Found A Damp Patch

Having recently come home from our Christmas holiday, I was today tidying the caravan and hoovering it ready to put some of the summer items back in the caravan when I noticed a damp patch in the bottom of the wardrobe. I'm pretty sure it wasn't there before we went away and all the rain recently can't be good. My initial thoughts are the water has come in through from where the external aerial socket has been fitted directly behind the damp patch on the out side of the caravan. If it's not coming from there then I'm at a bit of a lose as to where it is coming from. (Any thought ? )

Fortunately as it's at the bottom of the wardrobe near the floor it's very hard to see and is only about 3" x 8" in size. Would you knowledgable people recommend drying it out with a heater and obviously sealing up the leak. Or should I cut it out and replace everything that needs replacing.

Disco 3 and Bailey Segovia 

do the job right, find and stop the leak, then replace every thing that needs to be replaced, bodging never works

liverpool fc- boxing and fishing- camping

• 4 weeks later...

OK so update on the Damp.

I've removed the wardrobe and drawers, cut away the damp piece of wall and removed the insulation.

My first thought was that the water was coming in through the additional external aerial point i had fitted, but that was dry. We have also had about a three foot section of awning rail replace when we brought the caravan as it was damaged by previous owners. I have since removed this, cleaned it up and refitted it with new sealant.

This has certainly resolved 90% of the water ingress as the paper i had placed in side is now dry. However having spent some time drying out the actual bottom rail of the caravan frame and see the damp readings come down i'm a little confused to why after all the rain last night that this morning the wood is now reading high levels of damp. The paper is still dry and the wood is dry to touch but there is defiantly more damp in the wood to then yesterday - any ideas ?

Damp readings in this weather can be a bit misleading. I have a couple of pieces of pine boarding in my front locker, totally dry, but reading 25%. However, the readings inside your cupboard should be viewed in relation to what other parts in the caravan are reading. Normal vans would be a around 8 -10% under normal conditions, but at the moment I am taking reading more around 15%, presumably due to the high humidity outside.

How high were your readings? Once the original board was removed you should have been able to see where the ingress has come from.

The Reading on my meter are in the Red between 20 and of the scale at 30% on meter i've got. Last night when i checked the readings where in the green and amber range after having a blow heater on it all day

Can't actually see where the waters coming from

I'm afraid if you can't see where the water is coming from then you probably haven't removed all of the damaged timber/wallboard. When you find the area of ingress the route of the ingress is obvious.

For any additional information or advice please have a look on my website. .....

www. thecaravanmedic-swindon. co. uk

Damp readings in this weather can be a bit misleading. I have a couple of pieces of pine boarding in my front locker, totally dry, but reading 25%. However, the readings inside your cupboard should be viewed in relation to what other parts in the caravan are reading. Normal vans would be a around 8 -10% under normal conditions, but at the moment I am taking reading more around 15%, presumably due to the high humidity outside.

I've just had mine serviced by a mobile engineer, and he's recorded readings of around 15 -18% in 4 cupboards.

He says not to panic due to the weather and the fact the cupboards were closed.

His advice is to open the cupboards and thoroughly ventilate the 'van (as the weather allows) and he will come back in three months (for free!) and take new readings.

He says these type of readings, particularly as he carries out the services outside and can't put the 'van inside to acclimatise, are very common in these weather conditions.

Ssangyong Korando Sports SX / Adria Altea 472DS Eden