hight) so we had to go westfalia

they do a couple iirc Gaz, some bolt on and some have the quick release but from what i recall they look like someone has cut the ball off and welded a flange on. we couldnt use one as they said it won't clear our bumper as its quite a lot deeper (front to rear not hight) so we had to go westfalia

I think its comes down to cost, bumper style and personal preference. Good thing now is that there seems to be a lot more options around.

I had this type of standard swan neck fitted to one of our cars in the past to clear the bumper.

Edited by Gaz40

I wouldn't be concerned about a bumper cut personally, nearly all my fixed towbars have had a bumper cut and the bumper removed for fitting.

removing the bumper is the largest negative for me as the bumper never seems to refit the same.

With my present car I went for a detachable but only because the fitter said he wasn't sure if the parking sensor would see the bumper protector. By going for a witter instead of another make the bumper wasn't required to come of, nor a bumper cut.

With the witter bar a generic bar is used and different balls can be attached via a receiver change.