Oh Dear !

rinty

Coming home from church on Christmas Eve my beloved Mazda CX7 'died' about a mile from home.

It started making what I would describe as a loud 'tapping' sound (related to engine speed) and within about 400 yards while freewheeling to a stop the engine stopped completely.

It has been slow to start for a couple of months (taking a couple of turns before firing) - I put this down to dirty fuel filter, lazy battery or dodgy glow plugs - to be examined during next service.

A warining light came on during the breakdown that I have never seen before but the manual states is a warning to indicate water in the fuel filter??

Left the car under tow to the local dealer today- no word yet but am fearing the worst.

All in all disappointing in a car that is just less than 4 years old with full dealer service history.

My pesimistic nature is fearing the worst!

330d with a Challenger following!

You ignore the fact the car has a fault(s) for couple of months then moan when it conks out. No sympathy here Water in the filter in a modern diesel can spell death to pump and injectors. I`ve known bills of £2500 to fix.

Gem Caravans (Fife) Ltd.

ALL MAKES SERVICING AND REPAIRS

BAILEY TRANSIENT WARRANTY, LUNAR AND COACHMAN WARRANTY

www. gemcaravancare.co.uk 07803 922945

WORKSHOP NOW OPEN

A breakdown is never good, a breakdown just after Christmas then the coffers have been depleted is worse, a breakdown which is engine related. ... Usually expensive! :-(

Caravanless. ...

You ignore the fact the car has a fault(s) for couple of months then moan when it conks out. No sympathy here Water in the filter in a modern diesel can spell death to pump and injectors. I`ve known bills of £2500 to fix.

Merry Christmas to you too!

Merry Christmas to you too!

Thank you very much.

Gem Caravans (Fife) Ltd.

ALL MAKES SERVICING AND REPAIRS

BAILEY TRANSIENT WARRANTY, LUNAR AND COACHMAN WARRANTY

www. gemcaravancare.co.uk 07803 922945

WORKSHOP NOW OPEN

Bit harsh Dougie when the chaps had a bit of bad luck.

Truth be known most of us have put things off at this time of year.

Defender 90  cruising along with a Coachman Laser 640/4.  :)

It's possible your car is fine, contaminated diesel was supposed to be only in the NE but it appears to be more widespread. My freelander suffered the same fault.

Fingers crossed new fuel filter and on your way.

Dougie - it was just a bit slow to start - by that I mean the engine may have had to turn over twice or max three times before firing. As i wrote - it felt a bit like a battery which was 'on its way out'. It didnt feel bad enough to even warrant an extraordinary trip to the dealers.

Time will tell?

Sounds like injector problems brought on by the water in the fuel.

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

You have my sympathy.

A few days before christmas both my car and my combi boiler broke. Never a good time of year for unexpected bills.

Just beginning our adventure. 95% of my time on CT I use my phone. As a result correct spelling and grammer will be used sparingly. This is due to fat fingers. Please don't let it bother you.

does sound like water in fuel,you tend to get a knock from injectors. new fuel filter and crack off injectors of water. job done

thanks all - called at the dealers today - car hasnt moved from yesterday morning. I appreciate that they have to book work in but you would think that there would be a little 'slack' in the system to accommodate 'unexpected's'

thanks all - called at the dealers today - car hasnt moved from yesterday morning. I appreciate that they have to book work in but you would think that there would be a little 'slack' in the system to accommodate 'unexpected's'

A little slack as you call it means somebody standing around with nothing to do.

Having a little slack is the reason so many British companies went to the wall in Mrs Thatcher time.

Idle hands means loss of profit, loss of profit means loss of jobs.

2015 SorentoKX2 pulling a 2011 Sterling Eccles Moonstone

Good dealers do. .......

They allow emergency hours into their workshop diaries but its seems to be getting harder to do in this economic atmosphere and then its all down to a good workshop controller or foreman. Emergency hours return good CS and customer retention. If you have a problem with a product and its turned around quickly, it tends to leave less of a bitter taste. Most vehicle manufactures have a customer charter that promises a fast turn around in the event of a breakdown and usually offer a courtesy car.

Hopefully like already mentioned, its a small repair (fuel filter and the likes) but expect the worst and anything else is a bonus.

Best of luck.

Edited by Gaz40

Agree with Gaz - not so much with Steve. All about prioritising of rsources - good dealers can do it for customers that have bought a car from them and continue to enjoy their big service bills. guess it would have been nice if they had even taken a look. In fairness as screenman notes, they did tell me that they were operating on skeleton staff.

Frustrating, lets hope its just fuel related, the battery could also be tired, working harder in winter always throws up lots of battery problems.

Had a couple of Mazda cars and have great respect for the reliability of Mazda.

Agree with Gaz - not so much with Steve. All about prioritising of rsources - good dealers can do it for customers that have bought a car from them and continue to enjoy their big service bills. guess it would have been nice if they had even taken a look. In fairness as screenman notes, they did tell me that they were operating on skeleton staff.

As someone who owned a Garage for 25 years, I can assure you that you cannot have skilled tradesmen hanging around waiting for work to just turn up. As wages are around £600 a week, every hour has to be chargeable as much as possible.

If your car was booked in for maintenance or repair and you came to collect it at the agreed time, only to be told that your car was not ready because the mechanic was put on a job that just turned up. I am sure you would be full of understanding and goodwill to all men. Garage owners try to accommodate people as much as they can, but,I am afraid first come, first served.

The good workshops do try, not always successfully, to have "fill-in" work and don't schedule jobs for 100% of their time - this gives them slack to accomodate urgent unbooked work without have staff idle if no urgent work turns up.

But like most businesses, most workshops will be running skeleton staff last week and next. Mechanics like Christmas and Hogmanay every bit as much as their customers!

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

As someone who owned a Garage for 25 years, I can assure you that you cannot have skilled tradesmen hanging around waiting for work to just turn up. As wages are around £600 a week, every hour has to be chargeable as much as possible.

If your car was booked in for maintenance or repair and you came to collect it at the agreed time, only to be told that your car was not ready because the mechanic was put on a job that just turned up. I am sure you would be full of understanding and goodwill to all men. Garage owners try to accommodate people as much as they can, but,I am afraid first come, first served.

I fully understand your post but I didn't mention customers just turning up, what was mentioned were breakdowns and the allocation of emergency hours. Most breakdowns can be turned around quickly (Not all breakdowns are major repairs)

What happens if your technicians find additional work during a service, is your day that fully booked that you have to re-book your customer for addition work, such as brakes lining etc. .

Like I say a good workshop controller or foreman should be able to at least quickly access the problem. What happens if the cars not looked at for a week and it turns out to be a blocked filter, or on the other hand a major repair is required and parts needs to be ordered and the repair dropped into the diary. (You’ve lost a week or more) There a defined art in good workshop loading.

I fully understand your post but I didn't mention customers just turning up, what was mentioned were breakdowns and the allocation of emergency hours. Most breakdowns can be turned around quickly (Not all breakdowns are major repairs)

What happens if your technicians find additional work during a service, is your day that fully booked that you have to re-book your customer for addition work, such as brakes lining etc. .

Like I say a good workshop controller or foreman should be able to at least quickly access the problem. What happens if the cars not looked at for a week and it turns out to be a blocked filter, or on the other hand a major repair is required and parts needs to be ordered and the repair dropped into the diary. (You’ve lost a week or more) There a defined art in good workshop loading.

If a breakdown is not work that just turns up I don't know what is. As to what happens if additional work is found during a routine service, then most times the work would have to be rebooked. I ran a successful business for over 25 years employing 6 fully trained mechanics and a reception engineer who are still working for the new owner, so I must have been doing something right. A major repair would have first been assessed by the reception engineer and the parts required ordered as necessary.

There are only so many hours in a day and to be perfectly honest,in this age of rip off merchants, good honest traders are always in demand.

customers are easier to find than good qualified staff. Staff who like everybody else expect to be treated properly and have time off to be with their families at this time of year.

I think we’re talking about immobilised vehicles through breakdown of a component, not someone turning up for a service or their interior light as stopped working.

If you have a loyal customer that's uses you for all their servicing and repairs and perhaps purchased the vehicle from you. Then when they turn up with their broken-down, immobilised recovered vehicle, will you not attempt to look at it until your next available date for assessment, fine if you can offer a courtesy car but that will be at a cost to someone and whether its a service, general repair or breakdown, they are all paid hours.

Some garages rely on breakdowns, due to general servicing being at longer intervals and with some owners servicing their own cars (usually out of warranty)

Not understanding the customers needs and a loyal one, equals to less profits in the loss of customer retention and if your rebooking brake work found on a service when the car is already on a ramp with wheels down, surely that's less productive and with the awkward return for a customer. Dealers attached to manufactures increase their customer satisfaction by reducing customer returns, like I’ve already said, manufactures usually offer a customer charter of set hours turnaround of a breakdown.

Isn't it at least worth checking the basics on a recovered vehicle, mind you hopefully the on road recovery agent would have checked, or would they ?

There's nothing much more I can say if you think customers are easier to find than good staff. Perhaps you need to look at staff retention as well.

All the best in the new year.

Edited by Gaz40