Car Loading

milkymarsh

Having a thought about loading on my current tug, especially as we are off to Cornwall in May and France in the summer.

So, E class estate (250cdi se) weighs 1885kg (inclusive of 90% full tank, 68kg driver and 7kg luggage).

Max load of car is 2480kg, leaving a theoretical 595kg of payload.

Now onto the sums, and this is where I need your help.

1885kg, plus passengers of say 200kg (SWMBO, 2 kids and the shortfall of my weight minus the 68kg allowance)

Add on 75kg for bikes on roof

Add on 80kg noseweight requirement of van (is this right???)

This leaves an allowance of 240kg for everything else. Is this right? Never worked it out before, and want to be legal in France especially this year.

Any help gratefully appreciated!

John

Plus weight of towbar.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Sounds about right, although you must have a lot of bikes for them to weigh that much and you need to check that you are not exceeding the roof limits.

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

Sounds about right, although you must have a lot of bikes for them to weigh that much and you need to check that you are not exceeding the roof limits.

Limit is 75kg on the roof and everything comes to 71kg.

That's 4 bikes, carriers and bars

Plus weight of towbar.

Dave

Thanks Dave. Didn't even consider that! That'll bring the payload down by another 35-40kg then. ... Edited by milkymarsh

Once you have loaded the car up, don't forget to consider the maximum train weight.

Max train weight minus weight of fully loaded car might mean your caravan can't be fully loaded. ..

Freelander 2 and Bailey Unicorn Valencia (Classic Edition. ..)

Once you have loaded the car up, don't forget to consider the maximum train weight.

Max train weight minus weight of fully loaded car might mean your caravan can't be fully loaded. ..

Thanks for that. Don't think I have a problem here as the plate shows a rather hefty 4. 6 tonnes gtw

0f15ac429e1f6101f2c1b9983e65f4f6_zps6beb

Van has a mtplm of 1500kg, so we will be fine

Nice to see someone doing this because I have to be careful what I stick in my car because it soon mounts up.

Advice is often given to "Shove it in the car" usually when towing ratios get up in the ninetys. ..... but you cant keep pilin it in, there is a limit. So well done for wanting to get it right.

Paul

As an after thought and something that I have never checked is the axle weights because I would imagine that most of the weight you will add will be biased to the rear. I have only checked my car on a weigh bridge so probably best to use one of those drive over thingys like the police will do if your stopped.

Paul

Edited by hfturbo

Vw Passat V6 4 Motion
2009 Compass Corona Club 544

Advice is often given to "Shove it in the car" usually when towing ratios get up in the ninetys. ..... but you cant keep pilin it in, there is a limit.

Paul

That's what I keep telling the missus. Next car for me needs to be a tardis! Just trying to set expectations for her that we can't take everything with us to France, especially if we want to bring some wine back with us. ...

That's what I keep telling the missus. Next car for me needs to be a tardis! Just trying to set expectations for her that we can't take everything with us to France, especially if we want to bring some wine back with us. ...

The more space there is the more they will take!

Mrs G commented to me as we left for France this year, there is a lot more room in the smax's boot than there was in the jeep.

It was a different story coming home when every time I opened the boot something nearly fell out!

Mike

VW Touareg 3. 0L V6 262 R Line with a Unicorn IV Segovia trying to keep up!

The more space there is the more they will take!

Mrs G commented to me as we left for France this year, there is a lot more room in the smax's boot than there was in the jeep.

It was a different story coming home when every time I opened the boot something nearly fell out!

Mike

Merc is as big if not even bigger than the smax we used to have (not as tall, but deeper). Every time we go away, more gets left out.

One hilarious story for you, I had a vw touran when we first started camping. The amount of stuff plus bikes we took with us, it took me 4 attempts to repack to close the boot. When I did get the boot shut, 3 families gave me a round of applause!

You off to France in 2014?

Edited by milkymarsh

Merc is as big if not even bigger than the smax we used to have (not as tall, but deeper). Every time we go away, more gets left out.

One hilarious story for you, I had a vw touran when we first started camping. The amount of stuff plus bikes we took with us, it took me 4 attempts to repack to close the boot. When I did get the boot shut, 3 families gave me a round of applause!

You off to France in 2014?

Ah, ongoing debate at the moment which will need to be resolved shortly! Kids want to go to Tenerife but as I book and pay I have the casting vote. ........

Have you booked anything yet?

Talking of boots again, the best thing about the jeep was the window opened so you could fill it to the brim and not worry about stuff falling out. The Smax is a nightmare as it appears anything within a foot of the opening falls out!

VW Touareg 3. 0L V6 262 R Line with a Unicorn IV Segovia trying to keep up!

Ah, ongoing debate at the moment which will need to be resolved shortly! Kids want to go to Tenerife but as I book and pay I have the casting vote. ........

Have you booked anything yet?

Talking of boots again, the best thing about the jeep was the window opened so you could fill it to the brim and not worry about stuff falling out. The Smax is a nightmare as it appears anything within a foot of the opening falls out!

We are all booked up and off to La Yole for 2wks in aug. not ideal timing, but at least its sorted now.

Smax is a bit annoying with the 'chamfered' edge of the boot. Merc is no better as it has an electric close function that as soon as it detects any pressure it refuses to close. I now go down the manual slam boot mode if full of stuff!

Limit is 75kg on the roof and everything comes to 71kg.

That's 4 bikes, carriers and barsThanks Dave. Didn't even consider that! That'll bring the payload down by another 35-40kg then. ...

That is one very hefty towbar you have there. More like 10 to 15kg.

Bill

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.

I can't understand why the likes of Witter etc don't include the weight of their kit either on their websites or in documentation. They are happy to label everything with its noseweight limit but seem to forget they're quite heavy bits of kit in themselves. Various comments obtained by Googling suggests and average of 20-25kg.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

That is one very hefty towbar you have there. More like 10 to 15kg.

Bill - its mercedes!

Actual weight is 29kg

http://westfalia-automotive. co. uk/mercedes-benz_towbars_and_wiring_kits/mercedes-e-class-estate/mercedes-benz_towbar_313373900113_1043. html

That's one of the reasons I bought the Trojan. 4 person cab AND a flat bed with a hardtop to carry all her our junk. :)

2014 SsangYong Rexton W towing a 2017 Sprite Major 4EB. (After June 9th).

That's one of the reasons I bought the Trojan. 4 person cab AND a flat bed with a hardtop to carry all her our junk. :)

Could be my next towcar!!! Missus would love you. ..

Could be my next towcar!!! Missus would love you. ..

No chance! My Missus has already filled it up! She's one of the "look at all that space, let's see what we can fill it with" brigade!

Happy New Year, very dark, overcast and blowing a gale here in South Wales, Mike

2014 SsangYong Rexton W towing a 2017 Sprite Major 4EB. (After June 9th).

No chance! My Missus has already filled it up! She's one of the "look at all that space, let's see what we can fill it with" brigade!

Happy New Year, very dark, overcast and blowing a gale here in South Wales, Mike

We have two the same here. Grotty as anything here too in Berkshire, and I'm being forced to go out in it as well.

Have a great 2014

One of the things I love about my Landy is the carrying capacity. With the extras I have bolted to it like the winch & bumper, underbody protection, LPG system, tow hitch, heavy duty roof rack, heavy duty suspension and 2 heavy duty batteries, the kerb weight is 2310 kg. max GVW is 3500 kg giving me a very useful 1190kg payload. 150kg of which can be carried on the roof.