Your Typical Travel Plan For Travelling To The Mediterranean August 2014.

Hi,

The jurys out with regards to whether we use the caravan next summer for the main holiday after this years tiring journey home form Vias,(lots of noise from the boat on the roof didn't help) however, I am looking again at possible campsites on the Costa Brava at present. I will be using the Dover to Calias route eventually dopping down onto the A75 and turning right. Recently I have overnighted in Dover and then with the early morning crossing stopped at around Macon the first day, which is a slogg,and then getting to the destination around mid afternoon day 2. This is basically 2 full days of driving and around 12 nights on site before the return journey, which really bugged me this year although it wasn't anything new!. Could any one share their travel times stops /durations splitting the journey into 3 days is an obvious one ? my brother for instance drives all through the night(he's a shift worker so is used to it) interested to hear how others do it.

Thanks.

Regards Paul.

Paul

When we worked we tried to take 3 weeks together as ther extra week allowed a bit more flexibility. I appreciate that not always an option. If you don't mind the quick drive to your destination why not take a bit longer coming back by an extra stop or two. The secret is making the journey part of the holiday. One of the reasons the return journey is a slog is that you know that at the end of it you have to go back to work :o

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

Hi Paul, We have been touring abroad with the caravan for 10 years and though go for longer than 2 weeks we take our time seeing places and sights on the way to our destination approx. 1000 miles south east to Southern Austria. if you are interested look on my website below. . . ..

Elddis Crusader Storm with Kia Sorento XS

Joys of European Caravanning

Hi Paul

As David says, if you make the journey part of the holiday, then it doesn't seem too bad. If it's just a quick 'dash to the ports' then it can be awful.

In past times we used to try to add on a few hours/days at the beginning and end of our holiday, so, for example, we would set off straight after school on the last Friday, getting down to Dover for a late night ferry, then spending our first night on an Aire about an hour or two down the road. That way Saturday morning was our 'first day in France' and started with a breakfast of coffee and croissants in the service area restaurant. We then felt we were already on holiday. At the end of the holiday we used to come back on the weekend of the end of the Spring or August Bank Holiday, meaning we didn't have to go back to work until the Tuesday, which gave us a whole extra weekend. If you can possibly do this then it makes a real difference. Overnight stops were always 'minimal' - just steadies down, hook-up in, table and chairs outside, and either a ready-made meal to warm up, or a take-away from the pizzeria on site and we used to try to stop and find a site by 3. 00 to 4. 00 pm so that we had some time to unwind a bit and relax, and the boys to go off to the swimming pool or whatever.

We've done the Costa Brava, the Costa Dorada, and most of the Mediterranean, and these were always done with our first overnight stop (Friday) as mentioned, a second (Saturday) half way down France - around Vierzon/Bourges or even as far south as Clermont Ferrance - and a third (Sunday) near to the Spanish border or our destination campsite (even as far down as Argeles sur Mer when we headed for Spain), so that we arrived on site by lunchtime on Monday at the latest. That gave plenty of time for setting up and we felt we had a lot of that day on site. Of course it still only allows you about twelve days on site, but sadly there's no avoiding that unless you fly down and hire accommodation and a car! This is possible if you can book flights well in advance, and get a good deal on accommodation.

We have done the journey back from Cambrils on the Costa Dorada with one overnight stop in mid-France, and then another near Calais, (we have a long drive home the following day) but never done it in less than that. Personally we couldn't drive through the night, even with two drivers, so if we go that far we have to accept that it takes some effort to get there. These days we take longer, and spend all our holiday 'on the journey' without any real end destination in mind, just going where the mood takes us. However, I do appreciate that it's different when you're both working and have children with you.

I presume you've costed the alternative timings and costs using the Portsmouth or Newhaven ferries, both of which are nearer to you or even the new LD Lines from Poole to Santander. The huge price differences of the past between the longer and shorter crossings seems to be just that - a thing of the past and these days even the special offers are much less attractive than the less than £100 return you used to be able to book. A Newhaven outward late on Friday night, and then an early start in France on Saturday morning would get you well down France on your first day. You could then get a 6. 00 pm ferry home, and be back on your drive before midnight, giving you a whole extra day of travelling time actually in France rather than getting back from Dover! Unfortunately we don't have that option and are around six to seven hours from whatever port we choose to use!

Edited by ValA

Hi,

The jurys out with regards to whether we use the caravan next summer for the main holiday after this years tiring journey home form Vias,(lots of noise from the boat on the roof didn't help) however, I am looking again at possible campsites on the Costa Brava at present. I will be using the Dover to Calias route eventually dopping down onto the A75 and turning right. Recently I have overnighted in Dover and then with the early morning crossing stopped at around Macon the first day, which is a slogg,and then getting to the destination around mid afternoon day 2. This is basically 2 full days of driving and around 12 nights on site before the return journey, which really bugged me this year although it wasn't anything new!. Could any one share their travel times stops /durations splitting the journey into 3 days is an obvious one ? my brother for instance drives all through the night(he's a shift worker so is used to it) interested to hear how others do it.

Thanks.

Regards Paul.

hi paul, done that route to roses. stayed at mas nous.

Calais to rouen, and stopped at camping masalin at vert en drouais.

down to orleans and to clermont ferrand, (ceyrat municilpal site,)

then down to spanish border and to bay of roses, using N9and11,

no tolls incured, but would suggest motorway from boulou, to La Jonquera, cuts out a very skinny road.

about 250/300 miles a day maybe one day longer.

if you need a route, check out via michelin.

of course you can do it quicker if you use all the toll roads

cheers rodders B)

Edited by rodders68

skoda superb hatch 1. 6 tdi towing bailey ranger 380

Hi

We have ventured to Santa Susanna a few times, a small coastal town close to the Costa Brava. Travel wise. ...

Day 1 - Yorkshire to Calais - "a little bit further on than Rouen"

Day 2 - to Millau - about 5pm arrival

Day 3 - leisurely start and then to Camping Bon Repos

As a side issue, we run mostly toll free - see here is this is of interest.

Russ

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

Hi all,

Thank you for your replies, looks like a later ferry crossing and 2 nights travelling (3 days) is the way forward. We may attempt Euro Disney on the way home to break the journey up.

The Poole to Gijon crossing, looks very competitive can't drive there for the fuel costs alone! however the Tuesday start and Friday return will in reality only give me about 8 nights on site(MED) for that reason it's not a goer, all the other ferry routes blow the budget, after taking in consideration the onward travelling. I am surprised that they work for people on this forum(towing caravans) especially in the height of summer.

Regards Paul.