Alutech Leak Repair.

OrionSJG

Not to start another huge post on Bailey Alutech leaks but a few specific questions for anybody who has suffered a leak from the actual Alutech shell :-

What was the repair,

How long did the repair take

Who did the repair, dealer or Bailey

Has it been a success or leaked again.

The above will provide myself and maybe others reassurance that leaking Alutech shells can be repaired successfully. Thanks for sharing your story if you do.

Leaking locker door successfully repaired by myself. Then got rid of van in case anymore leaks occurred!

Sadly no van anymore but 35 years was a good run

John

Wet lockers or "corners"

Three repairs by a main dealer. (Dealer followed Bailey's repair instructions at each repair)

I believe one day for every repair.

Problem cured. .. I don't know.

Edited by Gaz40

Not to start another huge post on Bailey Alutech leaks but a few specific questions for anybody who has suffered a leak from the actual Alutech shell :-

What was the repair,

How long did the repair take

Who did the repair, dealer or Bailey

Has it been a success or leaked again.

The above will provide myself and maybe others reassurance that leaking Alutech shells can be repaired successfully. Thanks for sharing your story if you do.

Valencia 1 with wet locker returned for rectification last spring.

What was the repair? - As far as I can see, re-sealing of the extruded strip along each side. Sealant added around inside of grab handles and LED wires. Black plastic trays are now glued in place.

How long did it take? - 6 weeks, which was a pain as we wanted to start the season early in 2013.

Who did the repair? - Bailey in Bristol

Success or not? - I can no longer view the wooden floor of the 3 front lockers because the trays are glued in place and I've not attempted to drill them in order to poke the damp meter spikes through. However, checking the interior front floor inside the van now shows an acceptable reading with the meter.

Readings at the rear interior of the van are also OK. The dealer had reported damp here as well.

So far the work done appears to have been a success.

Tom

Adria Adora 612DL Seine + Lexus RX450h

We had a Pegasus 534 for about 18 months - got a Valencia 2 now - love it -especially the Alde heating - was worried about the front locker leaking problem so sealed all round the gap inside the central locker to wet locker join as some reports suggested that's where the leak came from. Our grab handle Led's didn't show any sign of leaking or water in them. Didn't have any signs of leaks elsewhere. Don't think it's a good idea to glue the wet locker liners in place as its then very difficult to check for leaks in this area.

Damp under liners in all front lockers - 2012

What was the repair, Bailey factory repair. Unable to get a report on what was actually done.
How long did the repair take, Dec 12 - Mar 13. deelayed at my request to off season
Who did the repair, dealer or Bailey. Bailey
Has it been a success or leaked again. Initially it was still damp but this dried out. Damp meter shows so9me reading sometimes, but at others (1 day later) shows no reading - probably condensation.

Overall - dealer managed problem well and has been attentive. Bailey took a long time with the van, but it was known that I didn't intend to use the van during this period.

Finger's crossed

2011 Olympus 464 & BMW X3 30D

Leak detected during second service with bailey dealership who supplied caravan, detected 40% danp readings. They then recieved authorisation from bailey to carry out the warranty works and assured me that by splashing around some type of water based paint and mastic sealing sent to them by bailey they had solved the problem. Bearing in mind we had a fairley resonable summer I then decided to take the Valencia 1 in to a different dealer for servicing as it was much more convient and less mileage for us, they came back to me with a 100% dampness reading for the front area of the caravan which was exactly the the area as previously repaired. We have since traded in the valencia even though it came with a ten year warranty.

Honda CRV 2. 2 CTDi with a Bailey Unicorn Valencia

We have since traded in the valencia even though it came with a ten year warranty.

That's what we did with ours. Expensive but gives peace of mind!

Sadly no van anymore but 35 years was a good run

John

• 2 years later...

#2010BAILEYOLYMPUS525

9/2011from an independent dealer.

1/2012 - Successfully transferred warranty to our name.

First service 2012 - 75% damp found in both front and back by Bailey Registered Dealer.

1/2013 Skirts and Bumpers resealed under Bailey Warranty by Bailey Registered Dealer.

12/2013 service - still damp - but going down. Bailey Registered Dealer.

12/2014 service - still damp - but going down - bring back in summer - Bailey Registered Dealer

7/2015 recheck - still damp - take it home - pull vinyl back-put blow heater in to help drying process - Bailey Registered Dealer

7/2015 done what we were told - found floor black and wet to touch - floor badly damaged.

12/2015 - back section of floor replace - Bailey Registered Dealer under Bailey Warranty.

7/2016 - we discovered more damp in front lockers - removed trays in wet lockers to find - floor wet black and spongy. Bunks out of line after repair - safety boards now do not fit. discovered damaged on top side of caravan (unsure what it is - looks like pimpling)

9/2016 taking advise from Trading Standards on a course of action on how to proceed.

Heartbroken!!

Our damp experience is as follows:

• Caravan purchased new in May 2010 by first owner
  • Caravan purchased by us in May 2014 privately directly from the above, checked the 3 previous services had been done and transferred the balance of the water ingress warranty to us. I had assumed it would be a balance of 3 years but Bailey confirmed it was a balance of 6 years.
  • Service undertaken by local franchised dealer in June 2014. They asked if we wanted the LED's replaced in front grab handles due to a number of them no longer illuminating, which we did. no damp recorded
  • Service undertaken by same dealer in July 2015, damp reported in both front lockers and offside bedlocker. Dealer refused to undertake the remedial work due to us not purchasing caravan from them
  • Called 4 other dealer all of whom refused to do the work, saying only a transient warranty member would be willing to do it, since dealer lose money on warranty work so they're not interested in doing it for anything they didn't sell.
  • After discussions with Bailey customer services they tracked down an independent repairer who is a member of the transient scheme who was willing to do the work. This was agreed at the end of September 2015. Due to delays in getting the parts and other delay's that we never got to the bottom of (the repairer not contacting us and leaving it for us to contact them all the time) the parts finally arrived at Christmas 2015. Repair booked for January 2016, which took a couple of days (they had it for a week due to logistics)
  • Service July 2016, damp recorded at 10% so currently the issue appears to have been resolved (and indeed may originally have been caused by the replacement of the LED's by the servicing dealer!)