Advice Asap On A Hobby

gavsspectrum

Hi guys really need some advise urgently, I've just been offered a hobby prestige 620 at a really good price.

I'm trying to find weight and length of it,and where I stand on towing,

I've been told in the past you must use a commercial vehicle, but then I've seen loads around being towed with 4x4s and even large estate cars.

Surely they are not travelling illegally?

Want to go and view tomorrow please help

abbey spectrum 418 1991,complete refurbish through out over winter 2012.

towcar,dodge nitro 2008,2. 8crd sxt auto(black beauty)

If the body length (not shipping length) is over 7m then you will need a C1E driving licence (not BE) and the towing vehicle will need to be OVER 3500kg Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) which rules out all cars and indeed most panel vans - although Jumbo versions of Sprinters do exist they're rare - the big twin-wheel US pick-ups may be over 3500kg but the single wheel ones won't be.

The fact that an ethnic group regularly flouts these laws is a matter for the police - it doesn't make it acceptable for others.

Edited by Black Grouse

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

most of the twin wheel pick ups are downrated to 3500kg when imported. Some transits also have a gvw of over 3500 but are quite rare to find.

A seemingly problem free 2010 model Adria Altea 542dk that has more than its fair share of use.

It's a 620 prestige, 2000 model,5/6 berth

No not the travelling community, I've been on sites and normal people are towing with estate cars and 4x4s

Jut found the weight as 1900kgs and the length of 22ft excluding a frame

Does this Sound right?

Have you tried the caravan club outfit matcher? I'd have a look but I'm just on 3G mobile here.

Isuzu D Max pulling Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

Bailey Autograph 740 MH: Isuzu for sale LOL

Hi guys really need some advise urgently, I've just been offered a hobby prestige 620 at a really good price.

I'm trying to find weight and length of it,and where I stand on towing,

I've been told in the past you must use a commercial vehicle, but then I've seen loads around being towed with 4x4s and even large estate cars.

Surely they are not travelling illegally?

Want to go and view tomorrow please help

Think twice before you buy one . ...............they are a big caravan and you will need good wing mirrors to see round, i am lucky that my pickup is fitted with slide out mirrors

,Has to towing illegally this is a grey area no matter what folk say, I pass two vosa/police check points without any hassle in last two years (40 ish trips )

The law some where says to be towed by a LONG WHEELBASE COMMERCIAL Truck etc over 3500KG

Ste

. ....One life, Don't waste it fixing LandRovers .

Ford F350 SUPERDUTY Towing 640 Hobby @ 1%

How would you stand with insurance should you have the misfortune to be in an accident and be towing such a large caravan with the wrong vehicle .

if your insurance company were to find out im sure there would be some sort of comeback.

Rather you than me

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn

2022 Pilote P696GJ for European touring-  2022 Coachman VIP 565 for touring the UK towed by a 2022 Skoda kodiaq Sportline 4x4 dsg 200PS

Jut found the weight as 1900kgs and the length of 22ft excluding a frame

Does this Sound right?

Gav, if that size is correct then its under 7m. the only thing that comes to mind is that i recall from somewhere that hobby do not include the gas locker in their sizes, so that could take it over.

the only other thing maybe weight that needs looking into.

A seemingly problem free 2010 model Adria Altea 542dk that has more than its fair share of use.

It's no good speculating on "what might be" you need to know the specification of it. If it's 22ft including the A frame (=6. 31M) I would be very surprised as the current 610 model is longer than that. Also, no matter what you are advised about it being legal, ask your insurers for a price because that will be the deciding issue if you want it all "Kosha". I you want to tow it without legal compliance and don't want to bother with insurance then that's another matter.

Edited by Ian Hastings

Ern

Your legally only allowed to tow a caravan under 7m body length unless with a commercial type vehicle . Your car insurance will only cover you under 7m and could be effected.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Well Im far from an expert, 2 years ago I thought a Hobby was stamp collecting or similar, I can however google and it appears that with a suitable car/SUV/ 4x4 you are allowed to tow a trailer / caravan up to 7m ( 23ft) long excluding hitch and drawbar. The trailer/caravan can be up to 2. 55m ( 8ft 4inches ) wide.

If the other stuff found by googling is correct regarding body length and van width I cant see why it would be illegal to tow with a suitable car provide you also have a suitable licence entitlement. My findings ( which I accept could be taken from the fantasies of others ) indicate that the van body is indeed 22 ft with a width of 8ft.

Technical Details spacer620 WGD

Overall Length : 798 cm

Body Length: 660 cm

Length of body without gas cylinder: 0

Internal Length: 605 cm

Total width: 250 cm

Total Height: 257 cm

Internal Headroom: 192 cm

Permissible Total Weight: 1900 / 2000 Kg

Weight in Travel Ready State: 1631 Kg

Front bed area: 160 x 231 cm

Centre bed area: 0

Rear bed area: 2 x 80 x 200

Sleeps: 4

Roof Thickness: 47mm

Wall Thickness: 31mm

Floor Thickness: 48mm

One thing to take into account with these caravans are there Width, just remember if you plan on doing a lot of touring make sure you are good at REVERSING because you cant go charging down narrow country lanes without coming unstuck .

Ste

. ....One life, Don't waste it fixing LandRovers .

Ford F350 SUPERDUTY Towing 640 Hobby @ 1%

Working on the assumption that the specification given by Alexbee is right, I'd say that's a "corker of a van" Hobby stuff is extremely well put together (apart from their 12V electrics which are known to be rather untidy) and most of the fitted equipment will be the same stuff as in UK 'vans. They are very robustly made with lovely furniture and upholstery. I have a Hobby Motorhome and a Sterling Caravan and I know which is better made. I would repeat my earlier word of caution though about insurance - get a quote.

Ern

620 prestige, 2000 model,5/6 berth i cant find this model on the caravan club site tow car matching site

620 prestige, 2000 model,5/6 berth i cant find this model on the caravan club site tow car matching site

non of the matching sites can be taken as gospel anyway. always best to check handbooks.

Technical Details spacer620 WGD
Overall Length : 798 cm
Body Length: 660 cm
Length of body without gas cylinder: 0
Internal Length: 605 cm
Total width: 250 cm
Total Height: 257 cm
Internal Headroom: 192 cm
Permissible Total Weight: 1900 / 2000 Kg
Weight in Travel Ready State: 1631 Kg
Front bed area: 160 x 231 cm
Centre bed area: 0
Rear bed area: 2 x 80 x 200
Sleeps: 4
Roof Thickness: 47mm
Wall Thickness: 31mm
Floor Thickness: 48mm

As a matter of interest where did you find that information?

I have Hobby (German) brochures going back to 2003 but Hobby 'UK Specials' had different model numbers to the German versions on which they were based which were the 610 and 650.

Has to towing illegally this is a grey area no matter what folk say, I pass two vosa/police check points without any hassle in last two years (40 ish trips )

The law some where says to be towed by a LONG WHEELBASE COMMERCIAL Truck etc over 3500KG

Ste

There is no grey area as it is only legal to tow a trailer that exceeds 7metre body length with a vehicle of 3500kg or higher GVW.

As, by definition, only a car (class M1) or a small van (class N1) are under 3500kg GVW anything with a heavier GVW will be a mini-bus or 'commercial vehicle' regardless of wheelbase.

Whether you get caught or not is another matter. .................and enforcement does seem to be lax or non-existent. However, in the event of a claim insurers may take a differing view and, although they cannot repudiate a third party claim, they could attempt to recover any payout.