Towing In Norway

We are planning to take the van to Norway in late June early July which is the peak season in Norway. I assume we will need to prebook sites but am concerned about the suitability of some roads for towing the van. Is anyone aware of any websites which will tell me whether certain routes are Ok for towing.

I'm sure there are much more recent visitors to Norway than I so will leave it to them. .......However, what sort of vehicle do you have?...If Petrol suggest that you look at the current costs via this site. ..we think we have big buck fuel here. ..you ain't seen nothing yet. .......

http://www. mytravelcost. com/Norway/gas-prices/

Enjoy. .,.be sure to pack plenty of food ( and drink!)......

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Enjoy. .,.be sure to pack plenty of food ( and drink!)......

geoff

Hi
Been planning to go to Norway for some time and hoping to go this summer so chat to Scandinavians at every opportunity. We have been told by two Swedes and one Finn within the last month that Norway Customs search for and confiscate ALL food and drink at border.
Perhaps someone on this forum has been recently and can confirm or refute this as we were wanting to take as much as we could carry but don't want to increase costs even further by loosing it all at the border crossing.
Steve

Steve (BroGoat)

travel blog - www. adventure-before-dementia. co. uk

Steve

They do seem to be very strict, might be worth having a look here http://www. visitnorway. com/uk/About-Norway/Travel-facts/Before-you-go/Customs-and-regulations/ Doesn't seem to be a very welcoming country!!!

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

Hi
Been planning to go to Norway for some time and hoping to go this summer so chat to Scandinavians at every opportunity. We have been told by two Swedes and one Finn within the last month that Norway Customs search for and confiscate ALL food and drink at border.
Perhaps someone on this forum has been recently and can confirm or refute this as we were wanting to take as much as we could carry but don't want to increase costs even further by loosing it all at the border crossing.
Steve

They didn't use to as last lot of friends that went 'Blue Nose' took gallons of UHT Milk/ Orange Cordials and freezer compartments full of meats. ........

I would start with a call to http://www. norway. org. uk and ask them. ..this is the Government Official Site in UK.

geoff

Also have a look at Mag Baz Travels, who did Norway in 2011, swapping their usual motorhome for a caravan.

Hyundai Santa Fe CRD auto + Burstner Belcanto 525 TL

http://www. oldagetraveller. net/

Also have a look at Mag Baz Travels, who did Norway in 2011, swapping their usual motorhome for a caravan.

When I asked a question about this region a year or so ago NSBJ you suggested I read this site I bookmarked it and put it on my "to do" list. I will transfer it to my "MUST DO" list immediately.

Steve

They do seem to be very strict, might be worth having a look here http://www. visitnorway. com/uk/About-Norway/Travel-facts/Before-you-go/Customs-and-regulations/ Doesn't seem to be a very welcoming country!!!

David

This site looks very useful, I have bookmarked it and will study it carefully - Thanks Geoff & David.

and sorry Chrisheg, I seem to have highjacked your post - it was not my intention.

Steve

Steve (BroGoat)

We are planning to take the van to Norway in late June early July which is the peak season in Norway. I assume we will need to prebook sites but am concerned about the suitability of some roads for towing the van. Is anyone aware of any websites which will tell me whether certain routes are Ok for towing.

We went to Norway in June 2009 for 5 weeks and went as far north as Narvic.

We did not book any camp sites and had no difficulties at all. .....some sites were virtually empty!

Norway09182a_zpsfee09936.jpg

Main roads are very good except they are prone to winter damage and are sometimes fairly uneven or repaired with a temporary gravel surface . .......these sections require you to slow down or suffer a bumpy ride!

There are a lot of tolls . .....ferry,tunnel or road. You can come across ferries or tunnels that are closed for one reason or another and this can mean a long detours.

Ferries charge by the length of your unit. ....so most Norwegians favour Camper vans.

There is a toll system around Oslo that is difficult for visitors as it automatically reads your number plate and debits your linked account . ....we avoided those toll roads.

Dipped headlights are compulsory in daylight hours . .....22 hours a day in June.

Expect Norwegians to be active at any time during June . .....the long hours of daylight after hardly any in their winter, seem to make them hyperactive.

We came across a camp site football match at 2 o'clock in the morning. .....perfectly normal apparently!!

Way up high. ........

Norway09152a_zps75ac492f.jpg

Artic Circle car park . .....there is a visitor centre!

Norway09082a_zpsaabbb227.jpg

Norway is quite an expensive country to visit but well worth it :)

Edited by Gafferbill

GBWest Sussex

If its that expensive I might as well go on a cruise to the Artic Circle and save the hassle!!!

David

David - Milton Keynes

Caravan Travels

If its that expensive I might as well go on a cruise to the Artic Circle and save the hassle!!!

David

I would agree with you there David a cruise is far better value and you see a lot more of the main sites. Problem in both Norway and Sweden is you have to travel many hundreds of miles in between places of interest.

Have done most of Norway coastline when in the RN but will still take a cruise on either Cunard or P&O who do the Fjords quite a lot. Will also do the Baltic & St Petersburg the same way. Very good value if you do last minute booking on their "Getaway" packages.

Alan J

Bailey Pageant S6 Bordeaux Tow Car BMW X5 3. 0D

Just looked up an offer I received early Dec for 10 nights on Queen Elizabeth and inside cabin was £300 pp covering Bruges, Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Gothenburg & Oslo then back to Soton on 21 Dec.

That works out a £60 per couple per night full board - you would never do that sort of distance in that time any other way.

Still love our caravan hols but do like to take opportunities to take "in between" hols to further destinations where we would never be able to tow.

Alan J

Bailey Pageant S6 Bordeaux Tow Car BMW X5 3. 0D

Yes by all means take a cruise to Norway. ......after all that is what most people do!

You will see some of the tourist sites. ........... but it will be a case of " so near and yet so far"

. ..... you will not see the real Norway and It's wondrous scenery.

David

What hassle?.... . ..for us it was a highly enjoyable adventure :)

Just looked up an offer I received early Dec for 10 nights on Queen Elizabeth and inside cabin was £300 pp covering Bruges, Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Gothenburg & Oslo then back to Soton on 21 Dec.

That works out a £60 per couple per night full board - you would never do that sort of distance in that time any other way.

Still love our caravan hols but do like to take opportunities to take "in between" hols to further destinations where we would never be able to tow.

. ......on that time scale you will get the merest glimspe of those places and see virtually nothing of Norway!

Edited by Gafferbill

GBWest Sussex

We cruise and agree that it is a 'snapshot' situation. ...but it is often very cost effective way of seeing the 'world'. cheaper than a normal hotel and five or more meals a day. .... We did Baltic & St. Petersburg in late May (white nights) and saw 8 countries in 15 nights in comfort. .........

One of my seafaring friends lives near the Nordkap and his complaint is that so many of the tourists are being fleeced by having to pay around £12 to park their cars/caravans/motor homes near the signposts. ......but if it cost £15 to visit York Minster isn't that the same thing. .........

I turned down the chance, for purely business purposes, to 'Blue Nose' some years ago but have regretted it ever since .

Now as the only driver in the family and increasing eye problems I can not see myself as a long-haul caravanner in Europe again. ..........SO if you can afford it 'chrisheg'..........do it before you are beset by problems of old age too!

geoff

My comment was slightly tongue in cheek!!! I don't think I can be accused of being unadventurous in terms of touring Europe but whilst Scandinavia does have some pull I don't think its the same pull as southern Europe, at least for me. I remember one guy, who writes a Blog, found Denmark/Sweden/Norway/Finland to be pretty boring from a motorhoming point of view and could not escape quick enough but them he much prefers to spend his time in Spain. Personally don't think I would feel that way about it as I like rugged and wild places.

Anyway could be a bit academic in 2014 as I have to have operation on my knee which might put me out of action for up to six weeks which would prevent us going on one of our usual longer trip. Knowing this was possible the reason I started to think about cruises. We have only been on one before and despite the awful weather we experienced it was rather enjoyable.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Caravan Travels

Hi,

Our plan is travel from UK via Dunkirk through Belgium, Holland, Germany, Poland, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia then ferry to Finland traveling north through Finland into Norway to Tromso. Then south through Norway or Sweden (or a mix of both) to Denmark and back to UK via Germany etc.

We hope to get a good insight to these countries not just a snapshot view as with a cruise.

While we love cruises as much as the next person they are not quite the same as going under your own steam and sorting your own itinerary.

Steve

Steve

I have to have operation on my knee

David

Hi David

Hope it goes well.

Steve

Steve (BroGoat)

Now that is a proper tour. ..........best of luck. .........take your own teabags ( especially in Latvia & Estonia).......

geoff

My son and his wife have just moved to Norway so we will have to bite the bullet and go. If we want to stay for any length of time taking the caravan seems the best option. Ferries to Ijmuiden and then from Denmark to Norway will cost just over £1000. Advised by my son that if you avoid eating out and drinking out prices are not too horrific. Bottle of Jennings Cumberland Ale just over £3 in supermarket. Fish is very reasonable. Planning to get ferry from Denmark to Stavanger and then return from Larvic to Denmark. Dont think I will join the bluenose club on this occasion.

We did consider that but the extra cost of fuel (and of course time) and the cost of two very expensive toll bridges (both ways ) means that the Denmark to Norway ferries seem the best option for us.

David

Take a Hurtigruten coastal voyage to see Norway. You are never far from the coast and the boats put-in at many small harbours or jetties to load and unload passengers, cargo and mail.

We sailed on a 14 day voyage in March 2013 from Bergen around the North Cape to Kirkenes and return. The company organise lots of related activities, both on board and on land. We paid to take part in dog sledding, visited an ice hotel, had a Viking feast, coach tours to the North Cape and around Tronheim, and attended a midnight concert in the cathedral in Tromso. King Neptune has baptised me on crossing the Arctic Circle and I have seen the Aurora Borealis on five evenings. I would not fault Hurtigruten on their organisation or the standards of comfort and care on their boats.

If we were to return to Norway in the summer season I could not imagine us thinking about taking the caravan.

Each to their own choices though.

John.

Hurtigruten looks fabulous but cost of a two week classic tour for 2 would cost £4000 plus cost of getting to Bergen plus food and drink and excursions. I can have a six week holiday with four weeks in Norway for that in the van. I know we can not "do" Norway in that time so on this occasion we will tour the South. I am sure we will return to experience different parts of Norway in different seasons.

Hurtigruten looks fabulous but cost of a two week classic tour for 2 would cost £4000 plus cost of getting to Bergen plus food and drink and excursions. I can have a six week holiday with four weeks in Norway for that in the van. I know we can not "do" Norway in that time so on this occasion we will tour the South. I am sure we will return to experience different parts of Norway in different seasons.

Chris, our Classic Winter 12 day tour cost about £4K total for the two of us. That was all-in and included flights from Edinburgh to Bergen, all meals on board (3 per day) and excursions. We took advantage of the early booking price and had a simple outside cabin. We hardly spent any money, as to be expected alcoholic drinks were very expensive, but we did each have 1 litre of spirit which we were allowed to import. Despite being on a ship we always had a mobile phone signal and free wi-fi.

All this was organised through a local travel agent who liaised with Hurtigruten and all we had to do was pay up and turn up at Edinburgh airport. As David klyne stated, no hassle at all.

However you choose to visit Norway have a wonderful holiday.

John