Parking Heater

Tandem Man

I am thinking of specifying a factory fitted parking heater on a new tow car,I always fancied a warmer car on cold mornings.

Has anyone got one and couuld pass an opinion on them.

It would be for a VW Passat if it makes any difference.

Ian

I have one on my VW Touareg, fantastic piece of kit.

Warms the car and defrosts the screen before I get in. Remote control works from a remarkable distance so you can warm your car as you try to remember where you left it.

Thanks for your replies.

Shipbuilder,what does the VW parking heater use for fuel.

Does it plug into the mains electricity or does it use the cars/its own battery or does it use the vehicles diesel ??

Ian

In general, there's 3 different fuel sources for pre-heaters - one uses the vehicle's own diesel - another uses a separate diesel tank which can use ordinary road diesel or red diesel - most after-market ones use mains electricity.

In addition some cars have 12v PTC ceramic heaters built into their heater system but these only operate one the engine is started.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

Thanks for your replies.

Shipbuilder,what does the VW parking heater use for fuel.

Does it plug into the mains electricity or does it use the cars/its own battery or does it use the vehicles diesel ??

B

Ian

The heater is fully self contained and does not need an electrical supply, it draws diesel from the main tank and burns it in a small heater under the front wing, the cars electronics operate an inbuilt pump to circulate the heated water and switch on the cabin heater fans to heat the car and demist the windscreen. On the Touareg if you specify the parking heater you automatically get a larger 100 litre diesle tank. I have not done any experiments to check how much fuel is burnt but judging by the mpg I am getting any fuel used in preheating is more than offset by having the engine prewarmed before you drive away. You will not be disappointed.

Hope the new one is better than the early webasto heaters in the vw tourans. People thought the car was on fire with the amount of smoke it used to generate. Did heat the van quicker though!!

Standard fit on mine, uses the diesel from the main tank and power from the battery to drive fans and igniter.

Great to get into a de-iced and warm car.

Ian

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2015 Buccaneer Cruiser.

I installed a eberspacher in my landcruiser a few years ago its on a seven day programmable timer

and is great for early starts in the winter .

All warm and clear windows when you come out the front door and a lot cheaper than idling a 4. 2 ltr engine to keep your self warm

Land Rovers have the Webasto park heater as described by IanV8.

It can be programmed to come on at pre-set times, or optionally be switched on by remote control. It runs for about 20 minutes.

However, it needs a decent charge in the battery otherwise the battery management system will switch the heater off to conserve some power to start the engine.

Edited by onewheelonmywagon

Land Rover is now back towing.