Bmw X3

Happy Jack

I am due to change my company car and just about to pull the trigger on a BMW X3.

There isn't much else about in my price range that is big enough for the dogs with AWD and good emissions / performance. It is well within the towing limits required

It is the 2. 0 litre diesel with the autobox

I am especially interested in the VDC suspension option and whether this is a good option for towing. I test drove the M Sport with sports suspension and although I did like the handling I could see it getting a bit wearing whist towing on poor roads

Anyone on here towed with one?

Whatcar appear to say get the VDC with most of the Models, so probably worth having.

PC mag test the x3 against the XC60, the XC60 came out top, but the mag did say both cars were excellent towcars.

Whatcar appear to say get the VDC with most of the Models, so probably worth having.

PC mag test the x3 against the XC60, the XC60 came out top, but the mag did say both cars were excellent towcars.

Yes all the press cars were fitted with VDC but talking to the dealers they seem to sell very few with VDC. XC60 was considered but for non towing the BMW was a better option in performance, emissions etc. I may revist the Volvo before ordering.

Edited by Happy Jack

Take a look at out CT's own review centre. .. There's a couple in there. .. http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/page/towcar-reviews/_/bmw/

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition 2007 Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

Yes all the press cars were fitted with VDC but talking to the dealers they seem to sell very few with VDC. XC60 was considered but for non towing the BMW was a better option in performance, emissions etc. I may revist the Volvo before ordering.

I'm not sure but I believe the new XC60 due will have a 8 speed auto.

I test drove both and did like the M sport X3 to drive, but was less than impressed with the interior.

Take a look at out CT's own review centre. .. There's a couple in there. .. http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/page/towcar-reviews/_/bmw/

Thanks for that - didn't know it existed! Reviews seem good. Just want to know if the VDC is worth specifying really

I'm not sure but I believe the new XC60 due will have a 8 speed auto.

I test drove both and did like the M sport X3 to drive, but was less than impressed with the interior.

Fair point but driving experience is more important to me and I just felt the BMW was much better than the Volvo solo

I have a 2012 X3 3. 0D M spec with VDC. I have a caravan on order which does not arrive till March 2014 so have not yet towed with the X3, however, the car is the best car I have ever driven in terms of poise and handling on the road. The 8 speed auto box is also the best I have experienced. In the past I have driven Mercs, Volvos, Fords and Vauxhalls. I think the VDC is well worth having. I cannot see there are any downsides with having VDC on the car as a tow car. From everything I have read the auto is a must have on the X3.

I am going on a one day maneuvering course in early Feb so will have a go with the X3 then. If you have not ordered your new car by then I could give you a heads on on my experience.

Hope this helps.

Michael

Michael,

yes a big help. The 8 speed box is superb. Although not quite as smooth as my Audi A6 multitronic but we are comparing different animals really.

Do you find a big diffrence in the VDC settings?

I am 100% on the car just not on the VDC

Be careful if you get a bmw, you'll have to permanently wear shades and refuse to let anyone out in queuing traffic!

Be careful if you get a bmw, you'll have to permanently wear shades and refuse to let anyone out in queuing traffic!

I have an Audi . .. I do that already especially to poor people driving Vauxhalls B)

Yes you should get the variable suspension. The comfort setting is too soft and the rig porpoises. Consider a bigger engine as well.

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

Unfortunately can't get the larger engine I have looked at it but can't quite swing it . ... otherwise I would for sure

I have an Audi . .. I do that already especially to poor people driving Vauxhalls B)

Very funny! Fortunately the vauxhall is just the tug, just sold a clk320 and on the lookout for an ml500 or 55amg, bit rude to generalise I know but when I lived in Bristol it always seemed that the BMW attracted a certain type whilst Audi and Mercedes drivers let each other out, I had an a6 at the time. Maybe we should start a thread on car marques and their stereotypes!

Very funny! Fortunately the vauxhall is just the tug, just sold a clk320 and on the lookout for an ml500 or 55amg, bit rude to generalise I know but when I lived in Bristol it always seemed that the BMW attracted a certain type whilst Audi and Mercedes drivers let each other out, I had an a6 at the time. Maybe we should start a thread on car marques and their stereotypes!

Haha - you started it! - no offence intended.

I traded in a 2010 XC60 R Design D5 for the X3 2. 0 diesel M Sport auto (no VDC). Whilst the Volvo was a great tow car it was a lot more costly to own. The five cylinder engine was good but was very noisy, thirsty and inefficient when compared to the Beemer. Volvo also require an annual service to be carried out costing >£350! All in all I found that the Volvo was able but not built as well as the BMW also the driving experience was not as good even with the apparent power advantage.

I too would have went for the six pot engine but you have to set limits when buying and compromise engine size against things like Xenon lights and sat nav \ media packages. Anyway, I tow an Elddis Crusader with an MTPLM of 1675kgs and I can honestly say the Beemer tows far better than the Volvo. I've never tried VDC but tow in "normal" driving mode and the outfit is extremely stable at the legal limit of 60mph. If you want any more detailed information PM me or we might incur the wrath of the BMW haters (have you noticed that football supporters always boo the best players?).

Mercedes GLC 250d towing a 2015 Bailey Unicorn Valencia

Don't forget the price of the tow bar. ...I've seen quotes of over £3k for fitment on a BMW!

. .....over £1k. ......

Where did I get 3 from!!!

Edited by Caravanmedicswindon

For any additional information or advice please have a look on my website. .....

www. thecaravanmedic-swindon. co. uk

For a BMW fitted towbar (the electric slide out thingamummy) it is £800 but that doesn't include wiring for the fridge. THat costs another £150 for the parts and 3 hours labour at £125 per hour - £1325 for the tow-bar - isn't going to happen!

The dedicated wiring kit and a Westphalia detachable tow bar are around £320

I would encourage you to go for the integrated towbar. You are right that the fridge electrics is extra, but it is properly integrated into the right part of the canbus so things like the rear lights, cameras and so on turn off and on as they should do.

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

For a BMW fitted towbar (the electric slide out thingamummy) it is £800 but that doesn't include wiring for the fridge. THat costs another £150 for the parts and 3 hours labour at £125 per hour - £1325 for the tow-bar - isn't going to happen!

The dedicated wiring kit and a Westphalia detachable tow bar are around £320

I've read somewhere that a different radiator may be required and also some programming on the ECU as well? As it's a company car don't you have to fit the BMW one, when I had company cars I had to use the manufacturers supplied/fitted tow bars.

For any additional information or advice please have a look on my website. .....

www. thecaravanmedic-swindon. co. uk

Towbar for the X3 should not be too expensive - £190, even with dedicated electrics it will not be much more than this.

http://www. hedley-towbars. co. uk/bmw-x3. html

Lots of debate about additional cooling on BMW's, all that they do is fit a slightly bigger cooling fan. Most do not fit anything for towing.

BMW X6 M50D + Buccaneer Schooner 2017

There is no need for any changes to this generation of BMWs, as far as I am aware.

I've read somewhere that a different radiator may be required and also some programming on the ECU as well? As it's a company car don't you have to fit the BMW one, when I had company cars I had to use the manufacturers supplied/fitted tow bars.

This may have been an issue many years ago with the X5 but I can confirm that my X3 has no issues with temperature. BTW I also have the factory fitted electric tow bar and £800 with all the required electronic compatibility seems not too far off what I paid Volvo to fit one. For the fridge (more importantly the ATC system) it's not much work to fit the dedicated fused power supply with the battery being in the boot.

Mercedes GLC 250d towing a 2015 Bailey Unicorn Valencia

No cooling required for this model of X3. I have that in writing from BMW. One of the X5 models required cooling. I will speak to the towbar guys but as far as I am aware there is no ECU programming required if a dedicated wiring system is used.

I don't actually like the idea of an electric towbar - I can imagine being stuck on a field somewhere trying to retract the damn thing!

Do you guys who own BMWs have RFTs? Any comments?

I don't have to have a factory or OEM towbar fitted . ..... although I have to pay for it!

Edited by Happy Jack

The place I mentioned earlier fits towbars for the local BMW/Merc/Jag garages. These garages do not fit towbars themselves but sub contract to the local towbar fitting centre. They then charge a huge sum of money for the BMW/Merc/Jag owners to have the bars fitted. Better off missing out the main dealers if you can :)

BMW X6 M50D + Buccaneer Schooner 2017

If its fitted through the dealer they have to accept any problems associated with the install.

It may well be worth paying for.