Alde 3010 Boiler One Way Valve Leak ?

SteveM796

Hi - hopefully someone on the forum can assist us with a minor hiccup. We arrived on site yesterday for a week in the van over New Year. I noticed within an hour of setting up that there was a fast drip coming from an overflow pipe under the van onto the tarmac hard stand. I wouldn't have noticed it on grass or gravel.

At first I thought it was the drain down pipe but it appears to becoming from a clear plastic pipe which vents from what I believe to be a red coloured non return valve beside the Alde 3010 boiler. The valve looks like it is a pressure fit (speed fit) onto the pipe work. The water dripping from it is hot - so I guess it is from the hot water supply. The pump is also cycling on/ off for short periods without any demand from taps which I guess is the boiler making up for the leak

The van is booked for a service in 6 weeks time and once we return from this trip it probably won't be used again until then.

My queries are - am I ok to continue using the van with the continuing drip and is it going to cause any problems if I do? As long as the drip stays outside I will be a happy. However I will try tomorrow & find a dealer / supplier and buy & fit the valve. Are they a straightforward job to fit ie just push the collar back each end and remove and reverse for new figment?

Thanks as always for any input/info.

Cheers

Steve

Bailey Unicorn Valencia

http://www. alde. co. uk/itemdetails. php?itemId=1

Exactly which valve are you referring to?

The brass valve on the black hose, vents under the van and is venting the circulating fluid.

It is difficult to change without losing fluid.

The red connection is the hot water outlet and maybe needs pushing in or replacing.

This is what you need, if you go to a dealer they will have one. If it's leaking badly all that will happen is it will empty your cold water tank. .....just turn off your pump & water heater until fixed, if it's only a drip then wait until service. It would take just a few seconds to fit.

http://www. leisureshopdirect. com/caravan/water/product_36269/elbow_fitting_for_hot_water_outlet_truma_boilers. aspx

Edited by Caravanmedicswindon

For any additional information or advice please have a look on my website. .....

www. thecaravanmedic-swindon. co. uk

Thanks for the advice & suggestions. It is definitely the clear pipe from the red valve and not the black pipe from the brass fitting.

Caravan medic - I guess the Truma fitting you suggest is also suitable for the Alde boiler? Makes life easier if it is.

At least the reassurance that I can continue to use the boiler with the drip is a relief. I am getting maybe a cupful of water every 2 hours or so from the leak.

Fingers crossed for finding a replacement tomorrow.

Thanks again for the help.

Steve

The pressure relief valve is fitted to both Truma & Alde boilers. As you are running an Alde it won't matter if you run out of water if you turn the pump off as it won't harm the boiler. ....you will just have no hat water when you need it. Where are you camped? I have a new valve in my van.

Edited by Caravanmedicswindon

For any additional information or advice please have a look on my website. .....

www. thecaravanmedic-swindon. co. uk

• 1 year later...

I have same problem :(

This happened at Christmas and I took it to bits and blew in it and it seemed to reseal.

Problem is it's leaking again now and blowing not worked.

It is slightly different than the one above - both pipe connection are different sizes and push fit not thread.

Any idea where I can get one in Oxford area on a Sunday?

A Vanner without a van due to the demands of DIY and SWMBO - 40 years was a good run though :unsure:

Now a Motorhome Learner with a Fiat Toad :o

Hello there.

We find these leaks are usually caused by limescale or slime on the ball valve inside this component. Washing it through with hot water and Fairy Liquid, or a splash of white vinegar, may solve the problem.

I got a new one on-line

Discovery 4 XS SDV6 and Airstream 532 plus 1996 MGF owned since new.

I have looked online Ted but they are compression fitting and equal sizes. Mine is push fit and different size on tank than pipe.

Also caravan is less than year old so was hoping to get this sorted under warranty but response from Alde customer service has been poor.

Being asked to send part for testing before it can be replaced while away on holiday will mean no water at all until resolved.

My dealer have closed down so no help there.

Whale were thankfully more helpful when my controller played up and sent part overnight to camp site.

A Vanner without a van due to the demands of DIY and SWMBO - 40 years was a good run though :unsure:

Yep that is the part I got - push fit complete with spare tubing, unfortunately I can not remember where I got it from.

Discovery 4 XS SDV6 and Airstream 532 plus 1996 MGF owned since new.

Just noticed this post again. I ordered the spare part direct from Alde back in Jan 2014 and its been fine ever since.

In my case lime scale appeared to be the cause ??

Cheers.

Steve

Cheers Ted that looks like the part :)

Guess I'll have to pay for this seeing as Alde are too tight to send me one :(

I can't see how limescale has caused this problem on a 10 month old caravan not used since last summer apart from a week at Christmas and again now. However I've spent more in fuel and time on this so will just order one

Have now fixed this and hopefully might help someone else in the future - remove red fitting from alde with clear overflow pipe attached. Stick clear pipe in end of site water tap/hose and flush through fitting then refit and should stop leaking - mine has after 5 days of messing with it :)

• 4 years later...
On 30/03/2015 at 08:32, Alde UK said:

Hello there.

We find these leaks are usually caused by limescale or slime on the ball valve inside this component. Washing it through with hot water and Fairy Liquid, or a splash of white vinegar, may solve the problem.

Hi

This is the second time this leak has happened.  The first time the dealer fitted a new elbow in August, the original was red but the replacement was white.  I think this worked for a while but noticed it again only 7 month later.  The van is now out of its warranty.  Is that the valve you said to clean as it just looks like an elbow,  Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Yes.  Available in red and white form.  AIUI It's a one way valve designed to allow air in via clear pipe when draining down HW tank.  But can leak water back when pressurised (hot).

https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/gas/caravan-water-heater/alde-accessories/alde-domestic-hot-water-connection-red-12mm-speedfit

http://www.swordcrowncaravans.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=204

You may be able to clean / descale the one way valve seal, or it may never fully seal again.

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

• 10 months later...

This has happened to me a few times too. Leaving the van standing with water in the system appears to be a contributor. I now drain down every time. Fault occurred on a cleaned valve and a new one. Debris in the valve whether its limescale or not is the cause but my original valve now drips constantly after being cleaned last time so I assume that the valve seat may now be damaged. I'm considering fitting a filter to the cold inlet as my van doesn't have one. I now have two push fit blanks with me so when it happens I can isolate the hot and cold water by blanking the boiler cold feed. At least I have cold water until I sort the problem but I've also just bought a new spare because I expect it will happen again. Having had other water system problems having the blanks with me has been a wise move.

• 4 months later...

Hi!

I have now the same problem, I ordered a new one that came to me a week ago. How do you remove the old one? Is it some trick to do it or am I missing something? Force? :)

Thanks!

Edited by TedSundin

Other makes are similar, but can be different.

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.