Converting Bailey Awning Light To Led

At the moment I have my caravan at home and today whilst sat in there I decided it would be a good time to convert the awning light to LED and remove the 21w load of the standard light. I have already converted the rest of the van. Sooooooooo:-

ol1.jpg

I took measurements off the standard fitting.

ol2.jpg

Using my favourite CAD program Autocad I drew up a suitable backplate.

ol3.jpg

I'm fortunate enough to have a laser cutter at my disposal, I cut out a suitable piece of Acrylic, engraving the surface for the layout of the stick on LED strips.

ol4.jpg

Heres the first stick on strip in place, they come in 15 metre lengths, they can be cut down every 3 LED's

ol5.jpg

Heres the finished panel, 30 LED's in total

ol6.jpg

Testing, ***** thats bright!

ol7.jpg

And only taking 0. 5 amps, about 25% of what the normal bulb took and way, way more light.

ol8.jpg

Even on an overcast day it's bright.

ol9.jpg

But at night it's incredible.

All in all, cheap and simple to do using the existing fitting, no mods needed just slot the panel in. If anyone wants the drawing or some laser cut bits, give me a call.

John

Very Nice Job. Those stick on LEDs are very handy and cheap as chips on ebay. I've converted a number of things with them. Not as proffessional as that though

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

Nice job, they look like 5630 LED's ? - Super bright.

I would check the heat output by leaving it on for a few hours personally as I have had these strips get fairly hot, especially when running off hookup rather than battery.

Edited by dreadly

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

Nice neat job! I did mine with two 48 smd panels back to back but the hardest part was making a bracket to stck them to.

I ran it on my bench PSU at 14. 5v for a couple of hours and it was just warm, it ran for a good 4 hours last night on the van on EHU, I do have a stabilised supply on the van for all of the lighting. I'm amazed at the light output for the current, staggering.

J

Nice job B)

Ford Kuga Powershift AWD. Bailey Senator Indiana Series 6

Now thats a quality mod mate, well done! If you have time drop me a pm with the website address for the led strips.

I have 10m of these LED's in the apex of my shed roof - powered by my 'van spare battery and linked to a 99p eBay PIR.

Now, everytime I go in the shed, I have light! No more leaving the light on and draining the battery. The van battery lasts about 6 mths before needing charging.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Very impressive. Wish I had access to equipment like that. The awning light on our adria is poor. I keep meaning to change it to led but just an easy swap as something like yours would be beyond me.

Out of curiosity. Once you had cut the strips what method did you use to link the strips as its a very neat job?

Just beginning our adventure. 95% of my time on CT I use my phone. As a result correct spelling and grammer will be used sparingly. This is due to fat fingers. Please don't let it bother you.

Very impressive. Wish I had access to equipment like that. The awning light on our adria is poor. I keep meaning to change it to led but just an easy swap as something like yours would be beyond me.

Out of curiosity. Once you had cut the strips what method did you use to link the strips as its a very neat job?

Hi MM,

If you look carefully at the photo of the unit on test, you can see tinned copper wire down the left and right hand sides. I used negative on one side and positive on the other, worked a treat.

I'd be quite happy to cut some parts for you but I don't know what sort of awning light is fitted to your van.

John

Now thats a quality mod mate, well done! If you have time drop me a pm with the website address for the led strips.

Similar treatment done to the roof lights in the kitchen and washroom:-

roof2.jpg

Thats how it looks with the domed cover off, simply screws back into the fitting, the wires push into the lampholder in a similar way to the halogen bulb.

roof4.jpg

Lit up without the cover, these ones are ice white, a lot brighter than it looks on here.

roof3.jpg

With the cover on, nicely difused.

roof1.jpg

This one is the warm white option, again very bright but not as cold as the ice white.

John

Hi MM,

If you look carefully at the photo of the unit on test, you can see tinned copper wire down the left and right hand sides. I used negative on one side and positive on the other, worked a treat.

I'd be quite happy to cut some parts for you but I don't know what sort of awning light is fitted to your van.

John

I'll have another look. tomorrow John, using my phone now so can't see the pictures well enough (decent phone but this forum zooms pics out for some reason).

My awning light is a fairly small oval, not sure it would be worth the effort but I will look next time I'm at storage as it doesn't produce much light in my opinion, thanks for the offer.

Just beginning our adventure. 95% of my time on CT I use my phone. As a result correct spelling and grammer will be used sparingly. This is due to fat fingers. Please don't let it bother you.

I'll have another look. tomorrow John, using my phone now so can't see the pictures well enough (decent phone but this forum zooms pics out for some reason).

My awning light is a fairly small oval, not sure it would be worth the effort but I will look next time I'm at storage as it doesn't produce much light in my opinion, thanks for the offer.

Usually I can manage to make parts if you take a photograph of the light with a ruler somewhere in the photograph so I can scale it to suit.

J

Very impressive and thought provoking posting, so thanks for that I am sure many of us will look to adopt elements of it.

May I please trouble you for a bit more guidance? I struggle to get some fundamental aspects sorted in my mind.

I note you say and the photos show the strip is made and in your case used, in three, and two off three SMD groupings.

Does this mean that each three SMDs takes 12 volt DC. ?

So I assume on the roll there is a printed "bus" taking the 12 volt supply to as many three SMD clusters, as there is on the roll length?

I am confused about voltage regulation. Is any regulation provision needed where the source is the van’s battery, which can whilst on EHU of course be of the order of 13. 8 volts.

Could you please mention what the relevance is of the various types 3528/5050/5630 refered to on the ebay link you provided?

Thanks again.

Edited by JTQ

Very impressive and thought provoking posting, so thanks for that I am sure many of us will look to adopt elements of it.

May I please trouble you for a bit more guidance? I struggle to get some fundamental aspects sorted in my mind.

I note you say and the photos show the strip is made and in your case used, in three, and two off three SMD groupings.

So I assume on the roll there is a printed "bus" taking the 12 volt supply to as many three SMD clusters, as there is on the roll length?

I am confused about voltage regulation. Is any regulation provision needed where the source is the van’s battery, which can whilst on EHU of course be of the order of 13. 8 volts.

Could you please mention what the relevance is of the various types 3528/5050/5630 refered to on the ebay link you provided?

Thanks again.

No problem, the numbers refer to the size of the LED on the strip.

3528 - 3. 5mm x 2. 8 mm

5050 - 5. 0mm x 5. 0mm

5630 - 5. 6mm x 3. 0mm

Most of the 5 series LEDS are tri-led which can equal more brightness or the option of variable colour. The overall brightness will depend on the total number of LED's. The 3 series generally come in either 300 or 600 LED's per 5 metre length, they can be cut every 3rd LED and they do have a 12v BUS system for powering them up. The 5 series LED's typically have 150 LED's per 5 metres, the lighting isn't quite as even but the individual LED's are bright, the 3 series not as bright but more of them!

I have trialled these lights for a considerable time on my bench supply at 14. 5v for over a week, no burnouts, no discolouring, no dimming, to be extra safe I did stabilise the feed to all of my lighting though if I do it again to another caravan I wont bother, I used a module like this http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/15A-DC-DC-Converter-Buck-Adjustable-4-32V-12V-to-1-2-32V-3-3V-5V-24V-Power-F-car-/261219191850?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Test_Measurement_Equipment_ET&hash=item3cd1e08c2a On my Senator theres a switch on the panel for all of the internal lighting, I broke into the feed there, it would be just as easy in the fusebox on other caravans if they dont have such a switch.

I am confused about voltage regulation. Is any regulation provision needed where the source is the vans battery, which can whilst on EHU of course be of the order of 13. 8 volts.

Thanks again.

JTQ,

I can't help with the regulation but can with the others.

Yes they are arranged via a bus in sets of 3. Connectors are available to re-connect cut strips or add additional.

The link below gives details of the differences and the relevance of the numbers. You can also see the bus configuration.

http://www. flexfireleds. com/pages/Comparison-between-3528-LEDs-and-5050-LEDs. html

Edit: Beat me to it john!

Edited by MonkeyMark

Excellent very informative, thank you.

Edit: thank you both!

Edited by JTQ

JTQ,

I can't help with the regulation but can with the others.

Yes they are arranged via a bus in sets of 3. Connectors are available to re-connect cut strips or add additional.

The link below gives details of the differences and the relevance of the numbers. You can also see the bus configuration.

http://www. flexfireleds. com/pages/Comparison-between-3528-LEDs-and-5050-LEDs. html

Edit: Beat me to it john!

No worries!

If any of you guys need any parts cutting, not a problem and we'd be quite happy to help fellow vanners, maybe we should go to a rallye or two with the cutter in the back of the van!

J

No worries!

If any of you guys need any parts cutting, not a problem and we'd be quite happy to help fellow vanners, maybe we should go to a rallye or two with the cutter in the back of the van!

J

Thanks for the offer John.

I intend to change most/all lights to led as I'd like to rally (need to make the most of the van seems as we went way over budget :) ).

The bathroom one would be good with a conversion like yours!

I bet it's a handy (and expensive) piece of kit.

No problem, the numbers refer to the size of the LED on the strip.

3528 - 3. 5mm x 2. 8 mm

5050 - 5. 0mm x 5. 0mm

5630 - 5. 6mm x 3. 0mm

Most of the 5 series LEDS are tri-led which can equal more brightness or the option of variable colour. The overall brightness will depend on the total number of LED's. The 3 series generally come in either 300 or 600 LED's per 5 metre length, they can be cut every 3rd LED and they do have a 12v BUS system for powering them up. The 5 series LED's typically have 150 LED's per 5 metres, the lighting isn't quite as even but the individual LED's are bright, the 3 series not as bright but more of them!

I have trialled these lights for a considerable time on my bench supply at 14. 5v for over a week, no burnouts, no discolouring, no dimming, to be extra safe I did stabilise the feed to all of my lighting though if I do it again to another caravan I wont bother, I used a module like this http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/15A-DC-DC-Converter-Buck-Adjustable-4-32V-12V-to-1-2-32V-3-3V-5V-24V-Power-F-car-/261219191850?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Test_Measurement_Equipment_ET&hash=item3cd1e08c2a On my Senator theres a switch on the panel for all of the internal lighting, I broke into the feed there, it would be just as easy in the fusebox on other caravans if they dont have such a switch.

The problem I faced when installing a voltage regulator for LED lighting was that if you put one large regulator in the main circuit then this device is powered up and will use power whenever the lighting circuit is activated, even if No lights are switched on. So when we go to sleep at night and turn off the lights from our bed, the regulator still draws power all night from the battery.

To try and get around this, for some of the lights I had which did get hotter that they should, I installed a single regulator at each light, after the switch so it only draws power when the light is on.

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi