I Have An Outstanding Stolen Caravan

Looking for any helpful advise please

As the title states. .. I purchased private a 2 Berth Elddis Knightsbridge 380/2 31/08/2013 for £2000

!st time I have ever purchased a caravan, knew nothing about CRiS checks

Phoned CRiS on 23rd Sept to register it as had no CRiS paperwork/certificate, was only told at this time that they would contact previous owner to acknowledge the sale. .... Thats fine

Thursday 5th December after sending an email as to where is my certificate the previous day, I got a phone call telling me that the Caravan is outstanding stolen, 10 & half weeks had passed by this time, CRiS even told me that I should have been told on my 1st phone call. ..

I had insured the Caravan, nothing flagged up from them

Stuck the vin number into google and up popped a gumtree add stating stolen caravan ring police, so I did and reported it on 08/12/13

Thought I would be able to recover my money as I paid via paypal on a credit card, phoned paypal and was told that they do not cover any vehicles what so ever. .. I then phoned Barclaycard to make a claim under section 75 of the consumer credit act 1974, was told today that will not be getting our money back as paypal are only acting as an agent and so the act does not apply.

Police informed me today that the rightful owner lives in Australia, he purchased the caravan to export it, sent his driver to collect it, when he arrived was told it had already been collected by someone else, we are the 3rd owners since Nov 2012 when it went missing, the people we purchased it from are innocent and have supplied all the information of who they brought it from with receipt but never registered it in the time they had it, but as the police say suspicion is not proof of who stole it

I am coming to terms with the fact I have lost my £2k can anyone see a way of legally getting it back?

Have since brought another caravan. .... 1st thing I did was a CRiS check!!!!

Cheers Macca

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paypal is right - no PP protection on vehicles. And I don't think BC were providing you with finance facilities so it doesn't look good. If the original owner have claimed on their insurer, then its the insurance company you will be dealing with.

Maybe a threat of legal action from you may deter them for such a relatively small sum.

Do keep us with what happens.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

If the person who sold the van has a business account with Paypal then the payment is covered by the consumer credit act, and Paypal require you to have a business account after a certain value of credit card transactions have taken place, it may be worth checking the seller's status.

http://www. which. co. uk/consumer-rights/regulation/section-75-of-the-consumer-credit-act#link-5

Short of that the seller can not sell you something they do not own, perhaps you should consider County Court action?

Has the revolution finally begun?

the people we purchased it from are innocent and have supplied all the information of who they brought it from with receipt but never registered it in the time they had it, but as the police say suspicion is not proof of who stole it

Cheers Macca

This is where you recover your money from, the people you bought it from, yes they may well be innocent BUT they still sold you stolen property. I would start with them, get your £2k back.

RT

Yes it was an eBay Purchase and neither of us had a business account.

There has been no insurance company involved as the caravan was stolen before the registered owner collected & insured it hence the gumtree add running since Nov 2012

Next stop citizens advice I think

Thank you all :unsure:

I think the poster who said you should recover your money from the person you bought it from is correct as they sold you the van which legally did not belong to them. They will then have to sue who ever they bought it from. I you found out it was stolen quite quickly I am somewhat suspicious of the person who sold it you so I would not worry about getting your money back of him why should you loose 2000 pounds when he is the 1 who sold you a stolen van. I don, t think you would have a problem if it had to go to court.

This is not the time to be "compassionate" re the seller.

As you are being advised they sold stolen goods so claim on them, using the Small Claims Court system if they are not immediately forthcoming.

If genuine they will then be in a position to claim from their seller; their predicament is not something you need to get involved with. For whatever reason they failed to check the seller had good title to the goods.

So on till it hurts the perpetrator.

Edited by JTQ

This is not the time to be "compassionate" re the seller.

As you are being advised they sold stolen goods so claim on them, using the Small Claims Court system if they are not immediately forthcoming.

If genuine they will then be in a position to claim from their seller; their predicament is not something you need to get involved with. For whatever reason they failed to check the seller had good title to the goods.

So on till it hurts the perpetrator.

:goodpost:

Talking to a neighbour about this he suggested the same as Ben. .......try Citizens Advice Bureau first.

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

If the seller is innocent as he claims why would he sell a 2013 van for two grand ? Just another eBay scam, sue him. If he hasn't gone away.

Isuzu D Max pulling Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

Bailey Autograph 740 MH: Isuzu for sale LOL

Thank you all and JTQ yes I think you are spot on!

I have contacted citizens advice, they was very good to deal with and yes as said my only option is to pursue the vendor that sold it to me under the sale of goods act with not having 'Good Title' this is only possible I you know who the rightful owner is. ..... Ha Ha I now do and have spoken to him this morning from Australia, He tried to sell it to me again or £1500. ..... I declined :)

Moral of this story is Do a CRiS check!!! I never as I was a caravan virgin :blush: and thought it would be like buying a car, buy now and register later

I was let down by CRiS, and now do not trust eBay, Paypal or Barclaycard for protection :ph34r:, it's a mine field out there!

Henrypartridge The Caravan was a 1998, what you referred to was the date I purchased it, I would have been very suspicious I that was the case

Do not blame eBay or PayPal. It has always been very clear that ebay offer no pp protection on vehicles including caravans. Ebay can't know that someone has a stolen item on their site unless it is reported.

Graham

a good few lessons for us all here folks. Just curious Skegmacca. ........ what happened to the caravan ? Did the police collect it from you or what ?

Les.
2. 0ltr 150TDCi TITANIUM X KUGA + 2016 Elddis Crusader Mistral ( Misty )

" I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong "

Lesbunny. .. The following day after reporting it to the Police a PC turned up to issue me with a P. 190D This is a Notice served on me that I may not dispose or alter it in any way. I had the caravan in storage in storage but we decided to buy another bigger caravan and wanted that in storage in it's place so as to satisfies the insurance criteria. We telephoned the Police to advise that the stolen Caravan would be removed from storage and placed on our drive without insurance cover or security locks, they was not bothered. .... from 9/12/13 till 2/1/14 we had no update or information from the Police, I chased them yesterday and the PC said he would get the owner to arrange collection from me as he did now want to have a contractor remove it to a police compound, but I don't want it stuck on my drive, owner is now organising the collection but after 14 months I get the feeling that he does not want it either hence he tried to sell it to me again, he originally brought it to export it to Australia. .... Are they worth a lot more there?

Wispman

I don't blame eBay or Paypal, what I said is I do not trust them, big difference

What age is the van and was the £2000 a realistic market value? It seems odd that a £2000 van is "worth" the assumed high cost of transportation to Australia, with such cost I would have thought the buyer would go for a higher value product; just intrigued.

We looked in 2000 to take ours to the USA and then it was £2000 odd with all the parasitic costs.

Edit: or have I got it wrong and it was only needed for a pending trip to Europe

Edited by JTQ

Van is a 1998 model.

Maybe 2nd hand vans are v. expensive down under.

Graham

Skegmacca, I can't believe this van would be worth exporting to Australia. The shipping costs alone would be more than 2k as you can't put caravans into shipping containers which is the way vast majority of cargo moves around the world these days. Not wishing to open up a new can of worms, but I wonder who would be responsible if the van was now nicked from your drive ?

What a nightmare !

Les.
2. 0ltr 150TDCi TITANIUM X KUGA + 2016 Elddis Crusader Mistral ( Misty )

" I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong "

The Van was a 1998 Elddis and with awning etc was worth the £2k,

I can not see how cost effective it is to ship that distance, Police told me that he had previously shipped two other vans out to Australia, he must have contacts to make it worth while

The caravan is parked on Skegmacca's drive at the owner's risk. Perhaps Skegmacca should charge the owner a finder's fee and a storage fee. A combined fee of £2000 should be about right. ;):rolleyes:

There was a £500 reward for the safe return and capture of perpetrator

The caravan has also benefited from new curtains, soft floor repair and seals all resealed, new step, I dare say it is in better condition now than when we got it

Would be unfair for the rightful owner not to pay out :unsure: