Eastern Side Of Italy

Hi

Does anyone have any thoughts on sights, sites and sounds of Eastern Italy? We've played a lot in the north and the west, but nothing on the eastern side. ...

Anyone any thoughts/suggestions as to what to see and do?

Russell

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

If you base yourselves around Pisa, you can catch a train very cheaply to Florence & if you are there in July travel to Lucca for the Blues festival, with our luck we managed to miss it by 2 -3 weeks a few years ago & I seem to remember Crosby, Stills & Nash were on, I definitely would pay to see them :rolleyes: .

http://www. discovertuscany. com/tuscany-events/summer-musical-concerts-and-festivals. html

Doh, sorry just re-read your post, you did say EAST not West.

Edited by stevew1

Subaru Outback 2. 0 DSE 2015, Coachman Pastiche 460/2, Lunar Ultima Extra 540,

, Pwrtouch mover, Quest Rolli awning.

It's a good suggestion, but we've been there. They are on the West side, we want to go east. That said, we like Italy so much, it does not matter if we end up in the same place humpteen times.

Has anyone done places like Ferrara?

Russell

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

About 8 years ago I had occasion to stay in Forli a few times through the summer. I remember it as quite a small market town, just about enough to keep you occupied for a day or two. In the same period I visited Cervia on the coast east of Forli. It was august when I was there so quite busy with Italian families on holiday. Very stylish, excellent seafood but no public beach as such, only the usual serviced lidos.

Freelander 2 and Bailey Unicorn Valencia (Classic Edition. ..)

It's a good suggestion, but we've been there. They are on the West side, we want to go east. That said, we like Italy so much, it does not matter if we end up in the same place humpteen times.

Has anyone done places like Ferrara?

Russell

I think David Kline was close to Ferrara last year when they had the earthquake.

About 8 years ago I had occasion to stay in Forli a few times through the summer. I remember it as quite a small market town, just about enough to keep you occupied for a day or two. In the same period I visited Cervia on the coast east of Forli. It was august when I was there so quite busy with Italian families on holiday. Very stylish, excellent seafood but no public beach as such, only the usual serviced lidos.

We visited Forli in 2009 as there was a Burstner dealer there (a rare sight in Italy and we needed a new sidelight). We were staying at the strangely named "Happy Camping" in Campeggio.

Russell,

Ravenna is great for mosaics and a lovely old town. Rimini has some good Roman stuff and is much more than just a '70's package destination. San Marino is interesting too. The beaches on this stretch of the coast are very regimented.

We have not been any further south than Ancona (ferry from Greece), but met an Italian/Dutch couple on our travels who sang the praises of the Gargano National Park ( the stirrup of Italy's boot) which they said was the best place in Europe in the spring.

Hyundai Santa Fe CRD auto + Burstner Belcanto 525 TL

http://www. oldagetraveller. net/

Ravenna is a lovely spot. The mosaics are something special.

We found a carpark literally behind the Basilica de Saint Apollinare Nuovo which cost 3euros for the day!

Always wanted to visit Forli after seeing Gina McKee play the part of the Shewolf of Forli in the Borges.

The wife pointed out that she wasn't going to be standing on the town ramparts flashing her womanhood anymore. ...so I sort of lost interest. LOL

Thanks all, keep em coming.

Russell

For our three summer holidays in the early 1990s whilst we lived in Naples, we went across to the East coast to the Gargano peninsula with our caravan and stayed near the lovely old town of Vieste. The coast is full of camp sites and after spending one very noisy night in a very crowded site full of German wind surfers we moved to Camping Touring about 5 km to the North of Vieste on the Peschici road. This was much cheaper and quieter but did not have a swimming pool. We did not miss that despite having a 4 year old and 7 year old as there was direct access to a fantastic beach and the water was warm and very clean compared to that around Naples. The pitches were also big and not too crowded. We went back to the site each year and left about the middle of July when the rates leapt up for the high season. Peschichi is also a lovely old town and we took a ferry for a day to the beautiful Trimiti Isles where the water was the clearest that I have ever swum in. The scenery of the Gargano away from the coast is wonderful, hilly woodland with some waymarked walks - with the age of the children it was primarily a beach holiday for us. Looking at Google maps for the spelling of Peschici, the area seems to be more built up than I remember it but that should not spoil the superb beaches and the wooded inland areas. We always approached from Foggia and along the coast road which was an easy tow if a little bendy in places but I do not know what the road is like from the North although that was the way many vans seemed to arrive.

Agree with Not So Big John that the Ravenna mosaics are well worth a visit. We stopped there during the day on our way from Vicenza to San Marino where we stopped for a night. They undoubtedly deserved more time than we gave them but they are not that attractive to young children.

We found San Marino an interesting place to visit for a day but it is very touristy with buses of day trippers from the coastal resorts. You drive as far as possible up the hill and then park and walk. There is a fantastic car museum near the bottom of the hill with a great collection of not only famous Italian makes but also some unique ones from other countries.

If you are down that far and have never been into the Abruzzo National Park, it is well worth a visit with lovely cool air in the spring and autumn (and not too hot in the middle of summer due to altitude) and a great contrast to the coast.

For our three summer holidays in the early 1990s whilst we lived in Naples, we went across to the East coast to the Gargano peninsula with our caravan and stayed near the lovely old town of Vieste. The coast is full of camp sites and after spending one very noisy night in a very crowded site full of German wind surfers we moved to Camping Touring about 5 km to the North of Vieste on the Peschici road. This was much cheaper and quieter but did not have a swimming pool. We did not miss that despite having a 4 year old and 7 year old as there was direct access to a fantastic beach and the water was warm and very clean compared to that around Naples. The pitches were also big and not too crowded. We went back to the site each year and left about the middle of July when the rates leapt up for the high season. Peschichi is also a lovely old town and we took a ferry for a day to the beautiful Trimiti Isles where the water was the clearest that I have ever swum in. The scenery of the Gargano away from the coast is wonderful, hilly woodland with some waymarked walks - with the age of the children it was primarily a beach holiday for us. Looking at Google maps for the spelling of Peschici, the area seems to be more built up than I remember it but that should not spoil the superb beaches and the wooded inland areas. We always approached from Foggia and along the coast road which was an easy tow if a little bendy in places but I do not know what the road is like from the North although that was the way many vans seemed to arrive.

Agree with Not So Big John that the Ravenna mosaics are well worth a visit. We stopped there during the day on our way from Vicenza to San Marino where we stopped for a night. They undoubtedly deserved more time than we gave them but they are not that attractive to young children.

We found San Marino an interesting place to visit for a day but it is very touristy with buses of day trippers from the coastal resorts. You drive as far as possible up the hill and then park and walk. There is a fantastic car museum near the bottom of the hill with a great collection of not only famous Italian makes but also some unique ones from other countries.

If you are down that far and have never been into the Abruzzo National Park, it is well worth a visit with lovely cool air in the spring and autumn (and not too hot in the middle of summer due to altitude) and a great contrast to the coast.

That was a very interesting post as we are hoping to visit Gargano (the wife is an orchid nut) this April/May. We were also planning to move across to Pompeii for a few days before escaping back to countryside.

Di you every get across to the beehive houses in Alberobello and the Sassi Di matera ? We wondered about campsites some where in that region to 'catch' both locations?

Sorry to hijack your thread Russell.

Eric,

Yes we visited the houses at Alberobello and also the cave dwellings at Matera - there is an article on these in todays D Telegraph travel section. . However, we did not use the caravan for those visits as I was working with NATO and had access to family accommodation at a USAF base at San Vito near Brindisi. They are both well worth a visit as is the city of Lecce slightly further South.

When looking for sites in an area we either used the CC Europe book or a booklet of agriturismo sites - ACSI did not exist. I did a quick internet search and found these small sites are now listed under agricamping. it which is well worth a look. We found the small sites excellent and usually very quiet. They will not be busy in May and we often had them almost to ourselves.

If you, or Russell go further South we stayed in the Sila National Park at Camping La Fattoria at Camigiliatello Silano which is a beautiful area for walking. We went there in early Jan and discovered it was also a ski area and we were in about 4 feet of snow despite being so far South. The site is at the rear of a hotel called La Fattoria.

In the Abruzzi National Park we stayed near Pescasseroli at Campeggio D'Orso which was a lovely little site and Pescasserli had an excellent pizzeria: both from the diary and from memory!

All my experiences are now possibly out of date as we were there in the early 90s but hope it is still helpful.

Thanks for all the input.

Agruturismo is a great "thing" but is it "official" or like France Passion or not? I've stayed at a couple of "agriturismo" places, based on a sign by their premises, but no one seemed to give a toot about where we pitched, whether we bought anything or whether we ate there!

Russell

We stayed at an excellent Agriturismo site, Pian di Boccio, at Bevagna, Umbria, a few years ago. From its website I wrongly assumed that there was a government grant available to renovate part of a farm for tourist purposes. However, Googling 'Agriturismo' I found this site, which explains some of the history. It seems to be just an adjective rather than an actual organisation.

Hyundai Santa Fe CRD auto + Burstner Belcanto 525 TL

http://www. oldagetraveller. net/

http://www. volcanodiscovery. com/campi-flegrei. html

I see the pressure is building in this caldera west of Naples. Hope it hangs on till after end of May. :unsure:

- dont tell the wife!!!!!

Edited by ericfield

I'd agree then that the term is more of an "adjective" then rather than an official organisation like France Passion.

Either way, to stay for free at Lake Garda I don't care what it is. I'm hoping to pick grapes etc in late September if things go to plan

Russell

We only came across Agristurismo as we found a leaflet in a tourist office or maybe at a campsite somewhere that had a list of campsites with some basic details operating under that 'adjective'. I suspect that there was some money (possibly EU) given out to promote this as a means of helping the very poor farmers of southern Italy. As Not so Big John's referred article states that it started in 1985, we were using one or two of the sites some four years later. I can't tell from our diary whether the little sites we used came from the leaflet or from the CC Europe book which we found incredibly helpful even then.