Coachman Curse - Cracked Abs Front Panel

BasTT

We have a 2011 Vision 520/4 that has plagued us with problems since Easter 2012 and I’ll spare the long story.

We have planned our first winter outing for the NY in sunny Yorkshire, so brought the Vision out of storage yesterday for an early departure this coming week, wind gusts permitting.

Whilst washing the front I noticed a strange gap in the exterior ABS panel above the front centre window. On closer inspection this turned out to be a 2½” long crack in the panel and about 3mm wide. I took photographs, spoke to the only available dealer staff (very helpful salesman) and he advised a quick mastic repair and then photos to after-sales who could raise a warranty claim. The crack originates from one of the window bar screws and then migrates up to the top of the panel and underneath the front ‘rail’. I carried out ‘running’ repairs but, without removing the entire window rail, I have been unable to seal the entire crack. There are no obvious internal stains to show water ingress – so far.

Would I be correct, and within my rights to reject as unacceptable, any ABS ‘patch and repair’ in this high stress area? I expect no resolution for at least 2 months, assuming a spare panel can be found - if that is the cure.

post-38159-0-09538100-1388353799_thumb.jpg

post-38159-0-44582100-1388353833_thumb.jpg

2011 - Coachman Vision 520/4 Mistake

2013 Swift Coastline SE 524

Usually down to driving screws through with windy guns, rather than predrilling, especially with ABS.

Thanks for advice guys. I just hope normality overrides any concerns over costs / time and Coachman accept that replacement is the only route. Of doubt is who would undertake any replacement - dealer or factory. I just hope it is a lasting repair and the panel survives a few more years. And the sealant is not applied with a garden fork; as appears to have happened on this one

We have a 2011 Vision 520/4 that has plagued us with problems since Easter 2012 and I’ll spare the long story.

We have planned our first winter outing for the NY in sunny Yorkshire, so brought the Vision out of storage yesterday for an early departure this coming week, wind gusts permitting.

Whilst washing the front I noticed a strange gap in the exterior ABS panel above the front centre window. On closer inspection this turned out to be a 2½” long crack in the panel and about 3mm wide. I took photographs, spoke to the only available dealer staff (very helpful salesman) and he advised a quick mastic repair and then photos to after-sales who could raise a warranty claim. The crack originates from one of the window bar screws and then migrates up to the top of the panel and underneath the front ‘rail’. I carried out ‘running’ repairs but, without removing the entire window rail, I have been unable to seal the entire crack. There are no obvious internal stains to show water ingress – so far.

Would I be correct, and within my rights to reject as unacceptable, any ABS ‘patch and repair’ in this high stress area? I expect no resolution for at least 2 months, assuming a spare panel can be found - if that is the cure.

Hi BasTT. Are you sure that this is a crack? In my view it is far to straight to be a crack,it looks more like a joint or 'Flash Line' join originated from within the mould that has parted company with itself.

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

Normally the panel would be replaced under warranty. BTY. ...it's a very common problem on many makes of caravan!

Not always as some companies quote the 12 month warranty on plastics.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Happened to a 2002 Amara I had after 5 years (from new), a crack appeared from a screw holding the awning track to wall, below the N/S front window After dealer took photos and advised to put gaffer tape over the crack/split, Coachman paid in full for a complete front end, local dealer carried out repairs. But Coachman may decide to have it back to the factory

Plastics may be covered for 12 months but if it is down to an installation error it will be covered, and as like mine it started from the screw it is down to poor installation techniques.

Good luck Bass TT

Paul

Edited by kiaboy

2013(13) Sorento KX2 2. 2 Diesel Manual, (With smelling clutch) Glittering Metal (Metallic Grey) dragging a 2020 Coachman VIP 520 with a Powrtouch Evolution Motor Mover (Towing @ 80. 0%) :)

Hi BasTT. Are you sure that this is a crack? In my view it is far to straight to be a crack,it looks more like a joint or 'Flash Line' join originated from within the mould that has parted company with itself.

That was my first impression from the photo to and the gap looks very even too. .. but it probably should not be like that.

Paul

Vw Passat V6 4 Motion
2009 Compass Corona Club 544

This is the photo taken of mine so you can compare, I would, if you have not already done so, ease the rubber strip from the rail to expose the screws and take a photo showing the screw in relation to the crack, this will determine installation fault or panel failure

r55e.th.jpg

2013(13) Sorento KX2 2. 2 Diesel Manual, (With smelling clutch) Glittering Metal (Metallic Grey) dragging a 2020 Coachman VIP 520 with a Powrtouch Evolution Motor Mover (Towing @ 80. 0%) :)

Nothing like a scare story to make you check. So I did so, and to my considerable disbelief ours has done the same. As it happens, we slept in the van at Christmas, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't cracked then. Taped up with gaffer tape for now and I'm off to the dealer for a chat.

post-41517-0-67893100-1388408128_thumb.jpg

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

Back from NYE adventures and able to update on our ABS crack. First off, this post not intended as a scare story but extremely glad that just one other CT member has looked and, sadly, discovered a failure in their front panel.

The photo below shows a view with the centre window fully up and the guilty screw hole where the crack begins. Thanks to dealer advice, and Kiaboy, I took this angle and will hopefully persuade CCC that this is a manufacturing defect occurring from their installation. This is not a “joint or 'Flash Line' join” as solid ABS shows below the screw. I am going to look at all other screw holes tomorrow in an area where few of us ever look.

Again, many thanks for comforting advice and I’ll update as this progresses.

Bill

post-38159-0-67354700-1388786348_thumb.jpg

Back from NYE adventures and able to update on our ABS crack. First off, this post not intended as a scare story but extremely glad that just one other CT member has looked and, sadly, discovered a failure in their front panel.

The photo below shows a view with the centre window fully up and the guilty screw hole where the crack begins. Thanks to dealer advice, and Kiaboy, I took this angle and will hopefully persuade CCC that this is a manufacturing defect occurring from their installation. This is not a “joint or 'Flash Line' join” as solid ABS shows below the screw. I am going to look at all other screw holes tomorrow in an area where few of us ever look.

Again, many thanks for comforting advice and I’ll update as this progresses.

Bill

Bill,

That looks like CCC are "guilty as charged", looking at the photo they will not be in a position to refuse a complete replacement, FOC. Good luck

Paul

Bill,

That looks like CCC are "guilty as charged", looking at the photo they will not be in a position to refuse a complete replacement, FOC. Good luck

Paul

Simple manufacturing fault, ABS panels have to be pre-drilled. Can't see any defence.

I promised an update. I let the dealer know. The same day he opened a warranty claim with Coachman. The next day someone CAME TO OUR HOUSE, took photos and said they would be in touch when they had heard back. Really good service. It's not things going wrong, its what happens afterwards that matters.

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

I promised an update. I let the dealer know. The same day he opened a warranty claim with Coachman. The next day someone CAME TO OUR HOUSE, took photos and said they would be in touch when they had heard back. Really good service. It's not things going wrong, its what happens afterwards that matters.

Hi BFM. Was the person that called from Coachman Caravans or the dealer?

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

The dealer. They are handling everything.

A good dealer will always come to your house, I've had two visits myself for doors to be fitted.

As a matter of interest the Elddis SOLID caravans are also getting "cracks" in ABS panels, as you know they don't now use screws, so its not always screws but sometimes poorly designed panels?

A good dealer will always come to your house, I've had two visits myself for doors to be fitted.

As a matter of interest the Elddis SOLID caravans are also getting "cracks" in ABS panels, as you know they don't now use screws, so its not always screws but sometimes poorly designed panels?

Hi xtm. In the case of Elddis,it is most likely the strength of the Henkel adhesive that is grabbing the panel and the weakest point is then the panel;the CRACK CRACK CRACK.

• 1 month later...

Was with our dealer w/e before last and CCC have still not accepted this cracked ABS panel as a warranty job and who will conduct any subsequent repair. They wanted ingress testing before any decision - as that will reveal size of task. So the 6 week wait for any new panel hasn’t even started. I call that appalling Customer Care and Coachman should hang their heads in shame.

By coincidence, we had the ‘van with us so the dealer can get on with testing and report back to CCC. We had it along as we have had enough and traded it in as a ‘bad job’, ‘total lemon’, ‘Friday afternoon reject’, and a thoroughly unreliable and miserable example of Coachman quality workmanship. Farewell to a 2yr old caravan and good riddance.

But many thanks for CT advice on here - throughout our troubled ownership - and good luck to all.

Bill