Running Pump

Emmajon

Before servicing the water pumped worked fine. Now it doesn't. We took the van out for the Easter weekend onto a site with no hook up and set up as usual. I went home to fetch hubby - who couldn't get off work early and as we sat in the evening in the van I noticed that the red pump light was on. On further inspection (opening window and listening through howling wind - and the constant hum of the inverter that was running the tv) we could hear the pump calling for water. It had been running probably since I set it up - 4 hours :o . Battery gage was looking lower than usually and so we disconnected the pump and started again. Still light would not go out. We checked for leaks - there were none. The water level in the barrel was not dropping - the pump just kept running. Day two we turned it off unless we wanted to run a tap :unsure: Out came the case with all the technical stuff in it - read through info on pump and water system and hubby adjusted a white switch inside the van to a different setting until we found the pump stayed off. Why has this adjustment become necessary and is this likely to happen again. We feel fortunate that we haven't damaged the pump with it calling all afternoon and that the battery still had enough juice in it to see us through the week end. Typically, we were not on a site with facilities. Does anyone know if this sounds like a faulty pump or what else. It has made me wary the next we go out I can imagine seeing myself popping in and out to see if the red light is on or straining my ear to see if I can hear the pump calling for water. Any ideas anyone? :blink:

Emma

We find our pressure switch needs adjusting depending on whether we are on mains or battery as the rate of flow will be different - more so if the battery is running low so further adjustment may be necessary again. As long as you don't run the pump dry it wont damage it in anyway.

Steve

Fiat Rimor Europeo 69P Motorhome

It sounds like your water system works on a pressure switch. The pump keeps running until the pressure has been raised enough to switch the pump off. If you are using lots of electric, lights going, etc there is less power to get the pump up to speed to deliver the required pressure - you'll notice it more when you are off hook up and just relying on your battery.

All you need to do is adjust the pressure switch but you may need to do this a number of times during your stay. When you are on mains hook up there will always be enough power to get the pump up to pressure.

My mate has the same type water system fitted and he has a solar panel. What he finds is that as the power in the battery goes up and down during the day he is continually having to adjust the pressure switch.

We came up with a mad idea that just might work to solve this problem and need an electrical expert to guide us on our way. What we reckon is that if we put a voltage regulator in the pump circuit we could limit the voltage to 12 volts and it wouldn't matter what the battery is doing. The only problem that I can see is that the pump takes quite a current when running and would quickly fry one of the lesser regulators. Would part number UJ56L found on the maplins website be up to the job and how big a heat sink would we need?

We had the problem of the pump running and couldn't find out why --- until we found a leak under the sink on the pipe going to the tap. . This was enough to lower the pressure so that the pump "thought" the tap was open. ..

Had to have the sink out to fix the leak. .

But got it sorted -- although this WAS on holiday in France !!!!!!

Volvo S60 D5 (now sold 😥) new Vauxall soon
Happy to meet, Sorry to part, Happy to meet again
48 Year Member of The Caravan Club

Before servicing the water pumped worked fine. Now it doesn't. We took the van out for the Easter weekend onto a site with no hook up and set up as usual. I went home to fetch hubby - who couldn't get off work early and as we sat in the evening in the van I noticed that the red pump light was on. On further inspection (opening window and listening through howling wind - and the constant hum of the inverter that was running the tv) we could hear the pump calling for water. It had been running probably since I set it up - 4 hours :o . Battery gage was looking lower than usually and so we disconnected the pump and started again. Still light would not go out. We checked for leaks - there were none. The water level in the barrel was not dropping - the pump just kept running. Day two we turned it off unless we wanted to run a tap :unsure: Out came the case with all the technical stuff in it - read through info on pump and water system and hubby adjusted a white switch inside the van to a different setting until we found the pump stayed off. Why has this adjustment become necessary and is this likely to happen again. We feel fortunate that we haven't damaged the pump with it calling all afternoon and that the battery still had enough juice in it to see us through the week end. Typically, we were not on a site with facilities. Does anyone know if this sounds like a faulty pump or what else. It has made me wary the next we go out I can imagine seeing myself popping in and out to see if the red light is on or straining my ear to see if I can hear the pump calling for water. Any ideas anyone? :blink:

Emma

Hi Emma,

Dare I say, it sounds like you need one of my Pump Saver devices which turns off the pump if it runs for more than a preset time.

Follow this link to Pump Saver

All is explained there.

Bob R

Edited by bobren55

Guest mr_sheens

the pressure switch is voltage sensative as other have commented on. if the battery is getting low the pressure switch will need adjusting which is regular maintenance. and then when you go back on to mains hook up and the charger is on, you will need to set it again. at a service we always set the pressure switch with the mains and charger on. there is no problem, it is quite normal.

the pressure switch is voltage sensative as other have commented on. if the battery is getting low the pressure switch will need adjusting which is regular maintenance. and then when you go back on to mains hook up and the charger is on, you will need to set it again. at a service we always set the pressure switch with the mains and charger on. there is no problem, it is quite normal.

I was concered that the pump did not turn off as quick on battery as on EHU, that answers the question,

Thanks

Ian.

After a couple of trips in the Louisiana following our holidays in the previous Bailey (Auvergne) I'd have to say that the 8 litres per minute rated onboard pump is absolutely the way to go & probably not much of a mod either as all of the wiring is aready there plus you can use the existing submersible pump hose as yourr feed from the aquaroll (etc). the noise of the pump is to us an inconsequence - at least you know when (& it doesn't unless the tank runs dry :lol: ) keeps running! :)

JL