Route Through Bristol To Baltic Wharf Cc Site

We are going to Baltic Wharf CC site in a couple of weeks for the first time. We will be coming from the M4. The CC directions recommend coming in from J18 on the M5 along the A4. Via Michelin (with caravan ticked) recommends a route that follows the M32 from the M4 and then proceeds in a westerly direction going north of the harbour along the A38 and then the A4 and joins the CC route into Cumberland Road. This would be a much better/quicker route for us.

Has anyone any knowledge of this route using the M32 ? I will go onto Google Earth and check it out but it would be nice to know it's ok for towing if someone has done it before. I can also ring the wardens for advice.

Thanks in advance.

P. S. We will be arriving on Saturday early afternoon (after 12. 00 !!! :lol: )

Edited by Shirl250

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

Hi,

If you are coming from the South or North on the M5 J18 is the best. From the North the Almonsbury Interchange gets a bit busy but should be OK after Christmas. The A4 from Avonmouth is an easy and wide route. If you are coming from the M4 I would use the M32 but you will then have to cross Bristol City Centre which can be tricky.

We are going to Baltic Wharf CC site in a couple of weeks for the first time. We will be coming from the M4. The CC directions recommend coming in from J18 on the M5 along the A4. Via Michelin (with caravan ticked) recommends a route that follows the M32 from the M4 and then proceeds in a westerly direction going north of the harbour along the A38 and then the A4 and joins the CC route into Cumberland Road. This would be a much better/quicker route for us.

Has anyone any knowledge of this route using the M32 ? I will go onto Google Earth and check it out but it would be nice to know it's ok for towing if someone has done it before. I can also ring the wardens for advice.

Thanks in advance.

P. S. We will be arriving on Saturday early afternoon (after 12. 00 !!! :lol: )

Hi Shirl. If you end up coming at the Baltic Warf site with it on your left-hand side and you are towing a twin axle or a long single axle you will need a wide sweep approach,this is simply because the entrance is literally on the edge of the footpath.

The pub on the Warf does/did some really nice meals.

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

It is fine coming off the M4 onto the M32, then pick up the brown "SS Great Britain" direction signs. Here I am not able to get to the details but following those SS GB signs are the key. Just don't turn into the Museum itself!

Edit: try "doing it" using Google street view to give yourself something of a preview. Its not difficult just it tends to be busy roads and a bit of lane switching.

Edited by JTQ

It is fine coming off the M4 onto the M32, then pick up the brown "SS Great Britain" direction signs. Here I am not able to get to the details but following those SS GB signs are the key. Just don't turn into the Museum itself!

Thanks that's just what I wanted to know.

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

Leave the M4 onto the M32.

Travel all the way to the end of the M32 and turn left at the lights.

Keep going straight under the underpass and at the large roundabout turn left.

Pass Temple meads station on your left and get over to the right lane.

Cross the River and immediately turn right.

Keeping the River[new cut] on you right continue on this road through one set of lights.

You will come to the Bedminster junction where you will turn right over the river and immediately left.

Keeping the river on your left side after 400 yards you will come to a small roundabout.

Turn left,still keeping the river on your left side, you are now on Cumberland road, the CC site is in approx 600 yards on your right hand side.

Originally come from Bristol so I am totally confident with these directions

Dave formerly DaveBelcanto

Leave the M4 onto the M32.

Travel all the way to the end of the M32 and turn left at the lights.

Keep going straight under the underpass and at the large roundabout turn left.

Pass Temple meads station on your left and get over to the right lane.

Cross the River and immediately turn right.

Keeping the River[new cut] on you right continue on this road through one set of lights.

You will come to the Bedminster junction where you will turn right over the river and immediately left.

Keeping the river on your left side after 400 yards you will come to a small roundabout.

Turn left,still keeping the river on your left side, you are now on Cumberland road, the CC site is in approx 600 yards on your right hand side.

Originally come from Bristol so I am totally confident with these directions

Thanks for this. So it's ok to tow down the other end of Cumberland road. Excellent !! That also seemed to me to be the most direct route from the M32.

Cheers.

Edited by Shirl250

Thanks for this. So it's ok to tow down the other end of Cumberland road. Excellent !! That also seemed to me to be the most direct route from the M32.

Cheers.

If you are confident in towing in City traffic you will be fine.

Cumberland road is fine, from the direction you are coming from the parked cars on Cumberland road will be on you right.

You will come to a shop on your right just before a pedestrian bridge over the river. Parking will now also be on your left but it is a wide road and the club site entrance is 100 yards after this bridge.

If you are confident in towing in City traffic you will be fine.

Cumberland road is fine, from the direction you are coming from the parked cars on Cumberland road will be on you right.

You will come to a shop on your right just before a pedestrian bridge over the river. Parking will now also be on your left but it is a wide road and the club site entrance is 100 yards after this bridge.

Thank you very much.

definitely try the food in the Cottage Inn on the waterfront. lovely

Thank you. Looking forward to it.

Michelin only calculates the fuel you will use with a caravan on the back and not the best route for towing so don't be misled into thinking that ticking the caravan box will give you a different route to the one for just a car.

Kia Sorrento towing a Coachman VIP 575/4

Our blog: jennyandjohngocaravanning. wordpress. com

Michelin only calculates the fuel you will use with a caravan on the back and not the best route for towing so don't be misled into thinking that ticking the caravan box will give you a different route to the one for just a car.

I did wonder whether it made any difference. Thanks. I think it adds journey time on too doesn't ?

I always use Google Street View as a final check anyway. I've travelled quite a bit of France via Street View ! ;)

Breakfast rolls from the prince st bridge shack used to be very good as well, just a stroll up the quayside from Baltic wharf by the industrial museum. If its still there there was an excellent restaurant called Howard's on the Baltic Wharf side of the bridge that leads to hotwells

Breakfast rolls from the prince st bridge shack used to be very good as well, just a stroll up the quayside from Baltic wharf by the industrial museum. If its still there there was an excellent restaurant called Howard's on the Baltic Wharf side of the bridge that leads to hotwells

The industrial museum has had a multi million revamp and has become the museum of Bristol, covering all aspects of life and history of Bristol, free entry and well worth a visit.

The SS Great Britain, although expensive to visit is something not to be missed, a superb award winning attraction for all ages.

As regards food, plenty of outlets at harbourside as well as the aforemention shack at Prince street bridge, also the buttery, outdoor eating but excellent quality and the rock cakes are delicious.

Thanks everyone. Sounds like we'll be eating well ! We will definitely be visiting The SS Great Britain and it sounds like The Bristol Museum now too. We are there for a week so we are going to do some cycling too.

Thanks for all the info. We are really looking forward to it.

For the same journey ViaMichelin only amends the time if 'trailer' is selected with the route and fuel cost remaining the same.

The estimated fuel cost shown depends on the type of vehicle, whether petrol or diesel and the cost of fuel inserted in the appropriate boxes.

Edit: It may be coincidence. but the journey time seems to be based on the maximum legal speed involved. By selecting an all motorway trip the difference between with and without trailer is the difference between 60mph and 70 mph for the distance involved in several theoretical trips I used.

If only such constant speeds were possible! :rolleyes:

Edited by beejay

Edit: It may be coincidence. but the journey time seems to be based on the maximum legal speed involved. By selecting an all motorway trip the difference between with and without trailer is the difference between 60mph and 70 mph for the distance involved in several theoretical trips I used.

If only such constant speeds were possible! :rolleyes:

That's what I reckoned.

When we've used it from Calais to wherever when it's all motorway it's pretty spot on timewise because in France it is usually possible to do a constant 60mph. We usually arrive there or there abouts, taking into account the stops of course. But never earlier !

Edited by Shirl250