Tow Cars

rodders68

hi all.

i am thinking of changing my xtrail, for a car again.

models include c5 2. 0ltr

vw passat 2. 0lt

and vauxhall insignia

any thoughts will be appreciated.

cheers rodders B)

skoda superb hatch 1. 6 tdi towing bailey ranger 380

Have had the C5 and the passat both being auto and both towed well. .Maybe the passat was a bit better on fuel but found the C5 more comfortable as it was the top of the range. Now have the Volvo V70 and this is better than both the others in every respect.

My brother changed his S-Max for a Passat Estate and is really disappointed with it. New S-max is on the horizon

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

Friend had C5 as company car and said it was a good tower and his wife thought it very comfortable to drive as well. He changed for an Insignia on retirement and had no end of problems with it.

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Hi Rodders,

Like you I also tow with an XTrail and like you I'm beginning to think about getting a newer one as mine will be 8 years old in March.

The three cars you mention are all front wheel drive and for myself I think I would miss the confidence that is offered by 4WD. I accept that you don't actually need 4WD for most of the time but when you do it's great to have it available. In my experience 4WD makes a big difference to pulling away on steep inclines and also when manouvering on wet grass on campsites.

What I'd really like is a relatively newish Discovery but that would be a bit pricey for me so I think a newer XTrail would be an excellent second best.

We fight not for glory, nor for wealth nor honours . ..

but only and alone we fight for freedom,

which no good man surrenders but with his life.

Am on my second Passat, first was 1. 8T petrol B5 2000 X reg, curent one is B6 2. 0l TDI 170. B6 has had rear springs upgraded. It tows brilliantly, very stable, returning 27 - 30 MPG towing at 60. Possibly a tiny bit on the sluggish side getting the outfit rolling, but once it is, it's very flexible and willing. Been to southern Spain and southern Italy in the B6 solo and found it very comfortable and economical. Averaged 61 MPG, which is enough to get from London to the Spanish boarder on one tank. That's with two adults, two children plus fully loaded boot. Will probably have another Passat next time, but maybe an auto.

Depending on the vans MTPLM, Skoda Octavia Estate 2. 0TDi 4x4 (mass in service 1,495kg) or even the Scout with more weight also you could go for the Skoda Superb 4x4. Plenty of load space with the benefit of extra traction. :)

Škoda Octavia Estate 2. 0TDi 4x4 towing a Compass Omega 482.

thanks all, did have a B5 passat 130 and was great tow car and very good on fuel.

but wet 2012 sold me on a 4x4. cos we rally a lot.

highlandman like you say, xtrail is great as well.

but costs are rocketing, it is 9 years old in jan, although only done 64000 miles.

car tax £270 next year.

not made any moves yet just looking.

cheers rodders B)

skoda superb hatch 1. 6 tdi towing bailey ranger 380

What about the new skoda yeti? Even the 4x4 version is only £175 tax with the 2. 0tdi engine, or the 2wd version only £125pa tax wise

I currently tow with a Passat Estate 1. 6 TDI Bluemotion and I have found the car to be a very competent and stable towcar with excellent fuel consumption. The rear of the car does 'sag' a little once loaded up and the van is hitched, but overall it is an excellent work horse and I am hoping to replace it with a new Highline version in 2014.

2015 Swift Challenger 530SE & 2017 VW Tiguan R-line 4Motion 2.0TDI 150BHP

Hi Rodders,

You don't say what is the MPTLM of the caravan you are towing or your proposed budget.

However, given the range of cars you are considering, I would strongly recommend that you add the Skoda Superb Estate to your options. The CR 170 diesel is best for towing. It is available in 4x4, but we have never got stuck with the FWD. We have towed with ours for 2 years now and it has been the best car I have ever owned, both solo and for towing. We have towed our Coachman Pastiche 480/2 (MPTLM of 1420 kg) to the south of Spain and back, a long 'Tour de France' and a number of UK excursions. It has plenty of power and torque and has been completely stable when towing, even in some pretty viscious side winds. The boot is enormous. There is massive legroom in the back seats (which we use for caravaning clobber, leaving the dog with free range of the boot!).

Happy New Year.

Cheers,

Paul R T

Hi Rodders

Not wanting to sway you from your short list, I've always been a Vauxhall man but I now have a Mondeo estate. I can really recommend them.

Mines a 2. 0ltr manual 163bhp titanium x. I do 25000 miles a year and it's very comfy. Towing is easy in it. Mass in service is 1645kg and I tow a van at 1608kg.

Fuel wise, solo 50mpg ish, towing 26mpg ish

Rich

I currently tow with a Passat Estate 1. 6 TDI Bluemotion and I have found the car to be a very competent and stable towcar with excellent fuel consumption. The rear of the car does 'sag' a little once loaded up and the van is hitched, but overall it is an excellent work horse and I am hoping to replace it with a new Highline version in 2014.

Had MAD assistor springs fitted to mine this year - doesn't sag any more! Solo ride quality seems unaffected, though back end sits a couple of inches higher when unladen.