Towing Capacity

georgeriley

sorry guys if this has been posted before but here we go i have a Nissan Note 1. 5 diesel towing capacity of a rubbish 900 kg the guy at the caravan shop says capacity can be changed is this true?.Thanks

Some caravan salesmen will saying anything to secure a sale. I'd suggest you find another dealer.

We fight not for glory, nor for wealth nor honours . ..

but only and alone we fight for freedom,

which no good man surrenders but with his life.

Some caravan salesmen will saying anything to secure a sale. I'd suggest you find another dealer.

Edit: sorry wrong post

Edited by beejay

. ......... or a different tow car?.........

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

It may have been in reference to changing the caravan towing weight. I have only known of increasing to capacity not reducing and don't know how that would work maybe a van plate of just ex-works with no load? Cannot see it myself.

I worked with someone who towed a folding caravan for years, he was very happy with it, especially towing as it was virtually a low trailer.

Shame on the salesman for being a Jerk.

I would suggest you look for the type and style of van you could live with and use for at least 5 years and then get a car that is capable of towing it.

H.

Finding things funny since 1968 :blink:

Maybe like these?

But still too heavy.

H.

Yesteryear topic on same thing here http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/37636-lightweight-caravantowcar-combination/

Edited by Honk

If it's just as a first tow to get it somewhere, why not ask a friend with a bigger car to help out?

H.

It may have been in reference to changing the caravan towing weight. I have only known of increasing to capacity not reducing and don't know how that would work maybe a van plate of just ex-works with no load? Cannot see it myself.

How would changing the caravan plated weight make any difference? - if that's what you meant

Hi, I was thinking when the sales guy said about 'the capacity can be changed' maybe he was referring to the caravan not the car.

The last Elddis we had the weight upgrade. When I handed the van in i give the old 'lower' plate saying don't know why anyone would want it. But he did point out the obvious someone with a smaller car may want the maximum to be lower.

As I say cannot see how this would help George. If that is what the sales was meaning.

Hi, I was thinking when the sales guy said about 'the capacity can be changed' maybe he was referring to the caravan not the car.

The last Elddis we had the weight upgrade. When I handed the van in i give the old 'lower' plate saying don't know why anyone would want it. But he did point out the obvious someone with a smaller car may want the maximum to be lower.

As I say cannot see how this would help George. If that is what the sales was meaning.

Apart from B licence towing where a plated weight might need to be lowered to conform to the 3500 max MAM rule then why would the salesman think that changing the plated weight would make any difference in reference to the towing capacity of the vehicle?

Legally the plated weight can be higher than a vehicle towing capacity so I am not sure why he was saying it

towing capacity refers to the actual weight being towed so adjusting the plated MAM of any trailer would make no difference to that

My guess would be that the salesman is listening to an internet myth doing the rounds where some numpties are stating that the towing capacity must be able to cope with the MAM of a trailer !