Water Coming In Rear Window, Help! Advice Please

Hayden

We have just brought (12th October) a 2000 Elddis Typhoon ex2000, we haven used it yet :-( anyway I went in it a couple of days ago and water has been getting through the rear window in the bathroom, it is gathering on the bottom of the window seal then dripping on to the work top and then running on to the floor, I've dried it all out now,

What could cause this? Could it be the window rubber? It looks fine? Would this be covered on the 3 month warrantee we got with the van, We got it from Roundstone caravans in Sussex but I can't get through to them and there web site isn't working?

I'm a real worrier, the smallest of things keep me up all night so as you can imagine this is really worrying me!!

Worse case they won't do, it can it be fixed? We used all our savings to buy this van and dont have a penny left :-(

08 Vectra Sri 1. 9 Cdti (150bhp) + '06 Bailey Pageant Bretagne

Have you closed the window properly ?

I had the same problem on mine and then realised i had left the window on the night vent . ..

Try that first. ..

Yeah it's all closed up,

I did tape a bag over half the window on Monday, Tuesday it was dry, this afternoon there was a little in there :-(

If the catches are ok. ..check the seal for splits etc. ..they can stick to the window if not used for a while. ...silicone spray or olive oil makes them supple. ...they may have just dried out and become hardened/ compressed.

Check for splits. ....or if it has pulled away from the outer surface. ....if all appears ok then I would get it back to the dealers for further investigation and possible new seal. ....not a big job but make sure it's dry before they fit a new seal otherwise it takes ages to dry out.

I got my monarch in August 2012 and found the front outer windows let small amounts of water in when it bounced it down on our first week away. ..back to dealer and new design seals fitted. ..two days later all ok. All under warranty.

Edited by Guest

Thanks morelander999. Puts my mind at rest a bit knowing it poss isn't the end of the world and is fixable!

I have some silicone spay, shall I just spray the rubbers and leave window open? Or spray and close the window?

Give the rubbers clean first. ..don't use a scratchy sponge. ....make sure any green or mould is off, then dry off with soft cloth then when dry give them a spray then wipe over gently to remove excess. ....dont use wd40 ( my mate is a window fitter and hates the stuff ) get some spray specifically for seals / car sunroofs etc. ...then close the windows as normal. ...there are 2,settings on the catch. ..CLOSED and night vent. ...make sure it is closed correctly,

Best of luck

Thanks ill have a go now

Hayden. ......I live in West Sussex and recently we have experienced horizontal rain with some force behind it . ....propelled by high winds. .....akin to blasting a caravan with a pressure washer!!!!

This could cause a leak in a window seal that otherwise would not happen.

Your a better man than me if you are going outside to "have a go" in the horizontal rain we have here at present

. ....or is the Sun shining in Yapton?

GBWest Sussex

Maybe I won't!! It's chucking it down!!

Gafferbill - I must have posted at the same time as you lol

I think you may be right, I've washed the van using a hose and have never noticed any water before,

Maybe the silicone will work? Fingers crossed as its really stressing me out esp as we used all our savings buying it!!

Just a bit if advice re contacting the dealer - they're probably closed for the hols and should be reopening by next Monday I would think, possibly tomorrow if you're lucky.

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

this could be caused by the sealant between the van and the rubber drying up. I fitted new front rubber but I managed to fix it temp forcing sealant into the part of the rubber were it was leaking until I could fit a new rubber.

The more I learn the more I know,the more I know the more I forget,the more I forget the less I know :blink:

The dealer you mentioned. Neither . com or . co. uk exist on any links so maybe they have changed their website or are experiencing some on-line problems. Ever the optimist!

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

I know that worrys me, I've left a message for the to call me.

It's all really doing my head in! I'm always thinking the worse! The dealer has gone under or they won't do it, and its going to cost ££££'s to sort it or worse it cant be fixed, It's giving me a real headache

Though the weblinks don't work (maybe their webmaster company has gone bust) - at least the telephone works so it is very unlikely that they are out of business. So that's good news.

Can't help with your query, but Don't Panic as it doesn't sound really serious.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Back in September our 2010 crusader front side windows started leaking in same way as op described.

Waiting for date in January to be collected and windows replaced.

A Vanner without a van due to the demands of DIY and SWMBO - 40 years was a good run though :unsure:

Now a Motorhome Learner with a Fiat Toad :o

Try :- www. roundstonecaravans. net/

In the past I have always found them to be most helpful, and they did replace the psu on our Bailey Senator within the warranty period.

Freelander 2 closely followed by a Golden Retriever and a 2012 Bailey Unicorn Cadiz

We went away over Christmas, and I noticed water seeping in on the lower RH side of centre

front window, quite badly actually. I cured it temporarily by opening it to night setting!!! Why that

stopped it I don't know. The window appears to be warped from top to bottom edges, preventing

the centre catches from connecting. (Think I need a new window! :( ) Anyone any ideas??

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

We bought from Roundstone. They are really nice people, very helpful and are probably closed for the bank holiday. As they have been there since the 20s/30s and also have a camp site the rear of the dealership, they probably haven't gone bust. Also CaptS spoke to them last week to book our van in for a service next year - and Pete was telling him how busy the service dept. are right into next year. They are an approved service agent and have a good reputation. I would try not to worry too much.

MrsS

Subaru Legacy towing a Luna Clubman 475 CK2 (we hope!)

All we are saying, is give bees a chance

Thank you MrsS. I found pete very helpful last time I spoke to him, its a pain as its not that local

No, it's not that great for us either - about an hour if the traffic is kind. But then no dealers are that close - in the SE, dealers are few and far between. Blessed if I know why as plenty of caravans on the road. Not much storage either. .......

But it's blowing a hooley and the rain IS seriously hammering down in this part of the world and has been leaking through our sitting room window - and that's never happened before. So not surprised if it is getting through caravan windows. CaptS says we've had 1. 1 inches of rain since this morning (on top of the 3 inches we had in the storms last week). We have Lily Luna in her storage bag and she seems to be keeping warm and dry (fingers much crossed).

Anyway, Hayden, think positive - bet Roundstone are hard at it again, if not this week, then certainly next. And the guys here seem to think it is a fairly straightforward job and nothing to worry about!

MrsS

Thanks guys and girls ill try and stop worrying soo much!!

What was I worried about!!! Pete from Roundstone called me this morning and I'm taking the van in tomorrow (I forgot how nice he was!) he said "leave it with us and we're get it sorted" I'm soo glad I brought from them :-)

See, what did I say. They are such nice people and they also value their reputation. I am sure all will be well.

MrsS

Just seen this thread, doesn't sound a serious problem, glad it's getting sorted.

Compass Shadow 1988