Towing Today!

PaulR

I would not normally post this but, checking the BBC traffic report I see the A66 is closed due to a overturned caravan. Looking at a local weather station I see the wind was recorded at 109mph on Gt Dunn Fell. For any one who does not know the A66 is a trans pennine route high and very exposed. How to get caravaners a bad name, even with other enthusiasts!

I'm almost speechless!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

kind of a strange statement unless of course you know the owner and his plans and why they were there.

A seemingly problem free 2010 model Adria Altea 542dk that has more than its fair share of use.

The unfortunate lady or gentlemen may have had some pressing reason for travelling on the A66 today, but speaking for myself there is no way I'd be towing across the top of the pennines in the current weather. I appreciate that people want to stick to their plans but sometimes discretion is the better part of valour. Taking a different route or delaying their journey would have avoided huge inconvenience to themselves, other travellers and the emergency services.

We fight not for glory, nor for wealth nor honours . ..

but only and alone we fight for freedom,

which no good man surrenders but with his life.

We came across m62 and up the m6 on Christmas eve added an hr to our journey but no way would we have come across on the a66

I agree Lizzy - never use the A66 even when calm cos it can be so windy.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Even at low levels here in Brum it has been very windy

Hyundai Terracan pulling a Burstner Trecento 530 easily
I thought I saw a light at the end of the tunnel, but it was somone with a torch

Hi

I wonder when the accident occurred. My local radio station warns that the snow gates are closed on the A66 to prevent traffic taking this rout because of the high winds.

Sandy

HIGH winds caused a caravan to overturn on to its roof on the A66, at Brough, on Friday.

The caravan was being towed by a Toyota Hiace people carrier, driven by a man from Darlington, when the accident occurred just after 1-30pm on the westbound carriageway.

Some 50ft of the central reservation barrier was extensively damaged and the road was left partially blocked until 3-43pm.

Traffic was diverted on to the A685 slip road at Brough and back on to the A66.

This was from the Cumbria & Westmoreland Herald. ..........it had been closed during night as well. .....I don't live too far from Scotch Corner and winds here have not been less than about 60 mph all day. ..and gusty with it. ........No I wouldnt have left our village.

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

There could have been no "pressing reason" to travel across the A66 when there had been specific warnings all day that "high sided vehicles and caravans should keep off the roads" in the north today.

Not only has the driver endangered himself and any other passengers in his vehicle, but put others at risk, and used up the valuable resource of the emergency services.

Selfish and stupid.

IF someone has not travelled the route before is there anything to indicate its not very suitable to use during windy conditions?

A seemingly problem free 2010 model Adria Altea 542dk that has more than its fair share of use.

It's a real shame. I feel very sorry for him. Horrid experience esp at this time of year. I'm on a site near York and for 24!hours we've been shaken like a cocktail. I'd be scared stiff to tow in it. Caravans due here today have sensibly not arrived.

Isuzu D Max pulling Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

Bailey Autograph 740 MH: Isuzu for sale LOL

IF someone has not travelled the route before is there anything to indicate its not very suitable to use during windy conditions?

I cannot recall any perminant signs but it's temporary signs and always reported on the radio as closed to high sided during high winds as it was from 6am this morning. As this driver obviously ignored the police signs will he/she be prosecuted?

As sensitive as i am to Highlandmans comments nothing would have persuaded me to tow today, i would have made arrangements to store the caravan and return if I absolutely needed to be somewhere else.

Risking my life and my wife . .. just not worth it.

Today is just wild. As a general note to anyone out of the area the A69 is a much lower route that does not suffer wind and snow as much as the A66.

There are some signs at Scotch Corner but as this road is one of the bleakest moor roads in England with almost no habitation, and which is usually the first to shut with snow it doesn't really need any. .......The Police are very quick is closing it and offering, where possible diversions. .......I have been forced to use the A1(M) via Newcastle more than once during bad weather. ..or the A69 as suggested above. ...

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

I have towed over the A66 quite a few times admittedly not during the winter months never had a problem. If its windy just take it easy.

David

Nissan X-Trail Adventura KIA Sorento & Elddis Affinity 554

The A66 has snow poles on both sides (to tell depth of snow in deep drifts) and snow fences on the N carriageway. I agree the A69 is 'lower' but not built to the same standard as the A66.

And. ..... westmorland with only one 'e' please!

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

"As sensitive as i am to Highlandmans comments nothing would have persuaded me to tow today, i would have made arrangements to store the caravan and return if I absolutely needed to be somewhere else."

I was trying to be diplomatic and avoid saying what I really think Paul.

There are times when it's fair enough to "Keep Calm and Carry On" but in my opinion today was not one of those times. Since the man comes from Darlington he should be fully aware of what the A66 is like. .

Edited by Highlandman

I would not normally post this but, checking the BBC traffic report I see the A66 is closed due to a overturned caravan. Looking at a local weather station I see the wind was recorded at 109mph on Gt Dunn Fell. For any one who does not know the A66 is a trans pennine route high and very exposed. How to get caravaners a bad name, even with other enthusiasts!

I'm almost speechless!

Hi Paul. This final sentence of yours is a very unfair and unsubstantiated statement.

The A66 is indeed a regularly used East to West route across the upper Northern parts of the country.

Whilst is is a very open an little populated region of the North of England it is nevertheless a beautiful drive in nice weather but can be very very quickly not a good idea. I had been a regular user both solo and towing during the 80',90's and the early part of 2000.

It can change very quickly at certain times of the year from do-able with caution and moderated speed to NOT A CHANCE.

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

I have towed over the A66 quite a few times admittedly not during the winter months never had a problem. If its windy just take it easy.

Trust me a ride over in the fine weather is lovely nice views etc, in the winter. . I always carried snow chains, shovel, change of clothes, toilet bag etc when travelling for work. One morning 165 cars and vans stuck. Treat this route with respect check before travelling, many have come to grief without need.

Hi router, you say (Hi Paul. This final sentence of yours is a very unfair and unsubstantiated statement) i assume you mean unsubstantiated, the warnings of been closed were from at least 6am this accident was 1. 30pm, I don't think I was unfair its not that things had changed half way over.

My previous post yes I too use the route all times of the year. It is very nice even in winter the views are specular.

All the cross-pennine routes should be treated with respect in my opinion. At one time I lived in Sheffield and commuted to Manchester for work over the A57 Snake Pass. It was not at all uncommon to find the A57 closed and I'd have to divert via the M62 and M1 to get home.

Hi Highlandman, yes I'm familiar with that route as well, again views are lovely but can be a tinker in bad weather. I recall no phone signal at the pub. Well on 3 anyway.

It's a real shame. I feel very sorry for him. Horrid experience esp at this time of year. I'm on a site near York and for 24!hours we've been shaken like a cocktail. I'd be scared stiff to tow in it. Caravans due here today have sensibly not arrived.

Youll be in a minority of 1 there then. The Roy Beans have got him hung drawn and quartered, and Im sure they know the full circumstances around the event.

For whatever reason this guy towed his van, he has paid the ultimate price for his folly. THAT in itself, is castigation enough without people not knowing the full circumstances hanging him out to dry,.

Not everyone listens to the radio, I know I very rarely do. Im not making excuses for him, but I think he has by now realised the error he made.

I think my Guardian Angel Drinks.

Doesn't matter if we do not know the personnel circumstances of the incident. If the van had flipped whilst you were overtaking and put you off the road killing a loved one, would certain individuals be so forgiving ? Being a Darlow man he obviously knew the risks on the 66 and my guess is we are nearly home so lets "go for it . ..." Sod the conditions and sod the fellow road users he is endangering. ... Any road during high Winds is dangerous have been involved on the aftermath in more than one occasion. ...... Simply Stop and Stay Safe . ...........

GAS . ........ :angry:

Edited by Grumpy Auld Smeesh

"to be auld and wise you must first be young and daft "