Caravan Dealers.

How I wish caravans dealers will put a message on their telephone to tell us How long they are going to be off during the festive holidays. I have been trying to ring my dealer, all I get on the phone is a message saying ring back later. Then I found out they are not open until the 6th of Jan.

Misguidedly some dealers seem to feel that as most of the manufacturers are closed right through the festive period that they might as well do the same - seems short sighted to me as there are lots of potential customers who are off work themselves and have the time to browse around the showrooms and possibly place an order!

I wish . ...mine was open . .....

. .... I could get my van back, then . ....

Pants, pants . ....

Cheers

Pete

Mine : Land Rover Defender 90, big, black and shiney.
Polly's : Land Rover Discovery Sport, HSE in Scotia Grey . .......
Towing : A 2011 Coachman Pastiche 545, on the driveway . ....... and now a CT Ninja, too.

Web. That's how I saved myself a 60 mile round trip. Was just about to set off too

The first line of contact is to phone up, now if that had put a message saying they are closed until such date instead of phone back later I would not have tried to ring again and again.

I agree if they stayed open they would make sales as most people are looking for extras for next years outings

The more I learn the more I know,the more I know the more I forget,the more I forget the less I know :blink:

There's no excuse for not pre-publishing details of seasonal closures - but dealers do employ real people some of whom have families which they'd like to spend time with.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

There's no excuse for not pre-publishing details of seasonal closures - but dealers do employ real people some of whom have families which they'd like to spend time with.

The issue is not about people on holiday. it is about letting customers know they are on holiday. Edited by Guest

Absolutely.

A few years back I had a ding dong with our GP Practice Manager because their pharmacy had a message saying when the phone wasn't being answered they might (note 'might') be undergoing staff training.

I got that message and drove 6 miles in to collect a prescription, only to find they were closed all afternoon for staff training. So I had to drive home empty handed and return, a further 12 mile round trip, the next day.

The practice manager did agree with me that the message should have been more detailed and informative.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

A lot of families have to work over the holiday period. Its called servicing the public which is what firms have to do to make money

The more I learn the more I know,the more I know the more I forget,the more I forget the less I know :blink:

A lot of families have to work over the holiday period. Its called servicing the public which is what firms have to do to make money

Not all firms need to stay open to make money, for some it is more profitable to stay shut. However there is no excuse not to let your customers know your opening hours on the telephone message.

I visited one local dealer on the day before New years eve, to get out of the house. The weather was awful, but they had 4 sales staff in, although the customers were thin on the ground.

I did try to visit the Marquis showrooms in Birtley for the second year running, but was foiled again as they closed that weekend before Christmas. I was up that way anyway so not a wasted trip, but another guy was trying to get in as well.

We call in our nearest dealer often when on the way back home from shopping, me to browse and tghe wife to visit the Cafe, but the last 2 times it has been dead.

Roll on the spring

A local dealer has lost the sale of a caravan over this holiday period. A friend of mine found a van he fancied for sale on the dealers website went to view to find the dealer closed. No mention on the website and no opening date on the gate. He rang every day for the following five then travelled 190 miles to a dealer that was open and bought the same year and model caravan. Because the local dealer didn't give a bit of thought to his business practice he lost over 5k and a potential repeat customer. Hope he had a good break.

An example of a business that has forgotten or never knew how to think like their customers, surely a basic business tenet.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

The reason they shut is because it is not financially worthwhile to open. Selling one caravan gets nowhere near the overheads. Went to Ebor today. Open but like a ghost town

God knows why they don't all put opening details on their websites. Crazy.

Isuzu D Max pulling Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

Bailey Autograph 740 MH: Isuzu for sale LOL

But the dealers and their employees need a holiday too. Seems a bit mean to expect them to be on duty whilst the rest of us are enjoying a relaxation.

Oldboy says it all in post #8

2014 SsangYong Rexton W towing a 2017 Sprite Major 4EB. (After June 9th).