Route Planning Using A Satnav (Tomtom Or Garmin 760Lmt-D)

John_b_45

I've long been a fan of Tyre and the preparation of detailed itineraries for towing.

Over the years I have created a collection of Itineraries that take me to, for example, a site but using the published directions rather than what the SatNav thinks is the best route. Similarly I have Itineraries for many routes abroad, especially to avoid narrow roads or to take me around problem areas safely.

My trusty old TomTom 730 is though, about to expire. I can no longer connect to my computer using USB so no new Itineraries can be added nor can I update the device in any way! (And yes I've re-set, used different cables, written to TomTom etc. The device will not connect - sadly Windows does not recognise it!)

This leaves me with a dilemma. A replacement.

The latest 4th generation TomToms do allow Itinerary planning but only on the unit itself. That is by using the map on the screen (touching it) or adding locations previously saved. Some of the devices have a 7inch screen so it may be possible to touch the screen accurately to place a way-point into an Itinerary but again, so far as I understand it, these are added after the device has planned a route from A to B. This is not my preferred way of using my SatNav.

The dedicated TomTom Caravan device, I think, comes with a 5inch screen and if it is NOT a GO400, GO500, GO600, GO5000, GO6000 family member will be limited to only 4 waypoints. I think it's a 3rd series, GO LIVE device. Perhaps someone who has a Camper version can enlighten me.

But whatever TomTom series 4 I buy there is no way of connecting to my PC and loading in my Itineraries or creating them externally.

There are countless forums/posts denouncing this, in my view, retrograde step. TomTom say they are producing a much simpler menu system and the more "advanced" features are now removed. (They don't put it quite like that of course!) I wonder if with the unlimited Itinerary facility (although only via the unit direct) of series 4 versions compared with the limit of only 4 waypoints for series 3 versions demonstrates software released that is still under development or perhaps TomTom is responding to the many people who bemoan their simplification policy!

Whatever the position I am sorry to say my days with TomTom are over. This leads me to Garmin as a viable alternative.

The Garmin Camper 760LMT-D seems to neatly fill the gap left by TomTom and I would be really grateful if someone who has one could comment on the questions I've added below. I have researched, watched videos, downloaded the Garmin BaseCamp software etc. but a REAL user would be wonderful.

1. I think I am correct in understanding that Itineraries produced by Tyre and/or Google maps can be imported into this Garmin model. The extra step of checking absolute accuracy and the matching of Google Maps with the actual maps in the device using BaseCamp is a bonus I think. A little extra time for peace of mind. Can this be confirmed please.

2. I would be astonished if 3rd party POIs (Archies for example) and Speed Cameras could not be imported. Can this be confirmed please.

I'm not seriously interested in opinions regarding the quality of routes suggested and frankly will check there is no other version offering everything except the Caravan/Campervan suggested routes because I would never trust them totally any way. The whole point of using Google Maps and Tyre is to do just that - plan according to my outfit! And hopefully a version without the Caravan/Campervan data will be cheaper anyway. I can load my own data thank you very much (at least if question 2 is a yes!)

If there are any other issues a user can comment upon that would be fantastic. I am NOT looking for opinions regarding the "best" system for caravanning just informed information covering the questions I ask and other relevant advice from users. I hope this doesn't sound dismissive or rude but to be told that "I have a Ventura Pro and it's fantastic" will not take me, or others contemplating future purchases, forward.

I do apologise for the length of this post but perhaps a few others will be interested in the responses. I do know from related posts in the past quite a few forum members use Tyre and will bemoan the fact that it is no longer of use with a TomTom (Incidentally - Tyre CAN be used with TomTom Rider!! - Mmmmm Wonder why!

Thank you in advance for information.

Santa Fe 7 Seater Premium Manual towing Swift Eccles 480 plated to 1500 kg. 

I am also considering the Garmin Camper 760LMT-D, as a replacement for my existing Garmin 1490LMT.

My main reasons are;

1. Designed specifically for caravaners.
2. All ACSI sites are stored on the 760’s maps.
3. User friendly menu system.
4. Purchase includes Lifetime future map updates free of charge.
5. Lifetime Live traffic updates.
6. Life time Speed Camera updates.

As I have not yet purchased the 760, I can only confirm your points at both 1 & 2, in relation to my Garmin 1490LMT are both possible and very easy to do.

Edited by WindlePoones

Twin Axle Fleetwood Heritage 640 EST - pulled by a dual fuel, (Petrol/LPG) BMW 528i Auto

I am also considering the Garmin Camper 760LMT-D, as a replacement for my existing Garmin 1490LMT.

My main reasons are;

1. Designed specifically for caravaners.

2. All ACSI sites are stored on the 760’s maps.

3. User friendly menu system.

4. Purchase includes Lifetime future map updates free of charge.

5. Lifetime Live traffic updates.

6. Life time Speed Camera updates.

As I have not yet purchased the 760, I can only confirm your points at both 1 & 2, in relation to my Garmin 1490LMT are both possible and very easy to do.

Thanks for that WP.

I didn't know that life time speed camera updates were offered - that's a real bonus.

So far as I understand it (I am not clear on this point) the live traffic is not the variety that requires a linked phone and a subscription. I know some TomToms offer live traffic directly through the unit and require no phone. I'll investigate further to clarify that issue but just to have the RDS type traffic updates is a bonus.

I've watched countless videos most of which, with the exception of a trip round Hyde Park, are American and not very well produced. I'm certainly more than interested in the unit, primarily for the ability to plan and save routes externally using Google Maps, Tyre or the supplied BaseCamp software. I like the idea of a 7inch screen since I wear specs. for driving and the clearer the better for me.

I've not looked closely yet but a unit that has everything this has without the dedicated caravan routing and included camp sites would be an attractive proposition. I don't trust routes without examination - hence the importance of an Itinerary - and I am more than happy to add my own sites and other POIs.

Let's hope a forum member owns one and can add more detail to the debate but thanks for your useful post.

Also considering one of these I like the ability to attach a reversing camera. Last time out I had to reverse 1/2 mile down a country lane because of a broken down tractor. My caravan is stored on a farm down said lane so navigation would not have helped, but the camera would :D

I'm going to try to get my hands on a TomTom GO 6000 before deciding. The TomTom offers full traffic info both here and abroad with no roaming charges of course, since built into the unit. The screen is 6" and it has IQ routes and lifetime maps. What it doesn't have is dedicated caravan routing which would not concern me IF I could prepare my routes using Google Maps or Tyre and import as Itineraries. Sadly it does not allow this thus my wish to see if I can live with the "on screen" facility to add way-points to an already loaded journey! I very much doubt I will be convinced.

The Garmin wins for the facility to import or plan routes in advance using external software. In fact I see no reason why I can't simply load any of the Itineraries previously created for my old TomTom, into Tyre and simply re-save as garmin files. Drop these into BaseCamp to check and upload to the unit. This is likely going to be the crucial advantage I think.

Unfortunately the Garmin does not offer "3D" terrain view, "myTrends" nor "trafficTrends" (the "IQ" routing in TomTom). Nor does it receive the nulink! services - real-time traffic information. Instead it simply had a RDS receiver built into the power cable!

After a closer look I think WP is wrong is saying Garmin give free lifetime speed cameras. I don't think either unit does.

The jury is still out but at this moment leaning towards Garmin. Without a doubt if Itinerary planning was still offered in the TomTom 6000 I would buy that. I have no interest in the Go Live Camper unit since a smaller screen and only a possible 4 way-points rule it out for me.

Still hoping someone with hands on knowledge will appear!

Happy New Year to everyone!

The Camper 760LMT-D offers much more than, user customisable and flexible routing, by entering your vehicle’s profile information, (customisable by height, weight, length and width) it will find suitable routes. Additionally it will provide received warnings for risks of grounding, lateral wind, narrow road, sharp curves, steep hill and tree overhangs. It also enables you to insert up to 1000 way points.

Garmin’s Digital Traffic is more than just RDS information. Even on my old 1490 Garmin I receive ample warnings of real time traffic jams ahead and estimated travel delays if I continue on the current route. The unit offers alternative routes around the jams. There are no ongoing subscriptions for this service it is a guaranteed life time update - FOC.

The free Lifetime maps update is a quarterly FOC update service which includes points of interest such as campgrounds, (Including Europe wide ACSI and MHF databases) and navigation information.

All Garmin Sat Navs are pre-loaded with the Cyclops speed and safety camera service. The Cyclops camera service itself is updated daily. If additional fixed, average speed, mobile, variable, temporary/roadwork, red light and red light speed cameras, (here today gone tomorrow) information is required, the user may subscribe to the real-time update service, £12. 99pa or £24. 99 for a lifetime subscription. The UK and Ireland is covered for £16. 99. The service can then be linked via a FOC smart phone app to provide real-time updates to your Garmin.

The Camper 760LMT-D has a 7 inch display. Motorway junctions are made clear by; early warning pre-junction PIP images. Then immediately before the junction additional info is provide by, voice instructions, large lane change arrows overlaid on a 2D graphic of the lane to take and finally a full screen 3D photo realistic image is displayed on the screen making the lane to take crystal clear, irrespective of the complexity of the junction.

My 5 inch 1490LMT has all the above except the additional interactive camper specific information which is the only reason I am considering changing it.

Another useful feature of the 1490LMT is its ability to couple via a Bluetooth dongle into the cars OBDS system to read the cars fault codes, (if any) and also provides real-time performance statistics. I don’t know if this feature is included with the Camper 760LMT-D.

The hands free voice activated mobile phone feature is also very useful.

Edited by WindlePoones

Twin Axle Fleetwood Heritage 640 EST - pulled by a dual fuel, (Petrol/LPG) BMW 528i Auto

Thanks again for that WP.

I am impressed to be honest - I had, of course, read the specifications that you outline.

These decisions are always a matter of pros and cons but the Garmin is ahead of the field.

If speed camera updates are only £24. 99 I'll do the lifetime option. I presume if the unit is linked to my phone and accesses real time traffic and camera data that is a chargeable service - hence the distinction I drew previously!

Unlike you I'm not wanting this primarily because it should calculate caravan friendly routes - I will always check and the ability to link to software allows this along with Itinerary planning. This is, for me, the winning facility. The size is also important although I wonder where I'll fix it!.

If I get one in the near future I'll post my views here but again, thanks for your first hand experience.

The jury is still out but at this moment leaning towards Garmin. Without a doubt if Itinerary planning was still offered in the TomTom 6000 I would buy that. I have no interest in the Go Live Camper unit since a smaller screen and only a possible 4 way-points rule it out for me.

you could buy the 6000 then purchase the caravan software for £85

2016 Ssangyong Rexton EX 2. 2 auto & 2018 Bailey series 4 Pampalona.

you could buy the 6000 then purchase the caravan software for £85

I could Doug but unfortunately that doesn't get over the issue of planning and importing Itineraries. I'm not really happy with the "on screen" adding of way-points. I don't trust any SatNav and the TomTom Caravan version, with only up to 4 way-points possible and added "on-screen", doesn't appeal. I can add all my own POIs and I quite enjoy planning routes using Tyre and/or Google maps.

Are you sure that the software for the Camper version will run on the 6000? I've not researched this but I certainly understood it ran ONLY on the earlier TomToms.

Garmin offer BaseCamp route planning software that allows the import of files created externally. That is THE SELLING POINT for me. The 7" screen is also attractive. I can barely make out the warnings on my present TomTom 720 on the small screen.

I think the Garmin is very expensive and if I found a cheaper model that ONLY lacked the camping element I would but that.

I could Doug but unfortunately that doesn't get over the issue of planning and importing Itineraries. I'm not really happy with the "on screen" adding of way-points. I don't trust any SatNav and the TomTom Caravan version, with only up to 4 way-points possible and added "on-screen", doesn't appeal. I can add all my own POIs and I quite enjoy planning routes using Tyre and/or Google maps.

Are you sure that the software for the Camper version will run on the 6000? I've not researched this but I certainly understood it ran ONLY on the earlier TomToms.

Garmin offer BaseCamp route planning software that allows the import of files created externally. That is THE SELLING POINT for me. The 7" screen is also attractive. I can barely make out the warnings on my present TomTom 720 on the small screen.

I think the Garmin is very expensive and if I found a cheaper model that ONLY lacked the camping element I would but that.

Hi John it was the tomtom helpline that suggested it to me, as I would prefer the 6 inch screen as opposed to the 5 inch that the standard Caravan and camper is supplied on. Apparently it will also run on the start 60. The only issue that the helpdesk was not clear about was as to whether or not the campsite database is updated or if it is only the the normal road database that is included in the lifetime updates ( which is actually 4 updates per year ) this could be the same for both the caravan & camper unit as well as the software only option. Why don't you give tomtom a ring their customer service desk number is

0845 1610009.

Regards

Doug

P. S. I still have not decided which unit to buy but it will be one of the tomtom options as I have read to much negative comment with the caravan club version ( snooper) on this forum.

Edited by Dougb

2016 Ssangyong Rexton EX 2. 2 auto & 2018 Bailey series 4 Pampalona.

Hi John it was the tomtom helpline that suggested it to me, as I would prefer the 6 inch screen as opposed to the 5 inch that the standard Caravan and camper is supplied on. Apparently it will also run on the start 60. The only issue that the helpdesk was not clear about was as to whether or not the campsite database is updated or if it is only the the normal road database that is included in the lifetime updates ( which is actually 4 updates per year ) this could be the same for both the caravan & camper unit as well as the software only option. Why don't you give tomtom a ring their customer service desk number is

0845 1610009.

Regards

Doug

P. S. I still have not decided which unit to buy but it will be one of the tomtom options as I have read to much negative comment with the caravan club version ( snooper) on this forum.

Thanks Doug

I'm not considering the Snooper although it seems to be popular - I have been looking at the Garmin 760LMT-D.

This has everything the TomTom has in the way of updates for maps, traffic etc and for the lifetime of the device. It also has a 7" screen but, so far as I can tell. may not use the IQ routes of the TomTom. I could be mistaken about this since Garmin use different phraseology from TomTom. I suspect that if I use the unit to plan as a caravan outfit then road suitability will take precedence over traffic flow anyway! Perhaps when used as just a car some accountability is taken - I simply don't know.

I've been more than happy with TomTom over the years and will be sad to go elsewhere. The single most important reason I am changing brands is the removal of the Itinerary planning options in the 3rd and the 4th generation of their devices. Their help-desk has always been prompt to respond to any queries in spite of opposing views I've read on the forum but seem to not listen to the countless complains regarding this single issue from forums and reviews.

You are not clear about updates to camping sites you say. I have always used Archies and these are, dare I say it, as extensive and accurate as any around. But, and here's the rub, I can and will check the exact location of a site using Google Earth or Maps. It's quite simple to see it from above in Satellite view or "drive" past it usually. Having done that as well as creating an Itinerary to get to the vicinity I can plot either the exact route over the final approach suggested by the site owners or, if unavailable, my own using a "drive along it" technique with Google.

I simply don't trust any SatNav to be 100% foolproof hence my wish to check for myself. The ONLY advantage of buying a caravan specific unit is that at present, if I am told a quicker route is available I never take it. Simply because it may well be "around the houses". I MAY be tempted to listen to a dedicated SatNav since I would hope and new route to avoid hold-ups would be suitable. At least if the device is accurate it should be and maybe worth taking the chance.

The jury is still out for me but heavily leaning towards the Garmin.

I do appreciate your advice regarding the TomTom 6000 but even if the maps are updated etc it is still a 4th generation TomTom. As such I can't see it as a removable drive. I think TomTom are moving towards simplicity which could be interpreted as "blind faith" and whilst Itineraries with multiple stops are now possible it is ONLY by creating a route first then either touching a point on the screen or adding an already saved way-point. My strong preference is to plan on my computer.

Best wishes

John

• 4 months later...

Hi John_b_45,

I was wondering if you have purchased and tried out your sat nav yet. I am trying to make a choice between the two mentioned devices and would like to know which you chose. Any other information on the pro's and con's you have found would also be appreciated.

Hi John_b_45,

I was wondering if you have purchased and tried out your sat nav yet. I am trying to make a choice between the two mentioned devices and would like to know which you chose. Any other information on the pro's and con's you have found would also be appreciated.

Hi

Yes I have made my choice and it's the Garmin nivi 3598LMT-D

If you search for the topic "Tomtom Go Live Camper & Caravan Itineraries" you will find all the details there. Specifically post 16.

If you want to ask any specific questions please do so - either here of in a personal message. Good luck in your choice. (Btw, the model I have has been reduced by £40 at Halfords grrrrr!)

Thanks for that information John. I am still undecided and am running out of time (away to France for 2 weeks from this Saturday). :rolleyes: I know we will be able to manage without it but hope that I can decide and purchase one before we go to give it a trial run.

Thanks for that information John. I am still undecided and am running out of time (away to France for 2 weeks from this Saturday). :rolleyes: I know we will be able to manage without it but hope that I can decide and purchase one before we go to give it a trial run.

Have a great break whatever.

Just a word of warning though. .........! If you are hoping to import Itineraries or create new ones then leave yourself time to get to grips with Basecamp. Once you grasp the essentials its not difficult but there is a learning curve.

If you use Tyre for route planning you can still create a route in Tyre then import into Basecamp. The advantage of doing this is that you can see the route (itinerary) on the actual map in your sat nav. on Basecamp. Remember Tyre uses Google maps and there could be differences,

I will leave that until I am relaxed after the holiday as I would not have a clue where to start and will not have the time before the weekend.

I have bitten the bullet and ordered the Garmin Caravan 760 LMT-D. I just hope it arrives in enough time for me to get to grips with the basics, our last Sat Nav was a Christmas gift, some RAC model (seem to have misplaced it!) I spent more time shouting at it and trying to find the correct route when it went haywire, which was quite often. I just hope the Garmin 'does what it says on the tin' . :unsure:

• 9 months later...

I will leave that until I am relaxed after the holiday as I would not have a clue where to start and will not have the time before the weekend.

I have bitten the bullet and ordered the Garmin Caravan 760 LMT-D. I just hope it arrives in enough time for me to get to grips with the basics, our last Sat Nav was a Christmas gift, some RAC model (seem to have misplaced it!) I spent more time shouting at it and trying to find the correct route when it went haywire, which was quite often. I just hope the Garmin 'does what it says on the tin' . :unsure:

I am considering getiing a camper satnav and was leaning towards the Garmin unit. I have been using an elderly Nuvi 255 but it is reaching the end of it's useful life. I was wondering how you got on with the 760 LMT.

Madra

Were you aware that on Thursday, Aldi are selling this same unit for £199!!!!

I have one being put by for me.

I am then interested in the route planning idea. Not something I have ever looked at before, and will accept any tips please.

I am considering getiing a camper satnav and was leaning towards the Garmin unit. I have been using an elderly Nuvi 255 but it is reaching the end of it's useful life. I was wondering how you got on with the 760 LMT.

Hi MadraDubh,

I still have only used a few of the features but find it to be really easy to use and being able to switch from car mode to caravan or even Motorhome which we now have is really easy. You just need to put the dimensions of your vehicle in and it adjusts the speed limits for you which we have found useful. I am sure that as we use it more this year we will use more of the features but did find it handy in France as it has some sites prelisted.

My brother in law is wanting one so I will pass on the information on the great deal at Aldi that porchieboy mentioned. Thanks for the tip porchieboy. ; )

Madra

Were you aware that on Thursday, Aldi are selling this same unit for £199!!!!

I have one being put by for me.

I am then interested in the route planning idea. Not something I have ever looked at before, and will accept any tips please.

Hi Portchieboy,

Thanks for the tip, unfortunately, Aldi is not offering a SatNav in my area, but my daughter is living in London, I'll ask her to try and get one for me.

My experience with the Garmin Nuvi has been rather mixed. It will get me to my destination but sometimes the route is quite torturous, at times taking down some very narrow lanes (my wife gets anxious when she sees grass growing in the centre of the road). My Garmin has only 2 routing options, Fastest or Shortest, neither option seems to make much difference.

Maybe the 760 LMT might be better.