Jeep Cherokee

PhilLees

Guys,

I've decided it's time to move up to a 4x4 for towing with.

We currently tow with a 2. 0dci Renault laguna tourer which does a fantastic job at towing, until you get to a wet grassed cs/cl site like we did on boxing day. We did manage to get the van into position but only after making a bit of a mess of the grass. This is our first year at towing all year round so never had the need for a 4x4 until now.

With this being our first 4x4 and not sure how we'll get on with them, I've decided to buy a tidy cheapish one that will tow well but not loose too much value if after a season or two we decide to sell it on.

So, does anyone have any experience with this Jeep or the Grand Cherokee ?

Cheers,

Phil.

Motor movers are very good at getting caravans off wet sites ;)

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Cheers Paul, hadn't thought of that. Cheaper too I suppose.

Phil.

Just thinking Paul, the jockey wheel sank 4 inch into the grass un hitched. how does a motor mover cope with that ?

Edited by PhilLees

Motor movers are very good at getting caravans off wet sites ;)

Not in my experience on rally fields!

geoff

However, I owned 4 Cherokees, one after another, the first two were the 'classic' style and were 'real' jeeps, although I had aircon and gearbox troubles with both, the new body style I did 47000 in one year in the first and it was a half decent car but pricey on fuel as they had not got the new engine sorted. .......I was offered a great deal on an updated model and it blew the engine in 8000 miles. ...Steyr Puch provided a new half engine via Chrysler Italy and I ran this for another two years. .....by which time things started to go wrong and the parts and labour costs were mounting up. ......]

They were nice cars to drive and never left me stuck. ....but my cost experience was too high. .....I have run my Rexton for 112000 miles now with only routine replacements. ...

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Cheers Paul, hadn't thought of that. Cheaper too I suppose.

Phil.

Just thinking Paul, the jockey wheel sank 4 inch into the grass un hitched. how does a motor mover cope with that ?

I have a pneumatic jockey wheel & this helps, but if the site is bad I reverse the caravan until its on hard ground

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

My Cherokee will pull a house down, an absolutely brilliant towing machine. This year I towed down to the Vendee - easy peasy! Taking it steady on the motorways, I achieved about 25mpg towing. The car, an automatic, can be a bit thirsty around town, especially when only doing a couple of miles in the winter. In a year, my only breakdown has been a siezed air con pump. I made life a little easier for myself by fitting a Winterhof 3000 stabiliser on my caravan because the spare wheel can be a bit inconvenient. I've had two, a manual and an auto and the auto is the way to go.

A Fiat Doblo camper and a Lunar Ariva 2019
grace my drive.

I ran a 2007 Grand Cherokee for 5 year doing 90000 miles in it.

As its American, it is mainly proven (old) technology with a lot of bits borrowed from Mercedes.

It pulled our 1500 Kg Pegasus with no bother at all and with the low ratio gearbox could pull or push it anywhere.

They are not the most economical of vehicles (mine had to go as my employer decided to replace the fuel cards with a fuel allowance of 15p a mile!) but to quote the advert they do exactly what it says on the tin.

If you have any specific questions please ask.

Mike

VW Touareg 3. 0L V6 262 R Line with a Unicorn IV Segovia trying to keep up!

Jeep Grand Cherokee's I am on to my second having put 185K on the last one with nothing unexpected requiring attention. Our present one is 20K short of the first but I know that it will pass that figure with ease. I have in the past had the Land Rover bug but IMHO value for money the Jeep wins hands down. You may find that the Grand is a cheaper buy than the smaller Cherokee. My friend who tows with a Cherokee Sport gets about the same MPG but I have more space in the grand and a little more luxury. I would not change from the Jeep brand, as far as towing goes they are once again IMHO the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I owned and ran a Cherokee for 2 years doing 50k - it was thirsty, things broke often and getting the dealer to put things right was hard.

I have not bought another Jeep.

My Father in law had a Grand Cherokee for 8 years doing 100k - persistent problems that were never sorted, thirsty and old suspension technology gave it a strange rolling motion when driving.

He hasn't bought another Jeep.

2020 Swift Eccles 650 towed by Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 4.4

"What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger!"

They are not the most economical of vehicles (mine had to go as my employer decided to replace the fuel cards with a fuel allowance of 15p a mile!)

Mike

Hi Mike, do you own the car, or is it provided by the company?

If you own the car you should search Mileage Allowance Payments (MAP's) on the HMRC website http://www. hmrc. gov. uk/payerti/exb/a-z/m/mileage-expenses. htm#x1 basically if you use your own car for company business, you can claim back from HMRC the difference between the pence per mile your company pays and the government published pence per mile for your vehicle.

This is called Mileage Allowance Relief (MAR)

I had a 2. 8CRD Cherokee 2006 for a couple of years.

It was comfortable and a good towcar.

But it is an old school 4x4 so it handles like a truck and sounds like one too. It was expensive to run, service and repair.

One thing to mention, the Jeep Cherokee KJ manual does not have a center diff so you either have RWD or have a locked up 4X4 system that can only be used on very poor traction surfaces and must be put back in RWD as soon as you are on a surface with traction.

The Auto version has a full center diff and you can select to be in RWD, AWD with open center diff for all surfaces or AWD with center diff locked.

Cheers

Lee

Edited by logiclee

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

Not in my experience on rally fields!

geoff

However, I owned 4 Cherokees, one after another, the first two were the 'classic' style and were 'real' jeeps, although I had aircon and gearbox troubles with both, the new body style I did 47000 in one year in the first and it was a half decent car but pricey on fuel as they had not got the new engine sorted. .......I was offered a great deal on an updated model and it blew the engine in 8000 miles. ...Steyr Puch provided a new half engine via Chrysler Italy and I ran this for another two years. .....by which time things started to go wrong and the parts and labour costs were mounting up. ......]

They were nice cars to drive and never left me stuck. ....but my cost experience was too high. .....I have run my Rexton for 112000 miles now with only routine replacements. ...

geoff

I find the mover very good over wet grass, I don't know if that's what you call a rally field, but I use CLs mainly and always take the van to the car using the mover.

Guys,

I've decided it's time to move up to a 4x4 for towing with.

We currently tow with a 2. 0dci Renault laguna tourer which does a fantastic job at towing, until you get to a wet grassed cs/cl site like we did on boxing day. We did manage to get the van into position but only after making a bit of a mess of the grass. This is our first year at towing all year round so never had the need for a 4x4 until now.

With this being our first 4x4 and not sure how we'll get on with them, I've decided to buy a tidy cheapish one that will tow well but not loose too much value if after a season or two we decide to sell it on.

So, does anyone have any experience with this Jeep or the Grand Cherokee ?

Cheers,

Phil.

Personally I think you're going from one extreme to another.

Xtrails are very good of road, I've had two and never had a problem towing off wet grass, and they use a lot less fuel that the large heavy 4x4.

I find the mover very good over wet grass, I don't know if that's what you call a rally field, but I use CLs mainly and always take the van to the car using the mover.

Rarely use the mover on a field at all until trying to avoid a tree or a badly parked caravan. .....but have had experience of towing off people where they thought that their mover would cope ( usually with a solid jockey wheel)....

Xtrailman. ..would tend to agree, rally a lot with EYCC and many of their members are in the 'well happy x-trail' fraternity. ..

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Hi Mike, do you own the car, or is it provided by the company?

If you own the car you should search Mileage Allowance Payments (MAP's) on the HMRC website http://www. hmrc. gov. uk/payerti/exb/a-z/m/mileage-expenses. htm#x1 basically if you use your own car for company business, you can claim back from HMRC the difference between the pence per mile your company pays and the government published pence per mile for your vehicle.

This is called Mileage Allowance Relief (MAR)

Hi Steve

The car was mine and we get a car allowance as well so the fuel card only covered fuel on the companies behalf.

However to break even on 15p a mile you need a car which averages over 40 to the gallon and the jeep never got over 25, hence the reason it had to go.

If you can afford it the 2005+ Grand Cherokee is a Mercedes ML320 with a different body built in Austria. This has a rock solid engine and transmission and although a 3LR V6 Merc engine I found it have better fuel return than the Cherokee 2. 8crd with the Detroit diesel engine.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Wow, cheers for all your replies guys.

I have considered a grand Cherokee but was wondering if I'd be asking for trouble with all the gadgets on them with me buying a few years old.

It has been nice to read some positive notes on the Cherokee as I've read plenty of negative posts elsewhere.

As for an X-trail, no thanks.

Phil.

Edited by PhilLees

Wow, cheers for all your replies guys.

I have considered a grand Cherokee but was wondering if I'd be asking for trouble with all the gadgets on them with me buying a few years old.

It has been nice to read some positive notes on the Cherokee as I've read plenty of negative posts elsewhere.

As for an X-trail, no thanks.

Phil.

Phil

Whilst the GC is well speced most of the gadgets are stand alone. The sat nav is an alpine unit which if it fails can be replaced with an aftermarket unit from eBay etc.

That said the only issues I had with mine was the pressure sending tyre valves (which when they went outside the warranty I bought online and got the local tyre fitter to change) and a couple of other odds and sods which jeep dealt with.

My only observation would be to try and get one with a full jeep service history as changing all the oils on a regular basis is a must.

I would have another one other than my employers car allowance scheme is totally emissions based now making it unaffordable.

Mike

One of the things that irritated me about my Jeep (Cherokee CRD Limited 2005) was the rear door mounted spare wheel for 2 reasons, it prevents the use of auto car washes, and it makes coupling up the 'van more difficult. Apart from this, I did 75,000 miles of absolutely trouble free motoring over the 8 years I owned it from new. I had 1 set of brakes, 1 battery, and scheduled servicing.

The Sport models are not so well equipped and do not have selectable full time 4wd, and the 3. 7 petrol models are thirsty. Jeep dealer service is pricey, and availability of some spares is not too good, but non-dealer servicing is perfectly adequate. Would I buy another? Yes, but the Grand Cherokee is better and has oodles of boot space too.

Ern

Cheers Mike.

I'll take a look at a Grand now then, I've got a couple of garages local to me with those in.

Phil.

Check they start alright from cold as the glow plugs go after abit. I think mine where on their way out just before I offloaded it (as it's been exported to Zimbabwe it should not be a problem to its new owner!).

Also check when selecting drive that it engages straight away. Apparently if the gearbox oil is low or not regularly changed it can be slow to select and it drops in with a clunk when you hit the gas to try and move off.

Mike

Also if you are test driving a 2. 8CRD Auto check there's no judder or vibration at 60mph+ when on power.

This was a common problem and indicates the lock up clutch is slipping. All 2. 8CRD should have had the f37 recall to correct this issue.

Cheers

Lee

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

I ran a 57 plate 2. 8 CRD KJ from new up to the middle of last year. Total of 80k miles, first set of tyres at 38k, second at 70k! 1 set of rear discs (tend to rust) 1 set of glowplugs and 4 erg valves, although these were all replaced under warranty even though the car was outside of warranty for the last one. Towed our twin axle without problem, I had the auto with the centre diff, essential in my opinion. As i commuted 30 mile each way to work had it re-mapped, this increased the mpg from 25 to 28 on a run and from 21 to 23 around town. Towing 1800kg was 23mpg. To get over the hitching problem with the spare wheel and the ALKO stabiliser, just remove the bolt securing the red handle, this allows it to be removed whilst hitching and just used to lock down after. As we rally all year round it was well tested as a 4x4 and never let me down.

I changed it last year and it was very difficult to decide on its replacement, we will always have fond memories of this car.

Christmas rally 2010

CIMG4986_zps8cd37cec.jpg

There is a recall for the rear chassis member, but no other major issues that I know of. I would recomend the 2. 8crd which comes with a factory set 163bhp this can be re-mapped up to just under the 200 mark!