Mains Electrical Problem

rogjen

I have a 1997 Swift challenger 470 SE which I have had since new.

A problem has now developed with the mains connection.

Usually when I plug into the mains, the needle on the gauge on the 'plug in systems' panel goes hard over to the the right hand side showing full power.

This does not happen any more although the mains lights and the fridge work on mains power.

When I switch to battery power (which is fully charged) the needle swings back and forth.

Even when the battery lights are switched off, these come on and off with each swing of the needle!

Any help would be most appreciated.

check battery connections first, make sure that they are clean and tight. then confirm if your battery is being charged by having the mains connected and on. take a voltage reading across the battery, it should be 13v plus if charging. turn power off take reading again will be 12. 8v or less. If that's ok then its possibly the gauge or faulty wiring to it. if its not charging then you need a new charger. I would buy an after market one as yours will be difficult to source now.

"lights are switched off, these come on and off with each swing of the needle!" sounds as if battery disconnected is there either an isolator or a fuse?

A loose cable could potentially create intermittent connections but not a regular swing in a voltmeter, I wouldn't think. Is the swing cyclical e. g. swings every second or so? Imagine a battery charger with output overload protection. ...it receives mains so starts to deliver charge current into the battery, voltmenter records the voltage increase, lights brighten. ..but then the charger senses an overload or an overtemp so cuts out, voltmenter records the drop in voltage, lights dim. ...charger recovers and the cycle starts again.

Your OP seems to describe two faults: when connected to mains, the voltmeter doesn't show the increase (charger output) and when switched to battery, the needle swings.

I can't imagine any situation where you would not want to charge the battery whilst connected to mains and, therefore, can't imagine why a caravan designer would create such a scenario, which means that both the faults could be linked to the charger / DC power supply. Is there any way you could borrow another unit for diagnostic purposes?