Kia ? No Thanks

Bob From Dunstable

After waiting for twelve weeks for news of when my Sorento would be delivered, and the Dealer still not able to even give me a date when the car would be built, I have cancelled my order. The Dealer was extremely apologetic and said that he is as disappointed with Kia as I am.

I chose a Sorento over a Santa Fe because I was quoted two months (absolute max three) delivery whereas it was six months for a Santa Fe.

I have lost all trust in Kia, they appear to favour the far east markets and keep any orders for the UK as something to do when they have spare capacity.

I have been buying cars for fifty years now and I have never been treated with such disdain (by the manufacturer, not the Dealer ). My order was obviously of little value to them and they would not give the Dealer any information at all other than "build date not yet set".

I can`t imagine ever looking at a Kia again.

Visited the Mazda Dealer yesterday, given a delivery date before I had even placed an order for a CX5 175 Sport Nav Auto, agreed a discounted price and part exchange and left with full confidence that the delivery date, which is only a few weeks away as the vehicle is manufactured already, will be met.

Kia have a lot to learn !

Bob

Mercedes Benz E220 AMG Line Auto Estate and Bailey S4 Unicorn Cadiz

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you advise Kia on Customer relations ?

Bob

This issue has been around for 15 months and is reasonably well known on the internet - Hyundai UK and Kia UK haven't been given any information from Korea they can publish, either about the reason or when the situation will change.

Other than refuse to accept orders what could they do differently - and if they refused to accept orders they wouldn't get any allocation from Korea at all.

Edited by Black Grouse

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

we have 3 hyundai I40's in the work fleet. everyone has ended up being a different spec to what was on order due to no chance of delivery on time. the last one has the larger taxable engine and the dealer has refunded the cost of the extra tax. all orders were placed well in advance of when they were required.

A seemingly problem free 2010 model Adria Altea 542dk that has more than its fair share of use.

Do you advise Kia on Customer relations ?

Bob

It is not a case of customer relations, business & economics are what it is all about. The mazda is built and probably already on it's way to the UK. Kia are bound to deliver to their most lucrative market first,who wouldn't?

formerly ClassikFan

It happens with other marques as well and just depends on exchange rates and where a manufacturer can earn the most margin at any given time.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

If they don't need the uk business why bother to offer the cars in the first place, its not as if they're as good to tow with, as the old ladder chassis model was either.

Plus the price has been hiked up to over 30K for a comparative model CX-5 which sells for 25K now. So its no longer a bargain.

Always I vote with my feet. No point in moaning as there is no-one to hear. But you have to have the conviction to go through with it for the rest of your life. Once bitten twice shy - I put my money where I get good service.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

As you know Bob we have just ordered a Kia Sorrento so fingers crossed we are luckier than you. The Mazda isn't a suitable match for us so we wouldn't be able to go down your route if the same thing happens to us. Good luck with your new deal.

Kia Sorrento towing a Coachman VIP 575/4

Our blog: jennyandjohngocaravanning. wordpress. com

Long Time Caravanner

I really hope that you have a better experience than I did and the Sorento arrives as promised.

Bob

Bradley.

When I was in business Customer Relations was the single most important thing.

By treating Customers as Kia have treated me they are making a clear statement about how important the British market is to them, i. e. of no great importance.

Unless they change they will soon gain a very poor reputation in Britain and lose a fantastic opportunity to sell what are now good products.

Bob

Customer service given to the customers that matter to them the most, obviously for Kia that is not Bob from Dunstable.

Some bean counter on the third floor of the Kia HQ way off in the east is not concerned about keeping one man in the UK happy.

Not trying to have a go at you Bob just surprised that you're surprised at the way it works.

formerly ClassikFan

If they don't need the uk business why bother to offer the cars in the first place, its not as if they're as good to tow with, as the old ladder chassis model was either.

Plus the price has been hiked up to over 30K for a comparative model CX-5 which sells for 25K now. So its no longer a bargain.

At about 300 kg lighter and a row of seats less, the CX-5 is a smaller car than the Sorento - so not surprising it's cheaper.

The Sportage, comparable on size with the CX-5, is still cheaper than the CX-5.

Maybe but the larger car drives nothing like a CX-5, the mazda is smaller and lighter which is exactly what I wanted, lower VED and more to the gallon are the benefits, there are only the two of us so the cx-5 is easily large enough, on the weight side my model weighs over 1700kg on the weigh bridge according to a forum member.

The sportage doesn't have the same torque as the mazda, and only 80 NW limit, it was never in the frame for me.

In UK tests the CX-5 hasn't yet lost a group test, similar to when the T30 Xtrail came out, while I don't recall the korean 4x4 ever winning a test over the last few years, when I was looking for a change.

Customer service given to the customers that matter to them the most, obviously for Kia that is not Bob from Dunstable.

Some bean counter on the third floor of the Kia HQ way off in the east is not concerned about keeping one man in the UK happy.
Not trying to have a go at you Bob just surprised that you're surprised at the way it works.

And obviously not interested in their UK reputation either.

Now had four kia 4x4s and all delivered on time great at towing, no warranty problems so for me kia is not a problem.

Has anyone else experienced an issue like this?

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

In UK tests the CX-5 hasn't yet lost a group test, similar to when the T30 Xtrail came out, while I don't recall the korean 4x4 ever winning a test over the last few years, when I was looking for a change.

The CX-5 is down at number 6 in this one http://www. autoexpress. co. uk/car-reviews/62060/best-4x4s-buy

I said group test. Try again.

Anyway do you seriously think a santa fe is a better car than a RR?

The Range Rover Sport is 2. 5x the price of a Santa Fe - it's not 2. 5x better.

A Santa Fe or Sorento will go anywhere that a sane person would take at £70,000+ Range Rover.

Edited by Black Grouse

After waiting for twelve weeks for news of when my Sorento would be delivered, and the Dealer still not able to even give me a date when the car would be built, I have cancelled my order. The Dealer was extremely apologetic and said that he is as disappointed with Kia as I am.

I chose a Sorento over a Santa Fe because I was quoted two months (absolute max three) delivery whereas it was six months for a Santa Fe.

I have lost all trust in Kia, they appear to favour the far east markets and keep any orders for the UK as something to do when they have spare capacity.

I have been buying cars for fifty years now and I have never been treated with such disdain (by the manufacturer, not the Dealer ). My order was obviously of little value to them and they would not give the Dealer any information at all other than "build date not yet set".

I can`t imagine ever looking at a Kia again.

Visited the Mazda Dealer yesterday, given a delivery date before I had even placed an order for a CX5 175 Sport Nav Auto, agreed a discounted price and part exchange and left with full confidence that the delivery date, which is only a few weeks away as the vehicle is manufactured already, will be met.

Kia have a lot to learn !

Bob

After reading about the Mazda CX7 in the post headed Oh Dear, I don't think I would rush out to by a Mazda.

2015 SorentoKX2 pulling a 2011 Sterling Eccles Moonstone

I think people are starting to get touchy about their cars again lol.

We were warned by the dealer that we bought our current Santa Fe from that they expected a long backlog when the new model was launched,

Duncan

61 Santa Fe & 2011 Bailey Olympus 624

RHD Santa Fe's and Sorento's are being prioritised for other markets where they sell in significantly greater quantities and at a higher profit margin.

Good business sense but poor customer relations with prospective UK purchasers.

The impact on longer term benefits and risks for the brands? We can only wait and see.

After reading about the Mazda CX7 in the post headed Oh Dear, I don't think I would rush out to by a Mazda.

That's a very immature response, show me a car that doesn't break down, I'll be the first in the queue. ;)

When we "bite the bullet" and order something new its human nature to want it right away but I think with cars unless you want to take what they have got rather than what you want a degree of patience is needed. When I ordered the car I have now it also had a 3 month build time and values of my existing car ( a Sorento as it happens) and other big 4x4's where dropping like a stone. However since we have a second car the dealer took the Sorento then saving me 3 months depreciation, tax and insurance.

David

Various vans 78-2019,  currently  Hobby Excellent 540 FU and Mercedes E220 CDI Estate

www. caravan-europe. co. uk