Maxview Precision - Anyone Tried One Out?

I note that one of these was up for a prize at the CT awards, but was wondering if anyone has actually gone or used it. Tempted to pick one up to go to France in the summer, but would appreciate everyone's thoughts.

http://www. maxview. co. uk/products/info-MXL012-65TWIN. html

I don't have the precision version but I find the non precision version very quick and easy to set up, normally get a signal in a few minutes with ease using the iPhone app or compass that came with it

Nothing against the product but be aware that this 65cm dish will get you only about as far south as the Dordogne.

If you plan to go even further south then you should be thinking about a larger dish if you want to pull in all the Sky or Freesat channels 24/7 rain or shine.

Vin Blanc

It is sometimes better to say nothing and be thought a fool, than to speak out and have it proven!

Frontera 3. 2L V6 4x4 tugging Compass Magnum Classic 540 (quite easily!)

Tripod mounted 57cm "Arcon Multi" prime focus dish - Humax Foxsat HD Recorder.

Picking up on VB's point re size;

Note that things are about to change in that the existing satellite used to beam our signals is being replaced soon.

At the moment we don't know the "real life" foot print that the new satellite will cast over Europe, in other words what size dish will reliably work where.

The hints are that the new satellite's beam will be more concentrated on the UK making it weaker on the edges thus needing larger dishes than are needed now off target.

At the last shout they were talking of the new satellite coming on this February, after that actually happens we should be getting real life feedback on required dish sizes.

Smaller dishes often perform better than expected but the trend is to fail to consistently get signals in poor weather/through dense clouds.

In your position, if time allows I would wait to make an informed decision.

Picking up on VB's point re size;

Note that things are about to change in that the existing satellite used to beam our signals is being replaced soon.

At the moment we don't know the "real life" foot print that the new satellite will cast over Europe, in other words what size dish will reliably work where.

The hints are that the new satellite's beam will be more concentrated on the UK making it weaker on the edges thus needing larger dishes than are needed now off target.

At the last shout they were talking of the new satellite coming on this February, after that actually happens we should be getting real life feedback on required dish sizes.

Smaller dishes often perform better than expected but the trend is to fail to consistently get signals in poor weather/through dense clouds.

In your position, if time allows I would wait to make an informed decision.

Thanks for that. We don't go to end of July, but wanted to try things out first. Will hold fire for a bit

• 4 weeks later...

I have one of these (55cm) - very easy to setup/use and the built in sat finder is a good addition. Haven't used abroad only UK im afraid, but from what I remember from the specs and what VB has said above, a 65cm dish only covers the Northen half of France

As long as it looks reasonably level I find its been ok to set up

If not, then I suppose a chock would do it

If not, then I suppose a chock would do it

Agreed but you would have thought the legs would have been adjustable particularly given the 'south' leg has to be in a certain position.

Sam :beardy:

Agreed but you would have thought the legs would have been adjustable particularly given the 'south' leg has to be in a certain position.

Hi SamD

you could use the elevation indicator to compensate for unlevel ground, but as yet I havent needed to even when setup on a on a slight tilt. I guess it really depends on how unlevel it is where you sight the dish !

Hi SamD

you could use the elevation indicator to compensate for unlevel ground, but as yet I havent needed to even when setup on a on a slight tilt. I guess it really depends on how unlevel it is where you sight the dish !

Thanks - good to hear

Sam :beardy: