Help - Water Pump.

fleetgold

I have an Avondale Eagle which has an internal water pump. I regularly have problems when I fill the water container and return the hose to the water. It will appear for a while that all is ok but then the water starts to splutter and then I get no more water and although I can hear the pump operate it fails to draw in any water. I then go through a period of messing around with the hose, trying with the pump on and pump off and with an open tap and a closed tap until finally it starts to work properly and usually I have no further problem until I next go to refill the water, although occasionally like this morning I have the same problem which might have been caused by the cold morning.

What am I doing wrong? Would it make a difference if I switched the pump off before disconnecting the water or might I have either a pump or filter problem?

Joan
Take the rough with the smooth
Elddis Supreme 540 with Kia Sedona.

It sounds like you may have a partial blocked filter, before the pump.

For a test either take off the filter that you place in the aqua roll, and then try the taps, or there is probably an inline filter before the pump which may be blocked.

Lift up the cushions and follow the pipe work from the point wher the water comes into the caravan to the pump. The filter could be obvious, and look like a block fitted just before the pump or it could be inside the pipes.

Switch off the main electric, easiest and safest way is to un plug the cable from the hook up, then turn the main switch off in the van.

Get some towels to soak up the small amount of water that will come out of the pipes, leave a tap open, then take the incoming pipe work apart. If you remove the filter you will need to back flush to get out any debris that maybe blocking it. Look at which way the water enters the filter and put it under a tap, with the water flowing in the opposite way, this should flush it out.

Rebuild the pipe work and prime up the normal way.

Let us know how you get along. Hopefully someone with the same van will be along shortly and will be able to tell you exactly where the filters are.

Merry crimbo!

I only changed to a 'van with an internal pump this year, and found it tended to stop pumping when there was plenty of water left. I eventually found that the end of the connecting pipe to the aquaroll was actually floating and therefore not drawing water.

After a discussion with a few friends at rallies about this and possible solutions, what I did was get a new piece of the corrugated waste pipe, slit it along its length, and slid it over the flexible intake pipe.

That holds it nearly straight (still has a curve from how it was supplied off of a coil), and more importantly keeps it, more or less, to the bottom of the aquaroll.

Problem solved, maybe you have a similar problem.

Ssangyong Korando Sports SX / Adria Altea 472DS Eden

possibility 1:

It could be the two 'o' rings where the pipe connects to the caravan. I have to replace mine every 3 years or so.

possibility 2:

There could be some dirt in the flap valve in the pump head. It happens from time to time.

After a discussion with a few friends at rallies about this and possible solutions, what I did was get a new piece of the corrugated waste pipe, slit it along its length, and slid it over the flexible intake pipe. That holds it nearly straight

These are also available from caravan dealers to do the same job, if you have an onboard pump and not a submersible one. It's a rigid pipe that holds the flexible inlet hose close to the Aquaroll base in the same was as the suggested 'split' waste hose.

Aquaroll - rigid pipe.jpg

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I will have to wait until I get home and have the van serviced as I don't feel capable of taking the pipes to pieces whilst I am here.

I don't think the problem is the connecting pipe floating, the problem happens when the aqua roll is full and the pipe definitely goes down below the water but it is worth remembering for when the water is going down the aqua roll.

Joan
Take the rough with the smooth
Elddis Supreme 540 with Kia Sedona.

I only changed to a 'van with an internal pump this year, and found it tended to stop pumping when there was plenty of water left. I eventually found that the end of the connecting pipe to the aquaroll was actually floating and therefore not drawing water.

After a discussion with a few friends at rallies about this and possible solutions, what I did was get a new piece of the corrugated waste pipe, slit it along its length, and slid it over the flexible intake pipe.

That holds it nearly straight (still has a curve from how it was supplied off of a coil), and more importantly keeps it, more or less, to the bottom of the aquaroll.

Problem solved, maybe you have a similar problem.

I did the same with a split length of overflow pipe. It keeps the pipe straight and stops the end from floating up. Problem solved.

If you have a Truma filter at under a tenner for a replacement and 2 minutes to fit, it has to be worth a try.

It might be a bit stiff to undo though, might need large pliers to get it started.

http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/like/151133949223?hlpht=true&ops=true&viphx=1&lpid=95&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3. 0. 0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=95

I have an Avondale Argente with an internal pump and have the same problem when 1st connecting water on a site - after pipes have been drained out (although don't often have the issue between top ups).

I think it is an airlock in the pipe. The way I get around it is to lift the end of the pipe up in air and pour water into it from a jug. Once the pipe is full I knock on the window and the wife turns on the pump and I quickly submerge the pipe into the aquaroll.

This works every time - although I occasionally have a problem with the wife ignoring me!

Edited by backerley

possibility 1:

It could be the two 'o' rings where the pipe connects to the caravan. I have to replace mine every 3 years or so.

possibility 2:

There could be some dirt in the flap valve in the pump head. It happens from time to time.

I had problems with an in-board pump (Whale) on Bailey Indiana, like you this is my first experience of in-board pumps. Replaced both 'O' rings (50p each, I got a few spares too) in the socket fitting on the side of the van and it works perfectly although it does require 'bleeding' when first setting up.

These are also available from caravan dealers to do the same job, if you have an onboard pump and not a submersible one. It's a rigid pipe that holds the flexible inlet hose close to the Aquaroll base in the same was as the suggested 'split' waste hose.

attachicon.gifAquaroll - rigid pipe. jpg

Gordon.

I'll be getting one of those.

Other tips:

When not in use lay the pick-up pipe flat so its not curled up. I hang mine up so its weight naturally pulls it straight.

Replace the filter on the end of the pickup pipe, if its a Whale filter they are around £10 at a dealer- bit cheaper off ebay.

If there is a second filter by the pump clean that too, wont do any harm and rules out a possible cause.

Switch the pump off when you swap/fill Aquarolls.

Unicorn IV Cartagena 2019my | Mercedes-Benz GLE350d (W166)

Senator Series 6 Indiana Now sold