Alu-Tech - Glass Fibre Bodies. Since End Of 2012 - Any Leaks.

Alan Stanley

Now that they have had the Unicorn and Pegasus with the big windows out for a year or so. Has anyone suffered water leaks in the main body shell?

We know about the shower problem on early Unicorns and the odd badly assembled sink etc. What I am aiming at is the structural integrity and water proofing of the main body shell.

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

No probs on Olympus for either front locker or windows. That's prob put the mockers on things then

No leaks in my 2011 Unicorn Seville". This is the best 'van in 35 years of caravanning,and many other makes of 'vans. Jim

No leaks here !

Bob

Mercedes Benz E220 AMG Line Auto Estate and Bailey S4 Unicorn Cadiz

Only leak in our Madrid has been the shower!

Taken early retirement from BT now we have time to do all the things we love to do ;-)

U2 BARCELONA

Just had its first service no leaks, no damp to report on the damp test. few quality issues, new parts fitted.

More issues about the quality of workmanship of the dealer, so moved under the transient warranty.

2012 Olympus mark 11 . front locker leak. Seems to be coming from front locker door, as the tray fills with water. Being fixed by Reads in the new year .

Bailey Olympus s11.

Towed by a Man City fanatic and his long suffering wife.

2012 Olympus mark 11 . front locker leak. Seems to be coming from front locker door, as the tray fills with water. Being fixed by Reads in the new year .

Ooh, must look at mine. I knew by writing in this I'd put the mockers on things!!

I would think that most of the GRP sided vans that have been sold so far would not yet have had their 1st service. ....so we will probably have to wait and see (although I can't see why GRP side panels would make any difference to potential leaks).

For any additional information or advice please have a look on my website. .....

www. thecaravanmedic-swindon. co. uk

Yes pegasus gt65 genoa water on the frount shelf and it has distorted the wood trim around the roof light. I will be ringing the dealers tomorrow.

Yes pegasus gt65 genoa water on the frount shelf and it has distorted the wood trim around the roof light. I will be ringing the dealers tomorrow.

We will all be interested to see what the cause is please.

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

I would think that most of the GRP sided vans that have been sold so far would not yet have had their 1st service. ....so we will probably have to wait and see (although I can't see why GRP side panels would make any difference to potential leaks).

I picked up my Unicorn 2 Valencia in November 2012 so it went for its first service on 22nd Nov this year.

The picture window was marked on the inside of the plastic sheeting, there was a gas leak on an elbow supplying the fridge and the wood effect veneer was lifting at either side of the picture window on the curve of the roof, all these items were replaced with no fuss under warranty and the van is as good as new again.

I can also report there was no reports of any leaks what so ever.

I have done in excess of 4000 miles towing my caravan since I picked it up in all weathers and some torrential rain storms and with the exception of the above issues it has performed impeccably (the gas leak occurred on my last outing in early Nov), it is without doubt the most reliable, best equipped and (in my opinion) the best looking caravan I have had.

We are spending New Years day planning our caravan holidays for 2014 and I feel sure my Unicorn will give me another year of satisfiying caravanning both at home and abroad.

No leaks in mine yet - had 1st service in October and only damp picked up was from the leaking shower which will take a good 12 months to completely come out of the floor. The GRP skin gives a much better look to ther van and also gives a feeling of quality - no more stone dents etc.

Land Rover Freelander 2 SD4 XS and 2013 Bailey Unicorn S2 Valencia

No leaks in mine yet - had 1st service in October and only damp picked up was from the leaking shower which will take a good 12 months to completely come out of the floor. The GRP skin gives a much better look to ther van and also gives a feeling of quality - no more stone dents etc.

Ah yes I forgot to mention that, another massive plus.

I had a Pegasus 524 before my Valencia and the fragility of the aluminium skin was a real problem, if Bailey hadn't gone down the GRP route then I would most definitely not have bought the Unicorn regardless of how well equipped it was or how good it looked.

Never had a problem with my shower guess I was one of the lucky ones.

My version one is coming up to its 3rd service, I might if I look very hard find two or three stone dents, one near the door from new, one under the front window I think, and another somewhere on the offside.

There that insignificant that when the van was in last month for damp repairs the dealer inspection said no body damage.

As for the floor drying out from the shower leak, how is the water ever going to dry out if the floor is covered?

IMO the floor covering requires lifting and drying out immediately to prevent health threading spores growing, not to mention wood rot.

My version one is coming up to its 3rd service, I might if I look very hard find two or three stone dents, one near the door from new, one under the front window I think, and another somewhere on the offside.

There that insignificant that when the van was in last month for damp repairs the dealer inspection said no body damage.

As for the floor drying out from the shower leak, how is the water ever going to dry out if the floor is covered?

IMO the floor covering requires lifting and drying out immediately to prevent health threading spores growing, not to mention wood rot.

Damp reading was 30% on service which is the same reading you get if you put the meter on the dry skin of your hand - not soaking wet but assured by my man that it will eventually reduce - the timber floor is treated against rot so should not be a problem - if I keep the van for several years and it is a problem, then will be covered by warranty as it has all been officially recorded. Why worry about a problem that might never happen? Some caravaners seem to be parranoid about things that may never happen!!

Land Rover Freelander 2 SD4 XS and 2013 Bailey Unicorn S2 Valencia

Damp reading was 30% on service which is the same reading you get if you put the meter on the dry skin of your hand - not soaking wet but assured by my man that it will eventually reduce - the timber floor is treated against rot so should not be a problem - if I keep the van for several years and it is a problem, then will be covered by warranty as it has all been officially recorded. Why worry about a problem that might never happen? Some caravaners seem to be parranoid about things that may never happen!!

Who told you that the floor is treated, not saying it isn't on the later models but I would like to know for definite.

30% is quite high and the tissue in your hand is full of water (well on most people)

If you have damp trapped beneath vinyl, the floor will surely rot (The ply is between vinyl at the top and Styrofoam below and GRP inner wall skins at the side. Where is the water going to go.

Edited by Gaz40

Perhaps you haven't seen the pictures of the treated floors rotting?

If I recall correctly readings of 30% require attention, not ignoring.