Big Hole In Roof, Can It Be Fixed?

pamlou

Where I store my caravan, a huge piece of glass fell out of the roof and tore through the caravan roof, leaving a big L shaped crack you can see daylight through. The storage owner has said he'll repair it even though, as he says, its not his responsibility. I think I should just contact my insurance but my other half seems to think let him do it. I've spoke to a few repair places on the phone who seem to think it will cost about £2500 to replace the whole roof, as holes cant generally be repaired. Can a roof be repaired? Some advice would be appreciated before it turns into a big domestic!

Hi Pam . ... looking at the age of your van . .....

. ... I think the insurance company . ... will right it off . ....

Also . .... £2,500 seems cheap to replace the whole roof . ....

Does the site owner have any experience in any sort of repairs . ... if he has . ... I'd let him have a go . ...

Let us know what happens . ...

Cheers

Pete

Mine : Land Rover Defender 90, big, black and shiney.
Polly's : Land Rover Discovery Sport, HSE in Scotia Grey . .......
Towing : A 2011 Coachman Pastiche 545, on the driveway . ....... and now a CT Ninja, too.

I don't think storage owner has a clue as he said he'd get someone off the internet. My fear is letting him fix it, going away in the van and rain pouring in through a botch job.

Hi Pam . ....

. .... I'd speak to CaravanMedic . .. from Swindon . ... on here . ....

. ... may-be send his some photos . .... he seems to be a real wizz at this type of repair . ...

I know he's not in your area . ... but he may-be able to recommend some-one . ...

Good luck

Pete

Mine : Land Rover Defender 90, big, black and shiney.
Polly's : Land Rover Discovery Sport, HSE in Scotia Grey . .......
Towing : A 2011 Coachman Pastiche 545, on the driveway . ....... and now a CT Ninja, too.

If you intend keeping the van for any length of time then possibility of fitting a satelite dish where the hole is, may not be possible if hole is not in the right place but its a thought, storage chap might even agree to its purchase too as it would be cheaper than your quote.

Phil

Don't let the storage owner do it.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Van is insured for £2900. The crack is near the side of van above kitchen window and runs into a kitchen cuboard, so a skylite or sat dish is out of question. Think insurance is the way to go.

Yes, insurance.

A bodged van will be worth next to nothing when you decide to upgrade.

Just beginning our adventure. 95% of my time on CT I use my phone. As a result correct spelling and grammer will be used sparingly. This is due to fat fingers. Please don't let it bother you.

What I don't understand and please correct me if i am wrong, the building where you store your van belongs to storage company so why are you thinking of claiming on your insurance surely it's his insurance you would claim off ???

Santa Fe cdx+ , fleetwood countryside 450-ek

What I don't understand and please correct me if i am wrong, the building where you store your van belongs to storage company so why are you thinking of claiming on your insurance surely it's his insurance you would claim off ???

Good point

If the storage owner is running a business, he should have insurance for that business. If he hasn't, and is offering to pay for the damage, I'd be inclined to insist the repair done at a reputable repairer.

If you do claim on your insurance, it may be prudent to talk to the storage owner about five years free storage.

Just a thought. ...........................

Good luck.

Storage is already very expensive, if they had to have insurance on top it would probably be too much for people to pay.

Ok so would this not be covered under his public liability, it's his building that's falling down and it could have injured some one not just your van .

If it was me I'd be pushing for him to pay for a professional repair as he is willing to pay for a half hearted job so he knows that it his problem not yours

As I don't know the storage owner I haven't a clue. ....I'm aware that most (if not all) of the storage in my area does not come with insurance, hence on the terms and conditions given out stating that they are NOT responsible for any loss or damage & all owners are encouraged to make sure they have full insurance cover. Again I'm not sure if this is the case all over the country. ...maybe someone will let us know?

For any additional information or advice please have a look on my website. .....

www. thecaravanmedic-swindon. co. uk

As I don't know the storage owner I haven't a clue. ....I'm aware that most (if not all) of the storage in my area does not come with insurance, hence on the terms and conditions given out stating that they are NOT responsible for any loss or damage & all owners are encouraged to make sure they have full insurance cover. Again I'm not sure if this is the case all over the country. ...maybe someone will let us know?

Fair point, I'm lucky being able to store mine on my drive, I just don't think that it's fair they provide a service and you pay alot of money and there's no come back.

Yes it can be repaired!

CaravenMedicSwindon will know a more professional way but when I restored my caravan it came with a hole in the roof. A big dent and a cut through it so managed to fix it with car body filler. I put vinyl over my roof so it not blending in or finding an exact paint match wasn't an issue but it could be a DIY job for you or OH if it's an older caravan.

As for storage insurance not sure of all the ins and outs but anywhere we've been seasonal and left the caravan over winter we ALWAYS had to provide proof that the caravan was insured.

I assume the site would be insured but not sure who would be responsible for what you've experienced. I'd think that type of incident would be up to the storage owner.

Compass Shadow 1988

I would rather have it written off than BODGED up.

Let your insurance deal with it, that's what you pay for.

I like your avatar

We have a bull just like that in our Bull Ring in Brum :rolleyes:

Hyundai Terracan pulling a Burstner Trecento 530 easily
I thought I saw a light at the end of the tunnel, but it was somone with a torch

If he hasn't got Public Liability insurance he is very foolish, any accident could cost him millions, just imagine if the glass had fallen on a person rather than a caravan?

He has a duty of care to ensure that parts of his building don't fall on persons or property, get an estimate or two and claim from him, his insurance should cover it. If you don't want it written off negotiate with the claims assessor.

Edited by Millstone

Lunar Clubman SB 2013 following a Hyundai Tucson MHEV 4x4 2 ltr 185 hp Premium SE (2019)

Insurance or not he has a duty of care, and that is a legal right that the OP has, and not one that can be signed away in an unfair contract.

Has the revolution finally begun?