Holidaying In France

Happy New Year everyone,

Can anyone give me any advice on caravanning in france . w. ould be our first time, so nothing too adventurous please, somewhere for couples might be nice, although not essential, any nice campsites you would recommend and tips for journey please

Thanks Dode.

If its first time driving on the right, Beware when turning out of a one way street.

It's all to easy to go onto the left.

Lunar Zenith Citroen C5 2. 2 HDI Citroen Picasso 1. 6 HDI. , Vauxhall Vectra Design 150 bhp Soon to be, 2014 Sprite Major 4 sr. With ATC.
The Internet has had no effect on my life whatsoever. com

Its so easy, we did it last year for the first time and we are already booked for 2014 for a 25 night round trip to the south of France. The road systems are very easy to use and the roads we used to get to the west of France were very nice . Not as many pot holes as the UK.

You say you are in West Yorkshire. We are in Leeds so if you want us to call by and have a chat we would be happy to help out. We are also Club Voyage members with Brittany ferries and you could use our booking code if you want to get yourself a 10% discount.

Go for it. you wont be disappointed.

Our first run on the ferry was with a Shogun and twin axle caravan and it is so easy. We did a video of it with my phone, but I have no idea how to upload it to the site. LOL.

Mitsubishi Shogun 3. 2 SG3 197 BHP, 2014, Auto in White . Looking for a 7m German caravan.

Its fantastic over there we went last year down to the Vendee we did route national all the way. We used Euro tunnel with our Tesco vouchers en route down we stayed at a municipal site at La Fleche its approx. 6-7 hrs down lovely clean site and the town is a short walk away with plenty of resteraunts/bars Eurotunnel is easy with the cara van just like everything dont rush and take your time

Cleaning the House while the kids are at home is like clearing snow with it still snowing

VW Touareg + Bailey Verona = Happy Family :)

We have also done the same as hell9396. Book eurotunnel via tesco points. We haven't used the ferry though. I believe that if you go to the show you can bag a right deal for the ferry.

We have done France three times travelling to south of France . ...love it and never had any major issues.

We are trying Spain this year with the long ferry to Bilbao. Enjoy France you will have no regrets just plan well and take your time.

KIA SORENTO XSE. 2011 SWIFT 545 MERLIN

We're off next year following the Waltons lead. Off down to the vendee, but using the ferry from Portsmouth to st Malo. Yes it's more xpensive, but thought that as its our first time there we will take the easy option

Happy New Year everyone,

Can anyone give me any advice on caravanning in france . w. ould be our first time, so nothing too adventurous please, somewhere for couples might be nice, although not essential, any nice campsites you would recommend and tips for journey please

Thanks Dode.

Travelling in France is a dream compared to UK. ...quieter roads, no lorries at weekends, less crowded, more relaxed, cheap parking, cheap diesel. ...and lots more benefits.

We too use Tesco points to cross via Eurotunnel. (reward points are trebled to make it even more good value)

The first place to start is deciding a few things. ....

Time of year you want to go? There are low season cheap rates at campsites all over Europe. Google ACSI.

Which area of France? France is a big country with (IMHO) large areas of less interesting areas (”the vaste fields of France" as Shakespeare put it). So deciding what you want to see is the startingpoint.

Coast or City or country? There's so much to see, you need to prioritise.

We're off next year following the Waltons lead. Off down to the vendee, but using the ferry from Portsmouth to st Malo. Yes it's more xpensive, but thought that as its our first time there we will take the easy option

We've been caravanning in France since the mid 80's

We always go from Portsmouth, in recent years always to St. Malo, as we live just 3 miles from the Portsmouth International Ferryport.

We like the St. Malo route as we can be in the Vendee by lunchtime or Bordeaux by teatime!

We do use the Autoroutes (and pay the tolls) as for us it's just so much more efficient in getting to where we want to go.

That said the Autoroutes from St Malo to the Vendee costs under €10.

As has been stated driving is France is so much more relaxed that in the UK. .. just take your time.

HTH

G.

We always go from Portsmouth, in recent years always to St. Malo, as we live just 3 miles from the Portsmouth International Ferryport.

We like the St. Malo route as we can be in the Vendee by lunchtime or Bordeaux by teatime!

We do use the Autoroutes (and pay the tolls) as for us it's just so much more efficient in getting to where we want to go.

As has been stated driving is France is so much more relaxed that in the UK. .. just take your time.

HTH

G.

You'll have to let me know your preferred routes as being a newbie I would have just followed the sat nav. Happy with 10€ in tolls!

You'll have to let me know your preferred routes as being a newbie I would have just followed the sat nav. Happy with 10€ in tolls!

St. Malo -> Rennes -> Nantes on the E03 and then the A86 and A87 to La Roche-sur-Yon. . then in our case the D747 to La Tranche sur Mer. Tolls under €10.

For Bordeaux just stay on the E03 tolls under €40 and 320 miles between breakfast and teatime with a relaxed stop for lunch!!

HTH

G.

Edited by chapmag

St. Malo -> Rennes -> Nantes on the E03 and then the A86 and A87 to La Roche-sur-Yon. . then in our case the D747 to La Tranche sur Mer. Tolls under €10.

For Bordeaux just stay on the E03 tolls under €40 and 320 miles between breakfast and teatime with a relaxed stop for lunch!!

HTH

G.

Perfect!

Perfect!

Forgot to say. ... Aire de Pommeniac just south of Rennes and Bain de Bretagne is an ideal services stop about an hour south of the ferry. .. just to take a break and maybe buy a sandwich for lunch.

They have very good showers etc as well but we haven't needed them.

G.

Forgot to say. ... Aire de Pommeniac just south of Rennes and Bain de Bretagne is an ideal services stop about an hour south of the ferry. .. just to take a break and maybe buy a sandwich for lunch.

They have very good showers etc as well but we haven't needed them.

G.

Sent you a pm

HTH

G.

Just wondering where in La Tranche you stay last year we were at Camping Du Jard

Cleaning the House while the kids are at home is like clearing snow with it still snowing

VW Touareg + Bailey Verona = Happy Family :)

Whatever you decide to do, don't try to see the whole of France in one visit. France is a very big country and if you try to visit too many areas you'll spend your whole holiday travelling. In my view it's much better to choose one particular region and spend the holiday getting to know that area in more depth.

We fight not for glory, nor for wealth nor honours . ..

but only and alone we fight for freedom,

which no good man surrenders but with his life.

Just wondering where in La Tranche you stay last year we were at Camping Du Jard

We stayed at Camping du Jard once in 1986 and since whenever in La Tranche we've stayed at Camping Bel.

Pool and slides aren't as big. ... but it's a much more family oriented site, smaller and all around more welcoming IMHO!

And of course it's a lot nearer the own square and supermarket.

HTH

G.

I too have been caravaning on the continent since 1980 and if I had to pick one tip it would be don't be too influenced by the upfront ferry fare, depending on where you live and your destination you could save a few pounds on the ferry and then spend a couple of extra days on the road plus lots more on fuel and tolls by choosing the cheapest crossing. You might find some useful info on my website .

David

Various vans 78-2019,  currently  Hobby Excellent 540 FU and Mercedes E220 CDI Estate

www. caravan-europe. co. uk