Caravans Weighing Under 950Kg?

edessex

I've been looking for a small caravan for a while now. I want one primarily to use as a tearoom / toilet / changing room on my smallholding. But will in the end be used for holidays away.

I've only got a small car, so the caravan needs a max permissable weight of 950kg (about 18. 5ctw).

Is there a list of caravans somewhere sorted by weight, so I can narrow down my search?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Ed.

Look on the caravanfinder website. You can narrow your search from layout, and what berths.

Citroen ds4 2. 0 hdi 163bhp Lunar Venus 500 2012.

Hi Ed and :welcome:

There are a few posts on this subject, the most recent one is here with back links to some good advice.

H.

Finding things funny since 1968 :blink:

Look at eBay item 190993920946 as my 1st van was an Elddis Wisp (hence my forum name) and we had the 450 which has a MTPLM of 937kgs and sleeps four.

BUT as with any vehicle on eBay, don't bid at all until you've seen it and as Wisp's are quite old now, don't expect any warranty.

In fact for the weight you want, the van may be quite a few years old so seek advice on this forum and try to view it with a family member of a friend or a neighbour who knows about caravans. You don't want to end up with a piece of damp junk but you could get a real bargain. Enjoy the search and finally :welcome:

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Thanks guys, sorry I should have done a proper search on here!

Because of what I want it for, an older caravan would be much better.

Seeing that Wisp has opened up a few more doors, I assumed all 4-births would be well over 950kg!

Probably best looking for an old caravan as from what I read I think they're getting heavier! Always had old caravans. Current one is 750kg / 1000kg. We're seasonal so weight's not an issue but old ones do seem much lighter.

Compass Shadow 1988

Thanks guys, sorry I should have done a proper search on here!

Because of what I want it for, an older caravan would be much better. Seeing that Wisp has opened up a few more doors, I assumed all 4-births would be well over 950kg!

Wisp 450 has large traditional double at the front. Across the rear is a single narrowish bed that is (daytime) two small benches and a centre table. 4th is a bunk above this but probably not for a heavy person. Ideally for couple + 2 kids. Ours was the 450/2 1991 and was completely dry when we sold it in 2008. A lovely van, but I'm biased as it was our 1st van and started us on this great pastime.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Try Freedom Caravans :-

http://www. freedomcaravans. com/

They have new and used.

This is an example of a used one from their site:-

http://www. freedomcaravans. com/freedom-jetstream-prima-2006-i1437. html

Ian

Thanks guys, I think eBay or newspaper type classifieds are the most likely places for me to look; because of what I am after it for, I'm looking at paying around scrap value.

I was hoping to find a list of caravan models, to help my search. As most people don't put the weight on the adverts!

Just a thought some folding caravans are within your specification. Light and an easy tow for a smaller tow car.

Good luck with your search.

The folding vans I was suggesting don't have any canvas.

As an aside. Years ago my father had a fiberglass folding caravan and talking to someone with one in July 45 years old and still in regular use. We could erect it in less than 5 minutes, it was all part of the fun.

Sorry, I used to have a folding canvas one, so every time I hear 'folding caravan' I think of that. The canvas rotted out, and it is now in use as a trailer!

I think I know the ones you mean, I've always quite liked them. But it would be used as a tearoom for the next couple of years, that would mean it would be erect the whole time, and I'm still not sure how it would cope with that. ..

• 2 weeks later...

I had a Gobur Carousel folder for 15 years. I would suggest that it would hold up against the elements as well as or better than most conventional caravans. I only changed back to conventional because we needed a bit more room. They are better (hand) built than most conventional caravans.

Gobur Carousel 12/2 TD

Coachman Amara 380/2

Swift Challenger Hi Style 425 pushing a Ford Kuga AWD

Most modern vans seem to be quite heavy and even 2 berth models are over 1000kgs unladen and this means around 1140kgs fully laden. I once owned a 1983 Avondale that had a 14' 6" body length and weighed around 11. 8cwt or 595kgs unladen and 15. 5cwt or 780kgs max weight but it had no mains, no fridge, no hot water, no fixed toilet and no TV aerial. As times progressed more and more equipment became standard in a caravan particularly in the more upmarket vans. To get the van you are looking for will mean either getting a quite old van or a small fibreglass model like the freedom or a folder like the Rapido that is not made any more. Hope you find a van that suits your needs but make sure it is watertight otherwise it is not worth buying.

2004 Citroen C5 2. 0ltr diesel auto VTR and 2011 Bailey Orion 430/4

As an aside, could one get a slightly larger caravan and take fridge, hot water, toilet etc out of it, and then get the plated weight reduced? Some manufacturers will increase their weights with new eg tyres and suspension, after all.

We used to own a Swift Classic Baronette that was 950kgs 4 berth, end washroom. Ours was a 1998 model. Plenty of room with a front lounge, side dinette that maybe ideal for what you may require.

Edited by Joanthephone

I had a Gobur Carousel folder for 15 years. I would suggest that it would hold up against the elements as well as or better than most conventional caravans. I only changed back to conventional because we needed a bit more room. They are better (hand) built than most conventional caravans.

I had one too & I agree.

Lightest with toilet at 900 kg max weight is the 12/2T Slimline.

http://www. goburcaravans. co. uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Slimline-TechSpecs. pdf

David

Edited by Swizz

Swizz