Just Got First Seasonal,what Do You Have,need And What Do I?

philavan

hi all,just got a seasonal pitch(very happy as have tryed for 2 years on this site)near harrogate.

what do you have in your set up?what will i need in my set up?do i leave awning up all the time or only when there?(can be a bit windy so on the edge of cousion)

also is it me or dose the thought of finishing work on a friday and going straight for a megger mixgrill and leaving again on a monday morn(although early) seem like a good life???

sounds good to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

all coments welcome (even the sad ones!) B)B) B) B)

staying the night in a caravan,what more do we want from life? :rolleyes: apart from 365 days a year off!!!!

Sounds good to me esp near Harrogate. Nice town, lovely area. If you're working it has to be brill. Finish work, drive there and that's it. No pitching or messing. And when you have a week or a fortnight you can hook it up and go touring.

Bradcot make an awning aimed at seasonal pitchers. It's very strong but I wouldn't fancy it up tonight it's blowing a hooley.

Isuzu D Max pulling Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

Bailey Autograph 740 MH: Isuzu for sale LOL

Sounds good to me esp near Harrogate. Nice town, lovely area. If you're working it has to be brill. Finish work, drive there and that's it. No pitching or messing. And when you have a week or a fortnight you can hook it up and go touring.

Bradcot make an awning aimed at seasonal pitchers. It's very strong but I wouldn't fancy it up tonight it's blowing a hooley.

with you on that,thanks for the reply,happy vanning. ;)

staying the night in a caravan,what more do we want from life? :rolleyes: apart from 365 days a year off!!!!

Hi

Well done getting a seasonal pitch. Most are like rocking horse droppings. We have been seasonal for 10 years and use the van every weekend and as many weeks as we can in between. We call ours our country retreat. You will find over time you will duplicate most of the items you use at home in the van. As to the awning our site only allows it to be up permanent for march to October. Other months only when you are in residence. Enjoy we do

Terry.

Lunar Delta RS, Ford Explorer. Ford Ranger

A decent awning is a must if your going to leave it up. our season neighbour has recently got a bradcot residencia and its stood up to the winds just as well as our Penta. 6-7 awnings have come down over the last week. all 3 pentas on site are still up and they are by far the sturdiest due to the shape.

one thing to think about is if like us, your planning cane style furniture IF you do need to take he awning down quickly for some reason you need to be able to store or remove it. visiting site today has made us aware of this even more as a few people now have furniture outside under what is left of their awnings.

(our site is yearly not seasonal)

Edited by clairendave

A seemingly problem free 2010 model Adria Altea 542dk that has more than its fair share of use.

Enjoy the seasonal pitch as much as possible, if you have water and waste plumbed in then its even better.

There are things you wont need anymore but others that you will, the list usually grows as you find you don't have to haul everything around with you lol.

totally agree with clairndave above. we have used a penta since 2010 on and off and they are fantastic due to their structure etc.

Allways look good and stand up to everything thrown at it so far.

Invest in a Isabella and it will last you years.

I will have mine up for sale in the new year as a change of circumstances forces its sale but I will be very sad to see it go and thoroughly recommend them to anyone who is staying for a couple of weeks or more, far too heavy for touring but sturdy construction enough for seasonal.

Shazjag, Hubby, 2 Kids, Swift Challenger 590SE 2014,

Mercedes Ml 280cdi SE Bristol

We are on our 3rd year now of been seasonal an we love it, its taken away the stress for me as i did not like towing but loved my van! We have 3 kids so we pack a few bits an were off! Even if we had not planned it we can be at the site in an hour so sometimes will just got over for the night, our site is open 10 months so really get full use of the van most of the year. We have our awning up March to Oct, currently have a Dorema but will definately upgrade to an isabella when finances allow! Hope you really enjoy your pitch as much as we do

We've always been seasonal as I don't drive and OH hasn't for years. It's the only way we can caravan and it's great.

On site we always leave the awning up during the March - October as that's the season. Most of the time it's been fine although in the past we've had the odd call if there's been bad weather to say it's coming down and once our neighbours took ours down to secure it one night as it was starting to come down so we went up the following day and fixed it.

Make sure you peg every peg and invest in some storm straps also. I'd never used them in the past but when I did use them not one more incident with a falling down awning!

This year though i'm done with awning as had enough of them flapping about in the wind and actually seen how this year it's been particularly windy and the sealant along the awning rail was a bit damaged. It's no longer a necessity as the kids are up a bit. It was in the days of bulky toys, buggies etc we had to have an awning but now they're past that stage so went to a porch awning until the end of last season.

We have a gazebo at the caravan. Cant leave that up obviously but it's just for when our friends come up in the camper so we've got a "livingroom" if you like rather than pile into the camper / caravan unless the weather turns really bad.

I love the fact that you can just walk in your caravan and everything's in place. Just collect water and stick the kettle on after plugging in the cable!

I see people taking ages to set up, plus taking their caravans out the storage and getting them all packed and prepared for going away . Suppose that's all part of it but we just like to go to our "second home" as often as we can which is the majority of weekends. Taking advantage as my Husband's not working just now so making the most.

Some folk wonder why we don't get bored going to the same place which isn't particularly far away. We have been on different sites but it's just a change of scenery and peace! I work from home so tend to feel a bit hemmed in and need to get out!

As to what you'll need I think it just depends on the individual. We just have a basic site with toilets, showers and a tap! I don't bother with water etc in the caravan, just collect it in a bottle and use it as we need.

As said you do double up. I see something in the shops and think "that's nice i'll get one for the house, one for the caravan!" :D

Compass Shadow 1988

A decent awning is a must if your going to leave it up. our season neighbour has recently got a bradcot residencia and its stood up to the winds just as well as our Penta. 6-7 awnings have come down over the last week. all 3 pentas on site are still up and they are by far the sturdiest due to the shape.

one thing to think about is if like us, your planning cane style furniture IF you do need to take he awning down quickly for some reason you need to be able to store or remove it. visiting site today has made us aware of this even more as a few people now have furniture outside under what is left of their awnings.

(our site is yearly not seasonal)

We are allowed to have a plastic store shed at the side of our van, our furniture is hardwood patio set which can be folded and stored in the shed. We also have a wood decking for the floor of our awning which means my awning is screwed down to the decking, no wind is going to move that. For our winter awning we have a 390 type which I have D hooks screwed to the decking and spring clips on the pegging ladders takes about 10 minutes to put up and take down.

Terry.

Lunar Delta RS, Ford Explorer. Ford Ranger

Congratulations on getting your seasonal pitch, I'm sure you'll love it. We're about to start our 5th year on our second site. It is great being able to jump in the car after work on Friday, head off to the caravan ( we're about an hour away ) and not have any setting up to do when you arrive, just turn on the water and electric and your done! It's been great for the wife and kids as I 've been doing shift work for years and she could just take them away at the weekends when I was working, luckily I've just retired at Christmas so I'm looking forward to next year more than ever. As others have said, invest in a good all season awning and secure it down well, use extra roof poles and uprights, and a storm strap or 2, jubilee clips around the clamps to stop them slipping in wind is another good idea. I would agree about the cane furniture as well as it doesn't rot or get affected by rain if you have to leave it outside. It's also true that you tend to double up on a lot of the things you have at home, when we moved about 5 miles from our previous site to where we are now it was literally like move house!

Thanks to all of you that have replied,i can't wait to start going there and i hope its a realy good year weather wise like last year!congrats sonrich on your new holiday entitelment 365 days a year sounds nice to me ;)

happy vaning to all in 2014 and a safe kind year to all :D