Made A Big Mistake, Help Needed

bazz00

wi have a 1991 abi ace ambassador, i took the battery out to charge yesterday and decided to put back in today, only problem is i put the battery in back to front, i. e negative connector on positive terminal, positive connector on negative terminal, it was like this for no more than a couple of minutes but now i have no power to my lights, i changed the battery back to the correct way,

i have power to the control panel where my battery meter is, when i turn the switch to lesuire battery the indicator dial goes to full and my aerial dish thing although it has never found a signal if i turn it on a red light appears on it so i guess it has power,

have checked every fuse i can find, under the front seats behind the the battery is is where all my 12v and 240 v fuses are, i have a small fuse box with the following 12v fuses 2 x 25 amp, 2 x 15 amp and 2 x 5 amp, i checked them all and they all looked fine but bought and fitted new ones anyway which didnt change anything

ontop of the battery charger are 2 x 20 amp fuses, again these look fine but i didnt have any new 20 amp fuses so put in 30 amp fuses with no change either

the only other fuses i can see are my 240v fuses, ther is 1 main fuse and 2 next to it which i havent touched as i dont think they would be the cause

have had a look around the van and cant find any other fuses

read a thread about a guy who did the exact same thing with the exact same problem and he fixed by replacing the batteries 20 amp fuse which is meant to be behind or near battery, i have looked in battery compartment, and behind abttery from inside van but can only find the 2 20amp fuses that are on top of charger

am going to hook the van upto the mains now and will post back any findings

i dont have a volt meter so cant test where power is getting to and where it isnt and fairly new to caravans so i could be missing something simple

any help would be greatly appreciated

EDIT

plugged in mains and switched to mains power all 12v working, turn mains off no 12v working

Edited by bazz00

I would like to help but I haven't got a clue what it would be.

You have battery volts to the meter, so the battery fuse I would say is ok.

All lights work on mains so I would say the fuses are good.

Have you a selector switch that needs placing into the correct position to work of battery?

I'm not familiar with swifts so can offer no more help, perhaps someone who owns one, or the swift forum can help.

I would like to help but I haven't got a clue what it would be.

You have battery volts to the meter, so the battery fuse I would say is ok.

All lights work on mains so I would say the fuses are good.

Have you a selector switch that needs placing into the correct position to work of battery?

I'm not familiar with swifts so can offer no more help, perhaps someone who owns one, or the swift forum can help.

hi, its not a swift its an abi ace ambassador, just forget to update my forum profile,

the selector is on caravan battery so lights should work from battery but they dont only when mains plugged in and turned on

How did you get the terminals on? They are usually different sizes so the positive connector will not physically fit on the neg terminal.

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

I think the wiring will be similar as my 93 abi, the fuses you have checked are for the road lights, on mine there is a small access panel next to the light above the sink which has some fuses there for the lights/awning light,water pump,12v socket

Towing with 2. 0 darkside mk3 Ford Focus hatch named the Naked Turtle, towing a 1993 Abi Jubilee Emperor Named Michelle

The battery posts are different but some suppliers sell battery clamps of the same size for positive and negative.

knarf

Strange one this as lighting is not really polarity conscious unless it is LED's

I reckon it's got to be a fuse somewhere but then why does all interior lights work from the mains.

One other thing is, did you replace the original 20 amp fuses where you say you fitted 30amp ones.

Fuses are fitted for a purpose and should not be replaced with ones of an increased rating.

Could turn out to something simple but I would go back through all connections and fuses, also check if there is a master switch controlling lighting.

Good luck

2017 Mercedes Benz 220 CLS  AMG design Shooting Brake. 

Strange one this as lighting is not really polarity conscious unless it is LED's

I reckon it's got to be a fuse somewhere but then why does all interior lights work from the mains.

One other thing is, did you replace the original 20 amp fuses where you say you fitted 30amp ones.

Fuses are fitted for a purpose and should not be replaced with ones of an increased rating.

Could turn out to something simple but I would go back through all connections and fuses, also check if there is a master switch controlling lighting.

Good luck

yes, they have 30 amp fuses in at the minute but should be 20 amp, alkthough they are working as power is going through them and on a sepaerate wirte after the fuse is what powers the aerial/dish and that has power on just 12v or 240v

Are you sure the lights do not work off 12v only ie they are not mains powered lights, they work when on 240v as the mains simply keeps the battery charged which in turn powers the lights, having said that the lights shd work if you have it hooked up to the mains.

Powrtouch AWD Movers. E & P Compact Levelling System.

yes, they have 30 amp fuses in at the minute but should be 20 amp, alkthough they are working as power is going through them and on a sepaerate wirte after the fuse is what powers the aerial/dish and that has power on just 12v or 240v

Buzz, did you checkout ldsundance suggestion?

Edited by milkymarsh

Buzz, did you checkout ldsundance suggestion?

not yet am going to look later today

not yet am going to look later today

Hi

this may help if its zig control Panel manuals from Barry @ http://www. freewebs. com/12voltsdc/zigmanuals. htm

!993 wiring diagram

post-253-0-61396900-1388565360_thumb.jpg

Hi

this may help if its zig control Panel manuals from Barry @ http://www. freewebs. com/12voltsdc/zigmanuals. htm

!993 wiring diagram

thats really helpful, the wiring diagram shows that all i have checked has been the road light fuses, so the 12v interior light fuses must be next to the sink light

looking at the link you sent for pdf manuals it doesnt match anything i have, i wouldnt evendescribe it as a control panel, just a 4 switches for caravan or car battery, water pump, awning light n something else, there are no fuses on the outside, as soon as i have woken up a ittle will investgate further and let you guys know, thanksfor the help to

Hi

Way be worth trying

1)Disconnect the mains hook up

2) connect the car to the van with the "N" plug

3) select "Car battery" on the control panel test out the 12 volt ( from the wiring diagram there do's not appear to be any habitation relays )

If the above works then the problem will be the supply from the van battery or a fuse / loose wiring connection

Note

Its best to check the fuses with a multimeter set on continuity setting A faulty fuse is not always visible to the eye

Regards Dave

There will be a fuse somewhere in the battery feed wires. The bulbs may not be polarity sensitive but the charger is as it has a rectifier. Probably, when the battery was connected the wrong way round, this rectifier blew the fuse in the battery lead. In our last van, there was a fusebox, but the fuse for the battery was separate, inline, loose under the bed cabinet.

its fixed, thanks to carabiker and ldsundance as your advice to there being another fusebox next to the light above kitchen sink, opened that up and a 15 amp fuse labelled battery had blown, replaced that and 12v lighting is restored.

thanks alot guys

I love a happy ending.

Just beginning our adventure. 95% of my time on CT I use my phone. As a result correct spelling and grammer will be used sparingly. This is due to fat fingers. Please don't let it bother you.

That's the beauty of this Site, well done guys!!

Phil.

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

Glad you got it sorted.

I couldn't work out how all the 12V was working on mains, but not the battery, even though the battery meter showed good.

Glad you got it sorted.

I couldn't work out how all the 12V was working on mains, but not the battery, even though the battery meter showed good.

me neither, guessing the 12v lights must have a seperate live for 12v from the charger when running on mains

The lighting (like most other dc services) will be supplied from a central distribution that will, in turn, be supplied via whatever dc source is available. Because the battery fuse had blown, it was not able to supply the central distribution whereas the charger could.

If the charger fuse had blown then you would only have had battery supply. This is a common reason why batteries go flat because everything seems fine until one day the lights go out and, without dc services, nothing else works e. g. heating, fridge etc.

A simple check is that if the charger is working the 'van's voltmeter should read around 13. 6 - 13. 8V. If it's 12. x then the charger is not working and the clock is ticking for those lights going out ;)