Recommendations South Of Mojacar

We're looking to move from Marjal site at Costa Blanca in the new year and begin wandering about a bit. I'm looking for somewhere between Mojacar and Almeria that's not too large (certainly not as big as Marjal) but offers a local (walking distance) village and a beach not too far away.

Looked at Los Escullos, Las Negras and Cabo de Gata, but reviews have tended to put me off.

Any suggestions?

Eric

But what if the hokey cokey really is what it's all about?

No easy answer to that because as far as I know those are the only three sites between Mojacar and Almeria. Las Negras is in a nice little valley, good beach but a bit of a hike to the village, which is a beautiful village when you get there. Los Escullos is close to a good beach, has a reasonable campsite shop and restaurant, but is miles from anywhere. Cabo de Gata is closer to civilisation, but is a much bigger site.

How about stopping just short of Mojacar, at Las Palomas, Cuevas Mar. It might well fit the bill. After a week or so there you can go on to Pino at Torrox Costa, or head inland for Orgiva, Granada then Cordoba.

Hyundai Santa Fe CRD auto + Burstner Belcanto 525 TL

http://www. oldagetraveller. net/

I agree with John. Cuevas Mar is ideal we stayed there for several winters,as do lots of brits,& dutch.

5 mins walk to the sea. Plenty of bars,restaurants nearby. Large supermarket 5 mins away in the car.

Market every sunday in villaricos 10 min walk away.(2 hrs if you stop at one of the bars en route)

The lovely little seaside resort of Garrucha 15 min by car. Fresh fish landed daily. 20 min to Mojacar. :D :D

van Bessacar 625 towed by Mercedes M class 3. 2 cdi.

we do 6mths at home (winter) 6mths touring (summer)

Retired & loving it.--------- :D Adventure before Dementia. :P

Cabo de Gata has a mixed population of mainly 70+ occupants who winter or all-year there. ........from what I hear from friends who reside there a 'not a lot happens' place. ............however, that may suit you??

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

And it gets very windy in the winter,with wind coming off the snow covered mountains.

van Bessacar 625 towed by Mercedes M class 3. 2 cdi.

we do 6mths at home (winter) 6mths touring (summer)

Retired & loving it.--------- :D Adventure before Dementia. :P

Cabo de Gata has a mixed population of mainly 70+ occupants who winter or all-year there. ........from what I hear from friends who reside there a 'not a lot happens' place. ............however, that may suit you??

geoff

As a 70+ chappie who had a month at Cabo some while ago, I can say that the " occupants " as described are pretty friendly, keep the local bodegas in good business and seem reasonably active. My problem, when we went in October were the flies which made eating outside almost impossible.

Bessacarr Cameo 525 towed by SsangYong Rexton 2.2 auto in Brown.

As a 70+ chappie who had a month at Cabo some while ago, I can say that the " occupants " as described are pretty friendly, keep the local bodegas in good business and seem reasonably active. My problem, when we went in October were the flies which made eating outside almost impossible.

I wouldn't be too put off by the flies issue. We regularly go to the Costa del Sol in the early Autumn and the flies certainly were really bad there last year too. According to everyone we talked to,the numbers were exceptional and we have certainly never experienced such a plague in previous years.

If you can put up with a FEW flies it's usually OK.