Review: Sorento Kx-2 Auto

rushallmanor

Comfort, ride, good towing performance with 1800kg behind. 7 seats when needed. Reversing camera great for hiching. Blue tooth works well for phone or controlling the stereo system. Huge luggage capacity with rows 2&3 folded.

Click here to view the towcar review

Hi,

I took delivery of a KX-2 auto in September. Recently completed my first long tow - 800 miles towing and 630 miles solo, car averaged 33. 5mpg which I'm happy with for that trip. Car is fitted with a KIA (AlKo) detachable towbar and a swivel 13 pin electrical socket. Socket mounting flexes when trying to connect 13 pin plug from van which made connecting the two a bit awkward. I've taken it back to the dealer who has tried to make a stiffer bracket but I'll make another myself as it's still flexing more than I like. Apart from that one little niggle really pleased with the car and it's towing abilities.

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Verona + 2013 Kia Sorento KX-2 Auto

• 3 months later...

I've just got mine in part exchange for a Volvo V70. Wow! What a difference. I haven't yet had the opportunity to tow with it ( going at the end of the month) but solo it's a cracker. I have one niggle though, in the Volvo there was a 12volt outlet in the luggage compartment which stayed live all the time. I used mine for a small fan on the rare occasions when I had to leave my dog in the car. The Sorento's outlet (in front of the rear seats) could be connected with a longer cable but it dies when the ignition is switched off, and KIA advise against altering the wiring. Anyone got any bright ideas to solve this one ??

I think it must be the standard these days to perhaps avoid flat batteries as the 12v sockets in our VW Jetta ( front and in the boot ) don't work without the engine being switched on.

Ian

November's What Car has no value for kerb weight.

Does anyone know it ?

What Car has since got a very cut down list of data.

Does anyone know another source ?

My Disco has seen better days !

David

Swizz

мы приходим невидимый - HM Submarines Conqueror, Churchill, Renown, Onslaught, Ocelot, Porpoise

• 9 months later...

hi I also have the Kia KX2 Auto,I have fitted a powerpoint on the boot/hatch area, the people who fitted mine took power direct from battery down both lines of the dual cable they use (20amp fuses on both) so broke into one of the cables fitted another 20amp fuse to power socket quite a simple job (took a while to find a good earth point though lots of plastic fittings in area). Must remember to remove anything plugged in when away for awhile though.

Also went last year through some wet and very windy times in France even the lorries were slow on the motorways but the Kia seemed to cope with it superbly very steady.

Don't know if its been tried but some say that without the third row of seats it will increase the load area look like a winner to me (just got to find somewhere to store them)!

Good tow car - good review.

Willerby Avonmore previous kit VW Splitty Camper,Ford Transit Camper, Commer Highwayman, Sprite Alpine Caravan, Rapids Export Folding Caravan, Fiat Autosleeper Harmony, Ci Granduca Motorhome, McLouis Glen 432 Motorhome, American RV Trail-Lite twin slide outs 8.2ltr petrol/lpg, Lunar Solaris Limited Edition Caravan.

• 4 months later...

Very competent towcar, well equipped and when fitted with a tuning chip,quite frugal. Sensible size wheels and tyres may not have the bling factor of an X3 or X5 but I was NOT the one struggling in the mud last year. Cars on our short list when we bought it were: Honda CRV,Mercedes ML320, VW Tuareg

Hyundai Sante Fe and the KIA. Sorento offered the best all round. The CRV was simply uncomfortable for my back, The Mercedes and the VW are not serious off road machines and we need that capability. The Sante Fe and the Sorento are the same under the skin but I feel the KIA was a slightly better looking car.

Been absolutely delighted with the car, only niggle has been an issue with the radio aerial, other than that minor irritation its been a joy to own.

Very competent towcar, well equipped and when fitted with a tuning chip,quite frugal. Sensible size wheels and tyres may not have the bling factor of an X3 or X5 but I was NOT the one struggling in the mud last year. Cars on our short list when we bought it were: Honda CRV,Mercedes ML320, VW Tuareg

Hyundai Sante Fe and the KIA. Sorento offered the best all round. The CRV was simply uncomfortable for my back, The Mercedes and the VW are not serious off road machines and we need that capability. The Sante Fe and the Sorento are the same under the skin but I feel the KIA was a slightly better looking car.

Been absolutely delighted with the car, only niggle has been an issue with the radio aerial, other than that minor irritation its been a joy to own.

Tuningdrew how frugal is your Sorento with a tuning chip - actual mpg as opposed to computer mpg would be useful.

I find that my computer mpg is around 11% optimistic.

Over the first 6000 miles it has averaged 30mpg - a mixture of driving - local, motorway and a bit of towing.

Willerby Avonmore previous kit VW Splitty Camper,Ford Transit Camper, Commer Highwayman, Sprite Alpine Caravan, Rapids Export Folding Caravan, Fiat Autosleeper Harmony, Ci Granduca Motorhome, McLouis Glen 432 Motorhome, American RV Trail-Lite twin slide outs 8.2ltr petrol/lpg, Lunar Solaris Limited Edition Caravan.

on a decent run (500 miles) we saw 47mpg and when towing our Swift Challenger 620 settles to around 32-35mpg. With the previous van Lunar Quasar 524 which was lighter, coming back from France saw 37mpg.

What I have noticed is the car is willing to drop into top gear and stay there for longer periods even with the van on the back.

I suppose in real terms I'm saving around 15% on fuel and the car is less stressy to drive. Prior to the chip I was aware the gearbox was changing up and down a lot more.

I had the same chip (DPT)fitted to our previous car, Merc E320 CDi, and that was really impressive, solo 57 mpg and towing 35-39 measured. Not so impressive with the sorento but I think the car is already in a high state of tune to get the 194bhp.

Hi Tuningdrew are all your quoted figures from your dash computer readout?

Edited by springtime

• 1 month later...

Thats off the display. We've just towed the Swift down to Dijon and back in 35 degree plus heat, 1000 mile round trip, and worked out at 25-26mpg measured at a steady 55-60 mph. If you push the speed past 60 the fuel consumption increases significantly.

Impressive part was that the outside temp was 35 degrees but the coolant temp gauge did not move from its 89 degrees mark