Odd Few Water Spots

universalady

Not quite sure how to explain really. We got our first caravan (Swift Challenger 2003) in June this year, and love it! So beginning of December, we gave it a good wash, made sure it was completely dry and put a breathable caravan cover on it, as it is staying on our drive till our next trip in March.

Any-hoo, at the weekend I decided to go in and make sure everything was OK. Everything was taken out, cupboard doors left slightly open, everything drained down etc etc, I also left a couple of cheapy moisture traps dotted about too (they need to be replaced). Everything was fine, apart from a few spots of water, looked like condensation under a small shelf above the toilet next to the separate shower. I have no idea how this got here! I am 99. 99% certain there is no leak from outside, but there's not anywhere else in the 'van where this has happened.

There is a covered section approx 3/4 foot tall, a few inches wide, which I assume houses the shower pipes between the shower cubicle and the toilet and felt slightly damp/cold. Now I'm getting really worried that we could have a damp issue. ..

I've attached a pic of the housing (it's the ribbed wood), the few spots of water are just under the shelf, right next to the shower, and it feels a bit cold/damp to the side of the shower. Could anyone throw any light on this? Should I unscrew the housing to have a further look or leave to a professional?

It is still under warranty from the dealership, and we are having it checked over in about a month anyway to make sure it will be safe to use for the summer

Edited by universalady

I wouldn't touch the housing as it's still under warranty. Phone the dealer and mention it to him/her, see what they say. Which part of the country are you in? Have you been affected by the recent storms? Have the prevailing winds driven against that side of the van? Is there a roof light above the area? I ask this because strong winds blew the rain under the edge of our Heki rooflight in our 2013 Swift, causing a few spots of water underneath it. Maybe that's what happened to yours.

Apart from that, I wouldn't worry too much about it, your 'van looks to be very clean and well looked after.

Hope this helps, Mike :):)

2014 SsangYong Rexton W towing a 2017 Sprite Major 4EB. (After June 9th).

Thanks Mike, we're in the Midlands, so the weather has actually been OK so far, a bit of rain, but nothing like the downpours other parts of the country have had. There's no 'inlet' of any kind round that area, plus the 'van is covered, so I can't see how outside water could have got in on that little bit, and when I say little bit, the few odd spots cover about 2/3 inches thats all

I'll mention it when I get it booked in at the dealership, see what they think

The water spots are just above the flush tank. Has it been emptied for the winter? If it's full of cold water, that MIGHT cause condensation, hence the water droplets.

Mike.

2014 SsangYong Rexton W towing a 2017 Sprite Major 4EB. (After June 9th).

Have you spilled any of the crystals from the water traps?

I put two inside my van even though it's stored in a heated garage . .just in case. ...

I went to check last week and found several water spots on the work tops and on the sink top. ...thought it had rained in !!! But then realised it was small pieces of the water trap moisture crystals I must have dropped when filling up the traps. ...quickly mopped up and van swept out/ hoovered. ....no more water spots.

Or it could just be condensation / cold bridging . ...have you drained down all the I pipes etc ?

Hi universalady. What you are describing and the fact that there is a gallery rail on the surface of the shelf it makes me thing that you might have what is known as 'Cold Spell'. This can happen on or with a great many materials including plastic,metal,glass,porcelain.

It does not necessarily have to be as a result of dripping down/onto a surface from one to another,it can transmit from one surface across to another.

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

It may also be condensation from the mirror, another cold spot area.

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

Thankyou all for your responses. I am pretty certain it is not condensation, purely because I cannot find any in any other part of the van, and these small droplets have occurred in a very small space. I must admit that I personally did not empty all the tanks, pipes etc, I will check with the better half later though

Have you spilled any of the crystals from the water traps?

I put two inside my van even though it's stored in a heated garage . .just in case. ...

I went to check last week and found several water spots on the work tops and on the sink top. ...thought it had rained in !!! But then realised it was small pieces of the water trap moisture crystals I must have dropped when filling up the traps. ...quickly mopped up and van swept out/ hoovered. ....no more water spots.

Or it could just be condensation / cold bridging . ...have you drained down all the I pipes etc ?

It has been discussed on various forums that moisture traps are a waste of time.

Because of the ventilation gaps in caravans moisture will get into caravans, & all that the trap does is draw more moisture into the caravan.

Hyundai Terracan pulling a Burstner Trecento 530 easily
I thought I saw a light at the end of the tunnel, but it was somone with a torch

It has been discussed on various forums that moisture traps are a waste of time.

Because of the ventilation gaps in caravans moisture will get into caravans, & all that the trap does is draw more moisture into the caravan. [/

Personal opinion.

Edited by Guest

I don't think the traps are capable of drawing water into the caravan - they just soak up moisture from the air that's passing through. I agree that moisture traps can't possibly do much good in such a large area as a caravan where moisture laden air is constantly moving through but neither will they do much harm if they're emptied frequently.

The key to a dry van is ventilation, ventilation, ventilation! As long as you're not going to get ingress of rain, open a number of windows on night latch setting, drop down the door beneath the oven ( lots of lovely draughts there) and leave small cupboard doors open.