Lunar Clubman ---Cracks

fireman

Hi I brought my Lunar 2011 Brand new in January of that year after couple of uses went on holiday in the July on holiday I notice a big crack on the side panel were the drinks cabinet is located and the doors of the drinks cabinet did not close correctly . This was reported to my caravan Dealer who took it in and repaired it . Guess what it happened again within a couple of months crack again. Dealer repaired again Guess what both sides of the drink cabinet are cracked . also the front bed of the caravan the slats for the bed always comes off when making the bed or putting the bed away . Then we notice a crack in the shower base the firm came to fix it and told the dealer it was covered in stress fractures so would not replace the shower, also all the doors and draws come open went travelling . Now it has been recalled to Lunar for repair and was told to have there by 15 November 2013 for Lunar to pick up, Guess what still at the Dealers waiting for it to be picked up

I love my caravan and it has just the layout we require

Has anyone else had this trouble I hope not

Cheers

If the wheels aren't balanced then it may help if you get them done?

Hopefully the dealer will get things sorted for you.

A friend of ours has similar faults with his clubman, floor is dropping, and sides are bowing out, furniture is cracking, list goes on. Lunar were going to collect it on 16th Dec, but then cancelled at last minute and said it will be some time in the new year.

A friend of ours has similar faults with his clubman, floor is dropping, and sides are bowing out, furniture is cracking, list goes on. Lunar were going to collect it on 16th Dec, but then cancelled at last minute and said it will be some time in the new year.

What a shoddy approach to customer services. ..seems to be the norm' with UK caravan manufacturers .

If only japan made caravans. ..at least Toyota. ...faultless customer services in my experience.

Hi Fireman. I take it yours is the Clubman ES. I purchased mine new in March 2011 and for two years enjoyed the specification of this van. But after a trip to the west country in May this year I noticed fractures in the side panels to the drinks unit. On carrying out a survey of the caravan I can report the following.

The floor section has distorted in a downward direction from a position where the 'A' frame joins the main chassis. (check your floor with a straight edge). This has resulted in the weight of the front half of the caravan shell going down with the floor section. (appro; 15mm at the front bulk head). With the rear half of the caravan remaining true and square and the front half (approx) of the caravan loosing it's support, has resulted in the walls of the caravan bowing outwards. My caravan now being 40mm wider in the mid section than it should be. The side panels of the drinks unit being the only vertical support to the off side wall, and being of a grossly inadequate size have fractured. The near side wall having no full height support has mirrored the bow in the off side. The roof section is also sagging and the doors to the drinks cabinet now scrape the top of the unit when opening and there is no adjustment.

A warranty claim was lodged with Lunar and the van should have been collected for return to the factory by 16th December, but one week before the collection was cancelled with no future date given.

My findings were lodged prior to the above date with the agent, Lunar after sales, and Lunar CEO.

To date I have not received any reply.

Good friends of mine purchased an ES on the same day as me and this is also showing the first signs of failure. My findings were of no surprise to the agent who completed the warranty report.

Look forward to hearing from you Fireman

Are there any updates on this yet?

I have a 2012 conquest 534. This the Delta body with the clubman trim and would like to know what to look out for. I would also be interested in how Lunar deal with this.

Thanks

Hi the main problem is that the drink cabinet side panels are having big cracks at the side of it just at the level of the of the back of the seat on both sides also the doors on the draws are bowed cupboards and draws wont stop closed when traveling the front bed slats come off the the guides when making and putting the bed away and the shower base has also cracked and also lots of little details Lunar asked me to have it at the agent for November 15 2013 and the caravan is still there getting nowhere slowly . Hope to have it back sometime before the season starts love the caravan its the second one from lunar I have had no problems with the first one Lunar will not talk to me just the agent so getting information second hand and also I cant tell lunar how it has happened

Hope this wads help full and hope you have a good season caravanning this year

Cheers fireman -

I have recently moved across from motor homes where I had similar problems to you with a CI and Romahome. It is frustrating when the manufacturers won't talk directly to their customers. These things are as expensive as cars but by and large the customer service we receive is way behind the auto industry, it seems to come down to communication.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Cheers fireman -

I have recently moved across from motor homes where I had similar problems to you with a CI and Romahome. It is frustrating when the manufacturers won't talk directly to their customers. These things are as expensive as cars but by and large the customer service we receive is way behind the auto industry, it seems to come down to communication.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Good points CH, however, I don't know of any other type of complicated product, that doesn't have a manufacturer-led service organisation, even when there are middlemen, dealers, agents involved etc

Hi All

Just to keep you up to date been told today that the caravan is going back to Lunar for work to be carried out just 2 months after I was told it was going back( November 15 2013) . I hope they don't keep that long, will let you know what happens when it comes back .

That's all for now

Hi,

We bought ( new) a clubman with the side dinette ( 2011 model ) doing the washing up noticed a large scratch on the upright on the kitchen unit side of the entrance door. Got a torch as it seemed an odd place for a scratch---- it was a crack ( horizontal ) right across the upright. The rear panel on the van had cracks around the grab handle mounting holes, a deflector plate was missing from the fridge vent, letting fumes into the van. The bed slats dumped us on the floor more than once& were hard to use. The entrance door would not close properly, one had to force/lean on it to close and even then no guarantee it would stay closed. side of van was bowed by 1`/2" . We wondered if the door who's hinges were adjacent to the cracked upright had caused or at least contributed to the upright cracking. Dealer inspected it and told Lunar - Lady from lunar factory came and inspected the van, a pick up was arranged for a Sat morning ( overtime ? ) and van taken back to factory.

The van was returned to dealer and we went to pick it up, dont know if dealer's workshop expected us to just couple up and go- no chance ! opened the door to find the ( sliding ) toilet door hanging off its mountings -- Lunar had not secured it for traveling ( despite there own instructions to do so ! ) a new back had been fitted and likewise the missing deflector plate. However the entrance door had not been touched though the cracked upright had been replaced. On speaking to the workshop manager he informed us the door was "to Lunars standard " and told us we were not closing it correctly -- and gave a demonstration on how to----------- slam the door ! Wife & i winced, asked what lunars standard was for doors to be told ours was the same as other lunars, that means all lunar owners slam the door then--------------.

We took it away having accepted it ( we accepted it but wrote on all invoices we did so under protest & listed the outstanding faults ) the bed slats had not been touched ether.

On a C. L. a few days later it rained at night -- we woke to water dribbling down from the front windows--- inside !

over breakfast we decided enough was enough and returned the van -exchanged it for a Coachman ( we had to pay the V. A. T. ) did hear that Lunar set aside £2,700 per van for -er- sorting out "issues" after that-----------------

We had the van for just over ------------ 10 months ! no more Lunars for us -- they can follow Avondale.

P. S. - its strange the following year the same model was reduced in length about 12" i think -Hmmm .

Edited by david 1220

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!

Ref. comments posted by fireman and david1220.

Hopefully it, s good news that fireman,s van is now back with Lunar but with the comments posted by david 1220 can we hold out much hope of a sound caravan being returned.

The layout and spec. for this van is very good, just a pitty the shell falls apart. In my case the floor has gone down, both walls have bowed out, and the roof lining is sagging to the extent it fouls the top of the drinks cabinet.

It, s been seven months and counting since the faults were reported to the agent and Lunar, the van being collected by them 5th Jan so both mine and fireman, s are with lunar at the same time. .

There will be a very very close inspection when and if the van is returned, as I feel this van is very close to being a write off. Will keep you all posted just in case we need to cooperate

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all just a quick update caravan have is at Lunar for 3 weeks now I don't know if this is good or bad, hopefully good as we all know the season is getting close for all of us hope you all have a good year with your vans

Cheers

Sid

I'm on my first Lunar purchased last year, after 2 Baileys with no serious or structural problems. After reading the above, hope I haven't bought a lemon! It would appear from the posts that the aftersales service from Lunar is appalling, please someone tell me different!

Hi the main problem is that the drink cabinet side panels are having big cracks at the side of it just at the level of the of the back of the seat on both sides also the doors on the draws are bowed cupboards and draws wont stop closed when traveling the front bed slats come off the the guides when making and putting the bed away and the shower base has also cracked and also lots of little details Lunar asked me to have it at the agent for November 15 2013 and the caravan is still there getting nowhere slowly . Hope to have it back sometime before the season starts love the caravan its the second one from lunar I have had no problems with the first one Lunar will not talk to me just the agent so getting information second hand and also I cant tell lunar how it has happened

Hope this wads help full and hope you have a good season caravanning this year

What model year was your first Lunar out of interest? We are considering changing ours to possibly a Lunar Quasar 524 2011 model, but with all the issues mentioned above I am wondering if to stick with our 2005 model, which is finished off beautifully. We've had some awning rail water ingress but this has been repaired and we are considering having the furniture reupholstered by Bellfield this year to make the van look more 2014!

2015 Swift Challenger 530SE & 2017 VW Tiguan R-line 4Motion 2.0TDI 150BHP

I'm on my first Lunar purchased last year, after 2 Baileys with no serious or structural problems. After reading the above, hope I haven't bought a lemon! It would appear from the posts that the aftersales service from Lunar is appalling, please someone tell me different!

Hi

I found the customer service at Lunar to be excellent. When I had a problem with a gas locker door they made sure a replacement was at the dealers for fitting at the time of the annual service. My personal opinion is that dealers will blame Lunar for their incompetence or lack of customer care.

Regards

Sandy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Got my caravan back from Lunar on Feb 7th 2014 which I was pleased(BUT STILL AT DEALERS) . When I went to the dealer to pick it up I had a quick look through the windows to see what had been done draws were open which I was not happy with . We went to the reception and was met by one of the staff who seem not happy she passed us a letter from Lunar for us to read it stated that we had over loaded the draws and when they did a test run none of the draws opened strange because no one had been in the caravan after Lunar had deliver it to the dealer . The bed slats according to them worked correctly I was doing it wrong . The panels which were cracked were replaced which I am very happy with but the seat next to it on the dinette seat was raised off the floor which you could get about 4 sheets of paper under it .

The General Manger came and looked at it and he was disgusted with the work when he tried the bed slats it jammed he could not get them to go back or come out . The draws and cupboard doors he was going to fix extra clips to them hope this might cure it . I must admit he gave us HOPE that this would cured it all, he also going to check all the nuts and bolt under the caravan to make sure none are loose. I am going to France in July hope I have it back by then lol

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Fireman. SO you, ve got your van back from Lunar. My ES was in thr works at the same time as yours and for the same problems. The near side of the van still has a bow outwards but has been reduced by about half. I find this van has the same problem as a house with subsidence. The floor is distorted over the chassis bowing down at the edges causing the base furniture lo lean outwards hence fractures in the side panels of the cocktail cabinet. Time will tell if the repair will last but I will be keeping a very close eye on the situation. After all you can, t rectify subsidence by giving the walls a coat of paint.

Regards problems with the bed slats, there is insufficient clearence below the centre draw bearers and the bed slat runners. By installing a timber packing below the bearers to raise them clear of the slat channel should fix the problem. EdC