Loire Valley Suggestions

Hi all, its that time of year again when Im looking to book our family holiday. Im relatively new to touring in France but quite fancy a week in the Loire Valley.

Ive got a 10 and 13 year old so a decent pool is a must and any other suggestions for things to see and do would be great. .......were going in August and sailing Plymouth to Roscoff.

Many thanks

Phil

If you want a good pool complex, lake, fishing, and plenty of activities, then take a look at Les Alicourts, at Pierrefitte in the Sologne - the quieter end of the Loire. Their website gives details of the site, and the possible excursions from the campsite to the variety of attractions in the area.

We have been to www. val-fleuri. fr with are boys, 6&8 so they are a bit younger, when you pay for camping all things in the park are free. This site is very french we were the only Brits most of the time. We drive from Calais in about 5/6hr with breaks.

Sprite Quattro dd Volvo xc60

My suggestion for the Loire would be and this only my opinion, give it a miss. I have been visiting France for over 30 years and it is the one area I have not bothered to think about returning to. The scenery is similar to the more boring parts of the UK and unless you are keen on visiting the stately homes and I don't think the children will find them that exciting, I cant see what else there is on offer.

David

Various vans 78-2019,  currently  Hobby Excellent 540 FU and Mercedes E220 CDI Estate

www. caravan-europe. co. uk

We enjoyed our stay at the municipal at Amboise a couple of years go very much - and we only went to one chateau, to attend a musical concert. There are some lovely wildlife areas close by the river (the Brenne and Solange in particular), the Loire à Vélo makes for excellent traffic-free cycling and the whole area is relaxing and beautiful. You only have to go a couple of miles to get away from the crowds.

I must say that up until then I'd seen the Loire only as an obstacle to getting further south but that trip changed my mind.

Ian.
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Auto / 2005 Bailey Pageant Vendée; 1952 Norton ES2

I would be inclined to agree with David in Cheshire on this one. The Loire scenery is very English, as is the weather. If you are not into history or châteaux, then give it a miss for now. There are so many areas of France which would be far better with the kids in tow. Save the Loire valley for when the kids are older, and can appreciate the châteaux and the wine. Like Ian, we have had some excellent holidays on the Loire, but not with the kids!

Hyundai Santa Fe CRD auto + Burstner Belcanto 525 TL

http://www. oldagetraveller. net/

Was at the castel site in Saumur (L'Etang de la Breche) this year - great facilities and huge pitches. Saumur is a nice town with a good market and restaurants

Also nice little site at Chambord (the huge chateau) - site is called Chateau des Marais.

Other posters are correct in that the scenery is nothing special but its still lovel

330d with a Challenger following!