Down Through France

Good Evening and Happy new year to you all,

I am planning to take the caravan down to Spain in early February and can't find any suitable or open camp sites around Le Man, the plan is to drive from Bristol to Folkestone use the tunnel and get as far as Le Man on the first day, second day down to Perpignan and then cross into Spain and beyond, I have found a campsite near Perpignan but alas nothing near Le Man. help needed any suggestions ???

Lily's Dad

The Municipal Campsites websites has a link to sites which are open all year - see here. Unfortunately there's nothing in the immediate area of Le Mans - but your journey time may make it difficult to get there far in one day so you might find something a bit nearer to Calais.

You might also find something on 'Campings near the main routes' which has all sites within 15 km of a major route through Europe.

Otherwise, if you're a caravan club member, then you may find something on the back few pages of the magazine - often British owned sites stay open all year.

Just found this one, which is probably British owned, and described as Open All Year - Bounty Lakes, which is 5 km from Le Mans - and obviously of interest to fishermen too!

Although it is not always to be recommended, if all else fails I think I would use the autoroute areas and choose one with a filling station rather than the quieter picnic areas.

David

Various vans 78-2019,  currently  Hobby Excellent 540 FU and Mercedes E220 CDI Estate

www. caravan-europe. co. uk

Yes, as David suggests plenty of caravanners do choose to stay overnight at Service Areas - you don't have to pay anything, and most have showers for the morning. There is a nice one (we've stayed there) to the north of Le Mans!

Thanks 4 and 5 star, the misses won't allow parking near motorways ( thinks she's going to get pilliged), do you think Le. Man is too far for the first day ?

No. ....Le Mans is 'doable'......we have several times, good roads.

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

I only mentioned it as being too far, thinking it would be at the back end of a day driving from home to Folkestone, the crossing through the tunnel, and then an onward journey, and in winter you may want to get to a campsite before it's absolutely dark! However, it's doable, depending on your crossing time.

Best of luck - and when you've done it do let us know how it went. There's nothing like sharing an experience to help other people.

Just back from driving down to Spain and we did Calais to Orleans in 5 1/2 hours solo without going mad. ..ie travelling at 110 kph for the most time on the AutoRoute, wasn't in a hurry since we just had to get to a hotel at anytime that evening. Le Mans should be around the same time.

We stop overnight in England at Denham CC Site [ 2hrs from the tunnel in early morning ] or you could use Blackhorse Farm CC Site { 15 mins from tunnel ]. This would ensure an early morning crossing to achieve your Le Mans stopover in daylight. As we are not pushed for time we take an extra day.

Safe travelling,

BW

Rather than Le Mans - Perpignan why not aim for Poitiers for the first night (Le Futuriste is a camping cheque site open all year). We have done this from the early morning shuttle several times.

Where in Spain are you heading? It might be easier, from the point of view of open sites that is, to cross the border at San Sebastien (overnight at Larouletta near Bayonne) then either Zaragoza Valencia or Burgos Madrid and the Costas.

Hyundai Santa Fe CRD auto + Burstner Belcanto 525 TL

http://www. oldagetraveller. net/

I have had a look in my log book and in September 2013 we went from a little site in Tuffe, about 20 miles East of Le Mans, to Neufchatel en Bray on our route back to Calais in 3. 5 hours. It took us just over another 2 hours to get from Neufchatel en Bray to Calais. We weren't travelling slowly and you may be able to do it in 5. 5 hours, depending on your outfit, the road and weather conditions.

It is a pity that the site at Tuffe is closed until April as it is very good and worth a visit.

Alan

After more than 35 years caravanning changed to motorhome for 5 years and loved it but now back in the fold of caravanning but still miss our motorhome.

Kia Sorento KX3 Auto - 2021 Coachman Laser Xcel 575 Sussex Caravans Limited Edition

Thanks for all the replies.

we are leaving home about 0800 and hopefully crossing about lunch time, that would give me about 4 hours to Le Man, and I forgot you have to add one hour so it will be dark when we arrive. I have a Jaguar Stype diesel and a Sterling Vittese van so should be able to maintain a good average speed.

The reason for the Journey is to take possesion of a new house near Murcia.

There's a basic Brit-owned site just to the west of Limoges, Camping Fontclair nr Bellac, it's in the CC France directory, not much of a detour if you're going Poitiers - Limoges - Toulouse

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

Thanks for all the replies.

we are leaving home about 0800 and hopefully crossing about lunch time, that would give me about 4 hours to Le Man, and I forgot you have to add one hour so it will be dark when we arrive. I have a Jaguar Stype diesel and a Sterling Vittese van so should be able to maintain a good average speed.

careful with your speed calculations. Check your vehicle's gross train weight, i. e. it's weight plus its total towing capacity. . The Jag S type I looked at was 3,530kg. If it exceeds 3,500kg your speed is limited to 90kph (56mph) in France, whatever you are towing, even if your outfit is perfectly balanced and safe at 100mph.

http://www. caravanclub. co. uk/overseas-holidays/advice-and-information/compulsory-requirements/speed-limits

Room for any caravans in the garden then???

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Room for any caravans in the garden then???

geoff

You planning a rally then Geoff????? :D

G

I am towing down to Portugal mid-Jan stopping first night at Baie de Somme services near Abbeville (a very safe aire, security patrolled tho' the night) then stopping near Tours and finally in France at Salles (just past Bordeuax). The weather in France can be a bit iffy, last year there was a blizard out of Calais (sunny in Dover) and very bad ice around Poitiers, the police closed the roads for a while.

I am towing down to Portugal mid-Jan stopping first night at Baie de Somme services near Abbeville (a very safe aire, security patrolled tho' the night) then stopping near Tours and finally in France at Salles (just past Bordeuax). The weather in France can be a bit iffy, last year there was a blizard out of Calais (sunny in Dover) and very bad ice around Poitiers, the police closed the roads for a while.

We had a very soggy overnight at Salles in December 2012, at le Bilos. The site was adequate for an overnight but not much more. The plus was that it was very cheap and we were the only ones there so we stayed hooked up. Toilet block was a bit 'primitif'. Personally I would prefer the extra hour and a half to get to La Rouletta.