Anti Snake Devices

nutrunner

hi all whats your views on anti snake devises, ive got a bulldog 400 but not used it yet

liverpool fc- boxing and fishing- camping

I have the Alko 3000 (I think) on the hitch and this brakes onto the ball to resist sway.

Seems to work for me. I assume the Bulldog is the blade type tbat goes back to the car.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

The bulldog stabiliser is a decent stabiliser if you have it set correctly, the hitch type are ok too but I've found the hitch to be more convenient.

They both work well with a correctly matched outfit where the caravan is correctly loaded & driven sensibly.

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

. ................ran with both the original Scott-Haley and Bulldogs for many a year and never had a problem with them. ..did have problems twice without them though!........now like most have a braked Al-ko or Winterhoff system and yes they are more convenient.

Have seen someone very recently who had an Al-Ko hitch head and a blade type as well. ...........belt and two braces perhaps!

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

im getting the plate put on behind the ball plate tomorrow but will not be using the van till easter

. ................ran with both the original Scott-Haley and Bulldogs for many a year and never had a problem with them. ..did have problems twice without them though!........now like most have a braked Al-ko or Winterhoff system and yes they are more convenient.

Have seen someone very recently who had an Al-Ko hitch head and a blade type as well. ...........belt and two braces perhaps!

geoff

A blade type stabliser should never be combined with a hitch type one as the two acting together increase the resistance in the joint between car and caravan to a level not taken into account in the car manufacturer's design and development activities. It could therefore lead to premature failure of the car's underbody sheet metal structure.

If there is a desire for 'belt and braces' protection, then a frictional stabiliser may be combined with an electronic one, as these do not increase the loads imparted throught the towbar.

Yes Lutz I agree. .....what I didn't say was that he had a blade on either side. ........so 2 stabilizer bars and a hitch. .....and I didn't mention he was Dutch either!

geoff

Well lets see.

Blade type.

Used it for years-and years creaking and groaning along.

Massive heavy unwieldy.

Kneel down on the wet grass-mud etc grunt and moan get my knuckles skinned.

Heave away bending the spring leave some flesh on the locking bracket.

Tight bend leaving the caravan park.

BANG

The blasted spring has come off!!

Alko friction ball hitch.

Hitch up.

Spin friction pads in.

Push locking handle down.

We are on our way.

After the usual winding up the jockey wheel connecting the electrics and engaging the over run brake-for the pedants.

Your choice of course :D.

I am disabled so I would have major difficulties with the old blade system.

I really liked the very simple locking security pin in my "obsolescent Alko friction hitch lock.

The newer massive ball hitch cover is a step backwards.

does the blade type have trouble with tight bends and corners ?

Personally I can't fault the ATC on our van. Really works too. Also alko hitch makes a massive difference

the first thing to say is that no stabiliser will make you 100% proof against snaking. It is no good loading the van badly or driving badly and expecting a stabiliser to compensate.

Do they work? No one really knows because most evidence is anecdotal. The only way to be sure is to have two identically loaded vans put in identical situations and the one without a stabiliser snakes and the other doesn't. Lab research by Bath University suggests they do make a difference. Can't find the research so no more details.

So why do so many people use them. Because we think "why take the risk of not using one"

poolebob

Honda CRV Diesel Petrol & No caravan now. :angry:

That's a good posting Poolebob and it raises an important point in my opinion :goodpost:

Stabilisers, (whether of the blade type or the hitch type), don't actually prevent the onset of a snake. Ironically they may make a snake more dangerous because they actually delay the onset of a snake until a higher speed is reached.

Trailer control systems such as Al-Ko ATC do actively limit the development of a snake because they apply the trailer brakes when a sway begins to develop and in addition to slowing the outfit they also increase the tension between the towcar and the caravan.

The only way to prevent a snake, in my opinion, is to have a well matched outfit, a correctly loaded caravan within its MTPLM and to drive the outfit at a sensible speed, which in most cases means no more than approximately 60 mph.

If the caravan does begin to sway never, ever try to accellerate through it - always ease off the power and slow down gently.

We fight not for glory, nor for wealth nor honours . ..

but only and alone we fight for freedom,

which no good man surrenders but with his life.

does the blade type have trouble with tight bends and corners ?

No. ......the only problem used to be when reversing if you took too tight a line it could get rather too close to the 'van in the jack-knife position. ......

You must remember that unti,l say, 10 years ago that was the only system available and many many thousands were sold. ..

I had a 1994 Corniche similar to yours and never ever had problems with it.

geoff

nutrunner

In my experience there is little difficulty with the blade coming out of the bracket on the caravan chassis.

EXCEPT

When its raining and the ground is muddy underfoot.

That is the time when the caravan exit from the caravan site is an acute bend.

The spring slides out the bracket with a resounding bang.

Then its a wet and muddy experience with everyone backed up behind you!

Never had a problem once on the open road.

im glad of that five star, i was getting a bit concerned about using it but expect ill be sound come easter i havnt towed for a few yrs now but like riding a bike i shouldnt have forgotten

The blade type is fine if you are fit.

You must have an old van my previous 92 Elddis Typhoon had a friction head type coupling.

Far superior to my 2007 Swift Challenger.

Why?

All I needed to do to lock the hitch was to fit the locking pin and turn the key.

Took seconds.

Now I need to fit this massive pile of scrap

http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/GENUINE-ALKO-HITCHLOCK-FITS-AKS2004-AKS3004-Part-Number-1285810-/200803809095

It is fiddly to fit and can be awkward if you are in a hurry.

I am told its very easy to remove without the key.

Thank goodness for insurance!

The best stabiliser I ever had was trapezium, years ago, made by a company called euro tech in Sutton in Ashfield, Nottinghamshire. It was a hefty bit of kit sat on the tow bar flange with a bar that sat in a bracket on the caravan a frame. Very very effective and even made reversing easier as it slowed down the turning of the caravan. Wish they still made them, absolutely brilliant design.

2020 VW Touareg R line towing 2019 VIP 565 with powertouch mover.