Behaviour Spoilt My New Year Break

meadowsweet

We were staying at Conkers C&CC over the New Year. A noisy party of three caravans pitched up the day after we arrived to celebrate the New Year, seemingly by drinking all day. At 5. 30pm I went to the ladies shower block and one of the males was urinating in a cubicle with the door open. I was quite shocked and challenged him - he was clearly drunk and thought it very amusing and kept parroting what I said, He left and a minute later two little girls came in - lucky they missed the sight of him.

I told the warden the next day who said if it happened again to come and see him. It didn't but various comments were made as I walked past their caravans e. g. to their children - "ride round the site and make as much noise as possible".

We left early due to the weather but I had started to feel intimidated. I can't believe that some people have so little courtesy or decency and spoil it for others.

I don't use the C&CC very often but I am going to cancel my membership when it is due for renewal - I don't use it that often and when I have done I often come away with a negative impression, be it the behaviour of some or the lack of investment in the facilities and roads.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You should have reported it there and then. Maybe the warden would have ousted him immediately.

It is not the sort of behaviour you expect on a site. Records should be such that the wardens know the

address of the individual, whether he/she belongs to a club and get them barred.

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

Shame. ..............I would send a copy of this to CC&C. .........

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Was the man in the Ladies toilet? The OP doesn't actually say that.

Ern

OP is female so I guess Yes!

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

I too feel that this should be brought to the attention of C&CC via a written complaint. The behaviour described is completely unacceptable and in my view the party concerned should have been at the very least spoken to if not ejected from the site.

The C&CC will have records of who the party was. They can and should be barred.

Conkers is open to non-members as well as members, and short of submitting a CV and references from previous campsites, the wardens / owners / site managers of any site aren't going to know who they are getting until they turn up.

It's a sad fact that in today's society many people don't have respect for those around them, and in an ideal world the paths of those who don't wouldn't cross the paths of those who do, but unfortunately people do think that getting drunk around the New Year Period is the only way to enjoy themselves. As for urinating in a cubicle in the ladies loo with the door open, can I ask, did he have his back to you or did he turn round? Personally, I'd have let that one go - after all, he's not going to bother me if I'm locked in my own cubicle and it's not uncommon for men to take advantage of their ability to make use of walls and hedges whilst we ladies have to hold on for miles or "hop over a hedge" if desperate. OK, he shouldn't have been in the ladies - maybe the gents was shut and he's one of those people who won't use the loo in his own caravan.

Noise is a different matter, and if it is affecting your enjoyment, of course it should have been dealt with by the powers that be and you'd be right to complain about it and expect action to be taken.

Edited by alison01326

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see (GK Chesterton)

There's no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong equipment (Alfred Wainwright)

And the proof of their behaviour is the word of one person!

So an individual who may or may not be a member does the wrong thing whilst drunk (a common thing) ,is then insensitive enough to stir things a bit (don't forget we do not know exactly what the OP said).

The site manager offered a solution as it was one person's word against another's, a totally fair view.

The club had not vetted campers before that got to site

The OP wants to leave the club as a result!

Seems to me that rather than 5 van CL & CS sites there is a market for single van sites where folk could go and not have to interact with anyone else! It would certainly keep some of the folk on here happy!

My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely

And what, be on a site with myself?

I think that's one too many for me!

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Obviously some folk are more tolerant than me, probably a good thing but as the father of daughters, I take exception to a man exposing himself in the female showers. What he was thinking, we don't know but it is not acceptable in a family environment in my view.

We don't need to have sites for individuals, as has been suggested sarcastically, but basic standards of behaviour are not too much to ask for, it seems to work most of the time but I feel that those who like to make the experience of others a misery need to be told they are not welcome.

I was in a department store men's toilet the week before Christmas. .... and a woman came out of a cubicle while I was stood at the urinals. She said "theres a queue in ours" and left. ...not stopping to wash her hands.

We caravan in France a lot, so 'unisex' toilets don't bother me. But somehow it offended me that someone should 'do as they want' so blatantly. ...and then not wash.

I have no wish to diminish the op, but standards have slipped so much out there, that nothing surprises me anymore. I suppose we should be grateful he went into a toilet. ..unlike so many who freely urinate in the open.

I doubt the warden would have done anything apart from a 'please don't do that'. I doubt the C & CC would take any action. ...if they are like the CC, they just want their money.

It reinforces my committment to staying away from club sites on public holidays. ...better still cross the channel.

It's this type of person that spoils it for the normal hard working descent caravanners/ campers.

I say name and shame the inconsiderate horrible people.

Driving Nissan Navara 2013.

Bailey Pegasus Verona 2014.

I take exception to a man exposing himself in the female showers

The OP doesn't say that!

Sadly, we have had a bad experience at a C & CC with appallingly behaved children. After many complaints from lots of people the Warden 'had a word', but things only marginally improved and nothing further was done The facilities were appalling too - so bad, actually, that it was almost funny. It was our first time with C & CC and very nearly our last. We've never had any problems with CC and have balanced that against their greater 'regimentation' (CaptS is cracking at backing up to the marker). That being said, our last trip of last year was to a C & CC site near Chichester which we loved. I suppose no-one can account for the behaviour of others and there seem to be so many thoughtless and unpleasant people around nowadays (why is that I wonder?). It is the way the wardens or owners of a site deal with problem campers that makes the difference I suppose. It is the new C & CC site fee policy that we are a bit dubious about this year . ......

I don't blame the OP for being upset. I wouldn't have liked seeing a man in the ladies either. Never mind a drunk and stupid one! Who needs it? If you can't hold your drink, leave it alone!

MrsS

Subaru Legacy towing a Luna Clubman 475 CK2 (we hope!)

All we are saying, is give bees a chance

It's not something I'm going to gamble with so far as my children are concerned.

So it happened on a C&CC site, who or what is to say it couldn't also happen on a CC, a private or a CL/CS (though far less likely on the latter I agree)?

So what options does that leave folk I wonder?

Had my wife been in that situation I may have let it slide had she not been too bothered. If my 3 year old girl had been with her I'd have been straight over.

I understand people do silly things after a drink but drink or not he knew he was on a family site.

Just beginning our adventure. 95% of my time on CT I use my phone. As a result correct spelling and grammer will be used sparingly. This is due to fat fingers. Please don't let it bother you.

They should have been at least spoken to by the warden. I'm all for live and let live but men using the ladies' when there;s kids about and acting like drunken louts is a no-no as far as i'm concerned.

I'd put in a complaint to the CC. I hope you reported feeling intimidated too,

Compass Shadow 1988

Obviously some folk are more tolerant than me, probably a good thing but as the father of daughters, I take exception to a man exposing himself in the female showers. What he was thinking, we don't know but it is not acceptable in a family environment in my view.

We don't need to have sites for individuals, as has been suggested sarcastically, but basic standards of behaviour are not too much to ask for, it seems to work most of the time but I feel that those who like to make the experience of others a misery need to be told they are not welcome.

If he was actually exposing himself in the female showers (rather than urinating in a cubicle in the female toilets, which is what the original poster said) I would be straight on to the police, never mind the campsite warden / manager / owner.

As the mother of a son, I must remember to ask all the women on the beach who are sunbathing topless to cover themselves up when he is present. Only joking!! I am probably more tolerant than many on here, but to be perfectly honest, unless we are stepping into the realm of deliberate and illegal acts of indecency, I doubt there'll be anything that most kids haven't seen before.

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see (GK Chesterton)

There's no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong equipment (Alfred Wainwright)

Reading the post i'm assuming he was taking a pee in the cubical with the door open.

On the site we;re on the ladies shower wasn't working for a while and because it's a small site and sometimes there's only us up I just use the mens. It's one cubical and the door locks by the way!

Likewise if the mens one isn't working I have my husband and 2 boys using the ladies - one by one!! and no one bothers.

The guy in the next caravan said "when you're not here I just use the ladies shower". I told him to feel free and use it even if I am there, as I said the door locks so no "accidents" and it's only temporary anyway.

Compass Shadow 1988

They should have been at least spoken to by the warden

Think it through, there were 3 couples vs one person if the OP is correct. If the 3 couples had denied it just what grounds do you think the warden had to take any action.

If it were one person's word against another what sort of success do you think the warden would have, except possibly a complaint against him by the couples or a counter claim against the individual!

I'd put in a complaint to the CC

Sorry mechs but read the OP carefully, it wasn't even a CC site!

They at least should have the decency to follow up a complaint made by another caravanner and if the warden decided not to take it further then fine, at least he will have been seen to be doing something rather than the "if it happens again tell me" attitude. Just because there's three other caravans / couples against one doesn't mean because there's three of them they can behave in the way they did.

Sorry I thought it was a CC site as the poster said they were leaving the club. I'll have a read.

My apologies C&CC, all one to me except one allows tents on site.

Compass Shadow 1988

Just to put things into perspective, if the man was very drunk as the OP intimated he was then his morals would be in sad decline and the chance that he got nasty after the confrontation would be pretty high. To all the people trying to say 'it is not serious' or 'I would let it go' would they be so blase about the situation if their wives had been sexually assaulted or worse. It is not normal to get drunk as a skunk on new years eve despite what the general consensus is. Getting totally drunk usually ends up with you embarassing yourself or worse. There is no need for it. I am no prude and had a moderate drink on new years eve and had a whale of a time with friends, and I remembered every minute of it. .......

2004 Citroen C5 2. 0ltr diesel auto VTR and 2011 Bailey Orion 430/4

To all the people trying to say 'it is not serious' or 'I would let it go' would they be so blase about the situation if their wives had been sexually assaulted or worse.

That is a poor straw man argument, no one was assaulted in any way, never mind sexually.

Has the revolution finally begun?