Cathedral Caravan Tour

chapmag

SWMBO loves churches and cathedrals.

Neither of us are particularly religious but she just loves the history and the architecture.

Has anyone done a UK tour of cathedrals?

We're in France (as usual) late April to early July.

So I'm thinking a late summer/early Autumn trip to take a number in.

Any advice gratefuly received!

TIA,

G.

Ely cathedral, Durham, Canterbury

France - Chartes, Reims

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Winchester around Christmas time. They have one of the best Christmas markets I've been to, so maybe a good time to combine that with Salisbury cathedral, but then again you could prob do those as day trips from home!!!!

Edited by milkymarsh

Worcester, Tewkesbury, Gloucester, Bristol, Wells, Exeter and Truro in a fairly straight line. I visited all bar Truro over a long weekend and also pottered around the Cotswolds. Can't remember where exactly I camped though. Highbridge and Evesham, both farms, but the names elude me.

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see (GK Chesterton)

There's no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong equipment (Alfred Wainwright)

Thanks for the suggestions. . keep them coming. .. I can see SWMBO enjoying the tour!!!

TIA,

G

Been to some of those mentioned above but, without being sceptical, you'll need to take out a loan to cover the entrance fees (sorry, donations) required by some of them. I know they need money to maintain the buildings but they would get more support if they reduced their prices.

The only "free" visit we got was to Bristol when our son's graduation took place there. Cost a fortune for the actual ceremonial gowns, photos though!

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

Been to some of those mentioned above but, without being sceptical, you'll need to take out a loan to cover the entrance fees (sorry, donations) required by some of them. I know they need money to maintain the buildings but they would get more support if they reduced their prices!

Very true. We looked at quite a few cathedrals touring England and Wales last summer. My favourite was Wells. Be sure to go on the guided tour included in the 'voluntary contribution'! You'll see so much more and the stories behind what you see are so delightful I didn't begrudge the money.

Edit: pics on blog "Wells" 7th June 2013

Edited by RagDoll

Bailey Senator Arizona Series 6 pulled by Ford Mondeo Estate 2 litre diesel
Blog at lamputtsonland. wordpress. com

Been to some of those mentioned above but, without being sceptical, you'll need to take out a loan to cover the entrance fees (sorry, donations) required by some of them. I know they need money to maintain the buildings but they would get more support if they reduced their prices.

The only "free" visit we got was to Bristol when our son's graduation took place there. Cost a fortune for the actual ceremonial gowns, photos though!

We loved visiting churches and cathedrals when away for the architecture and atmosphere but chickened out of visiting York Minster this year when we saw the entrance fee was £15 and £9 for seniors. Ely is £17. 50 or £15 for seniors for the 'total experience' but Durham asks for a donation and leaves it up to you how much you give.

I completely accept that I am not there for religious purposes and would pay to enter any other tourist attraction but at these prices I am afraid I just admire from the outside these days.

Edited by LongTimeCaravaner

Kia Sorrento towing a Coachman VIP 575/4

Our blog: jennyandjohngocaravanning. wordpress. com

We loved visiting churches and cathedrals when away for the architecture and atmosphere but chickened out of visiting York Minster this year when we saw the entrance fee was £15 and £9 for seniors. Ely is £17. 50 or £15 for seniors for the 'total experience' but Durham asks for a donation and leaves it up to you how much you give.

I completely accept that I am not there for religious purposes and would pay to enter any other tourist attraction but at these prices I am afraid I just admire from the outside these days.

Blimey, for those costs you could do a fabulous day trip to Bruges to visit the Beguinage. Been there a number of times and its fantastic, plus one time heard the nuns singing in Latin. Made the hairs stand up on the back of your neck. It's also on the world heritage list of locations.

http://ldysinger. stjohnsem. edu/CH_501_Intro/21_Friars/x-beguinage-Brugge. jpg

Plus as a bonus, you could pick up some cheap wine on the way back

If you coincide your visit with a scheduled service you usually get in free, certainly York works that way.

Favourite of mine is Tewkesbury Abbey which almost faces the CC site. ..........beware of flooding though!

If in York or Lincoln a visit to Beverley Minster is worth a visit en route.

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Agreed re Canterbury - and you can do that on your way to France

Russell

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

Theres some nice CL sites near Lincoln if you go to Lincoln Cathedral.

If you do go, have a look at the St Marys church at Stow, also named Stow Minster, this is interesting church as its regarded as the mother church of Lincoln, over the years Lady Godiva husband & others have help the with the upkeep of the church

In the next village is Sturton by Stow this is the first village in the county to have Methodist society

a few interesting links

http://www. visitoruk. com/Lincoln/sturton-by-stow-C592-V24865. html

http://www. stowminster. org. uk/index. php?option=com_content&view=article&id=8&Itemid=8

http://en. wikipedia. org/wiki/Stow_Minster

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Ripon hasn't had a mention yet

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

Ripon hasn't had a mention yet

Probably I forgot it as it is the nearest one to me!.......small but beautifully formed, and cheaper than York and better parking if you know where to go. ....decent Charity Shops too. ..just been there for next years Christmas cards!

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

For some-thing . .. different . ...

Try Dornoch, Dunblane and Dunkeld . ....

Cheers

Pete

Mine : Land Rover Defender 90, big, black and shiney.
Polly's : Land Rover Discovery Sport, HSE in Scotia Grey . .......
Towing : A 2011 Coachman Pastiche 545, on the driveway . ....... and now a CT Ninja, too.

Thanks for all the suggestion. .. keep them coming.

No ones mentioned St Pauls. .... did that in December 2007 and managed to capture an amazing sunset from the top of the dome!!

Edited by chapmag