Delta Ti Heating Question?

Durbanite

Our Delta is a 2011 model and we have noticed that during the winter the heating seems to work very unevenly. We have noticed that in front by the bunks you have heating coming out behind the ventilation board at the top end by the door and then again at the bottom end of the bunk. At the bottom end there is no ventilation board and subsequently the seat cushion gets very hot. This means it takes longer from the front of the caravan to warm up.

The other issue is if you have a cold wind blowing, a lot of cold air seems to blow in from under the chest of drawers. It is not very pleasant sitting in the front with ice cold air blowing in around your feet. As a result we never used the caravan in the winter.

Does any one else with a Lunar have issues with the way the heating has been installed in their Lunar Delta and also the cold air blowing in around your feet?

The heat at the front comes in to the cabin at the window sill level, you will feel the heat coming in. On the door side of the van the 'rad' is under the seat nearer the door. On the opposite side of the van it is nearer the front windows behind the seat. There are also 'rads' at the bulkhead and the bottom of the bed and beside the head board. Obviously the radiator in the bathroom is self explanatory. You can shut the valve as this is plumbed in parallel and doesn't stop the flow of heating fluid. We find our van very comfortable in the coldest of days once up to temperature. If you lift the seats and look under you can see some of the 'rads' which are just corrugated aluminium over the pipes.

Thanks. Our concern is the heating right at the front which warms up the seat as the heat cannot escape into the atmosphere. In the other areas of the bunk there are what I think they call condensation boards which allow hot air to raise through the gap. No such gap at the the front of our caravan where the seat meets the front sill area.

Hi, we are in Scotland at the moment in the Delta. It takes a bit of time for the heating to warm up and yes, it gets quite warm at the front where the cushions seem to prevent the heat from getting into the van. The cushions are lovely and warm though.

It's been gale force winds up here for the last day or so (quite interesting towing up over tebay / penrith) and the wind seems to suck the heat out of the van through the floor vents.

Even with the outside temp at 7c, the 1kw setting can't quite get the van to 20c in the wind, 2kw works fine and it warms up nicely, but with a 10a ehu, I'm drawing about 11a amp according to my OWL monitor and expecting the mcb to trip any minute

Edited by discodunc

You can purchase and fit a load monitor, this allows you to use the van as normal without tripping the electric. I cuts back on the ALDE boiler on electric to save overloading the power supply and it returns to the original setting on the boiler when the other power sources are reduced.

3010-246 17 LOAD MONITOR

Hi, we are in Scotland at the moment in the Delta. It takes a bit of time for the heating to warm up and yes, it gets quite warm at the front where the cushions seem to prevent the heat from getting into the van. The cushions are lovely and warm though.

It's been gale force winds up here for the last day or so (quite interesting towing up over tebay / penrith) and the wind seems to suck the heat out of the van through the floor vents.

Even with the outside temp at 7c, the 1kw setting can't quite get the van to 20c in the wind, 2kw works fine and it warms up nicely, but with a 10a ehu, I'm drawing about 11a amp according to my OWL monitor and expecting the mcb to trip any minute

Thanks. It was pointed out to me that if you keep heating cloth eventually after a few years the cloth will crumble. It may also have a detrimental effect on the foam inside. BTW do you get that draught around your feet if the wind is blowing outside?

As this is supposed to be the last caravan we will ever buy as we are retired, we would like it to last at least 10 years without any major concerns. In the meantime we would like things to work as they are supposed to work. :)

Thanks B12

Re the draught, we don't get a draught around our feet but we do have a Couple of reallyuseful boxes under the seats which I think stops the draught a bit. When it's cold, the cupboard under the drinks cupboard acts as a good fridge to keep the reserve beer cool.

It's been pouring with rain, windy and 5c here for the last 48hrs. Van is a toasty 22c and I'm sat her in a t-shirt

Can I assume that your Delta TI is not a 2011 model? I think it may be better to stuff a pillow into the gap under the chest of drawers to stop the draught when we eventually get back our caravan from the dealer. :D

No, ours is a 2011 model

The space under the drawers is stuffed with the dogs bits and pieces, and bed, so perhaps that's why we don't notice a draught. The dog hasn't complained yet.

Edited by discodunc

No, ours is a 2011 model

The space under the drawers is stuffed with the dogs bits and pieces, and bed, so perhaps that's why we don't notice a draught. The dog hasn't complained yet.

Thanks. At least i know we are not the only one complaining about a draught around the feet.

Is it possible to retrofit backboards?

We never use gas so the floor vents are covered, the gas is isolated at the gas cylinder so its 100% safe, assuming the gas locker is sealed from the living quarters and well vented.

On the unicorn the front chest has a vent in the top for the heating, but to be honest I've covered the heat exchanger there because it could get the drawers hot, we have no cold draughts on our feet up front, the only two floor vents up front are the one under the alde pump, and the one under the charger, both we leave open, but the one under the cooker we cover as it makes a very cold draught in that area.

In summer and storage all floor covers are removed.

Edited by xtrailman

It would be easy to retrofit condensation back boards

They are just a thin piece of plywood mounted on some small Woden batons