Unicorn 2 Alde Not Working On Electric

agzy

I have had my Cadiz for just over 12 months and it had the annual service in November and have not used it since till going away for new year. We were on EHU but soon noticed that heating not working although the water was getting hot. Tried it on gas and all worked fine but when switched back to electric no heat at all. I am waiting for dealer to open but was wondering what he might say as the problem, anyone had this problem or know what it is and what repair entails?

CARPE DIEM

While we're talking, envious time is fleeing: pluck the day, put no trust in the future.

I know this sounds obvious,but ensure that you have switched the heater switch"on" and that you have moved the control panel icon to electric use. Cheers Jim

When I first had mine, I didn't realise what Jim said, above. I thought the switch (under the front seating area on our vigo) was just for hot water. Is the electric supply symbol on, in the control panel by the door? Have you selected the 1/2/3kw setting?

heater switch etc must be on or you would have no hot water.

sounds like the pump is not going.

check the temp setting on the control panel

Swift Colonsay 2006 2013 bailey valencia u2-- 2013 Elddis Affinity 550- 2017 Adria adora isonzo 613 platinum

As John says, if the water get hots when on electric then the elements are working. Either the pump is faulty or maybe the controller but more likely to be finger trouble at the controller.

Recheck all the settings just to make sure that you haven't inadvertently switched something off that should be on (or vice versa)

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

Been using it on numerous occasions on this and earlier van and have checked and double checked panel and switches. As I say great on gas and the pump symbol shows whichever I use and the fluid in holder tank is showing movement as well so not the pump. I was wondering about the Alde heating element thingies (can't be bothered going to van and getting handbook to get full name) which suppose to heat it without water (it doesn't) might be faulty? Dealer doesn't open until Monday 7th so in limbo re answers up to now.

CARPE DIEM

While we're talking, envious time is fleeing: pluck the day, put no trust in the future.

You originally told us the water was getting hot on EHU so that confirms the electric heating elements are working and that "bit" in the given info rather threw me.

I simply can't see if both the gas and EHU are heating the water, which means the inhibited fluid must be being heated and the circ' pump works on shifting this on gas why it can't do so if the fluid is heated by electricity?? A totally baffling set of conditions.

The circ' pump disturbing the header's surface far from means the fluid is being circulated, however it must be if the van is heating up on gas; I simply can't see how the circulation is affected by which heat source is in use?

Can you please recheck the "facts" for us to help you as with respect they don't add up.

There is a small glass fuse within the Alde boiler, which can be accessed by removing the black plastic cover. I think that fuse safeguards the link between the boiler and the control panel but I'm not sure what else (if anything) that it protects. I'm sorry if this reply seems a bit vague, but I think it might be worth checking the fuse just in case.

We fight not for glory, nor for wealth nor honours . ..

but only and alone we fight for freedom,

which no good man surrenders but with his life.

Can you hear the circulation pump running as water heating might cause a disturbance in the header tank ?

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

I'm with JTQ, the fault is odd, assuming the heating does work on gas, then the pump is good.

And assuming the hot water works on the electric only then the elements are good.

I only use electric with my Alde, but I have found that if the caravan is nose down the water struggles to circulate, but the header tank will bubble way.

Other than just checking the two fuses under the black cover, it there ok I would be phoning Alde for suggestions.

Edited by xtrailman

When you switch on the fused spur/230v isolator switch for the boiler are you getting the little plug symbol in the corner of the control panel display. If not then I would be checking the supply (making sure no mcbs have tripped)

Abbey Aventura 318 (2006)

Vauxhall Vectra sri cdti 150 estate

All EHU items were working ok (I am home now) and I could hear the pump when the wardrobe door open to view header tank, and the hot water switch shows red glow when on and all as previously described so, as suggested, I will phone Alde if they are back at work. Agree with all it is baffling. Incidentally, while having the problem I phoned a mate who is fairly experienced at these things and he made me go through the whole procedure while he was on the line and agreed I was following correct procedures and he couldn't come up with a solution; I seem to have lost a bet with him as I said this forum would solve the mystery in minutes, ah well, thanks all anyway.

I have had my Cadiz for just over 12 months and it had the annual service in November and have not used it since till going away for new year. We were on EHU but soon noticed that heating not working although the water was getting hot. Tried it on gas and all worked fine but when switched back to electric no heat at all. I am waiting for dealer to open but was wondering what he might say as the problem, anyone had this problem or know what it is and what repair entails?

They too open on the 7th Jan

CARPE DIEM

Have a check on the power setting for electric. On mine if I have it on 3Kw it doesn't run the pump for the heating, this may be to do with the max power rating for the unit. Try it on 2Kw and see if it works then.

I know this sounds obvious but - you haven't reduced the temperature setting too low so that the central heating isn't kicking in have you?

Cheers,

Tanker.

VW Passat + Bailey Unicorn S4 Valencia.

Thanks guys. Following on from Cvan1's question re small power icon I went to the van and connected it up and found that, after starting up the heating system as per the book this icon is no longer showing although the pump icon is and the electric hob on oven is working (this is how I checked that nothing had tripped and 240 working) as are the 13 amp sockets, so the fault must be with the heating. I thought about unscrewing black cover off heating/boiler 'box' but, on the basis a fuse may have blown, I want it checked out anyway so will leave that to dealer. Incidentally, it was working prior to service.

CARPE DIEM

Good luck at the dealers! I think we met each other at the dealers last summer when we collected our Cadiz after a lot of warranty work

Ian

Good luck at the dealers! I think we met each other at the dealers last summer when we collected our Cadiz after a lot of warranty work

Ian

Yes Ian, your wife was cleaning up the mess they left if I remember it correctly.

CARPE DIEM

Thanks guys. Following on from Cvan1's question re small power icon I went to the van and connected it up and found that, after starting up the heating system as per the book this icon is no longer showing although the pump icon is and the electric hob on oven is working (this is how I checked that nothing had tripped and 240 working) as are the 13 amp sockets, so the fault must be with the heating. I thought about unscrewing black cover off heating/boiler 'box' but, on the basis a fuse may have blown, I want it checked out anyway so will leave that to dealer. Incidentally, it was working prior to service.

I had problems on mine once when I couldn't get it going properly, I reset the system, try the following:

Press the Store/Reset button for

10 seconds. The control panel is

reset to the factory setting.

2. The main breaker to the control

panel is in the “Off” position,

Gas is on, Electricity at 1kW and

22°C.

The pump is in automatic

position. The lower menu row is

not lit up.

Hope this works.

Hi

As Paul said above, within the control panel settings is a maximum load limiting function for use when on sites with hook up ratings of less than 16A.

It might be worth checking what this is set as, if it is set less than 3kw then this could be your problem other things will still work providing they don't exceed the setting of the load limiter.

However the reset procedure described by Hairyspinner should switch this to off which is the factory setting so that may work.

IS this current limit standard on the U2, as its a option on the U1 even though it gives the impression that it has it?

Was the water heater on if so turn it off then turn the heater on and it will work (hopefully) the booster on the water heater overrides the heater, hope this is ok

Was the water heater on if so turn it off then turn the heater on and it will work (hopefully) the booster on the water heater overrides the heater, hope this is ok

Valid point if only electricity had been used, however the OP said the heating works on gas.

If as suggested the panel was set for "hot water" then the heating would not have worked on gas either.

Well not for 30 minutes, and of course the pump would not have been disturbing the header as reported.

Edit: spell checker has mind of its own!!

Edited by JTQ

I had a similiar problem towards end of last year. It turned out to be loose wiring in the 'coffin' shaped in line conector box. I had to take the cover off it and push the connectors back together.

Hope that helps.

Cheers again all. I'm sure it is something simple as abbey advises but I'm phoning dealer on Monday and he can check it out under warranty. will report back when I know what is causing it.

CARPE DIEM