The Tin Whale Is Beached

cugsy

After a bit of kerfuffle. .love that word. .and some help we got the 'van attached to the galaxy and off we went to the storage site. Coughed up for fees and the big key to get in and it was worth the fee for the amount of reversing help from Gareth who works on the site. i would have run out of diesel and swear words if I had to do that on my own. Practise,practise,practise. Off to Skeggy on saturday (avoiding Boston if I can help it).. John

Have a good un I hope the wind drops and rain stops for you, I wish I was going away over Christmas. Wont be away or in that area till Easter time :0(

I took the easy way out with reversing the van I bought a mover, going back in a straight line no problem just small corrections but as for doing a full reverse turn into a pitch was a nightmare, forwards and backwards then getting to the point where which ever way you turn the steering wheel the van goes the same way and you have to start over again. I end up taking the van off and have myself and the Mrs push the blooming thing hence the purchase of the mover. For me reversing's got to be one of the most hardest things about caravanning.

Ford Mondeo 2. 0 TDCI Titanium 09 ~ Abbey Cardinal 520 2007 Powrtouch Evo

Maybe the new £10000 caravan will have that but for now I'll carry on caravanning. ...da da da da. .

It gets easier with practice Cugsy but even after 30 years of practice it can still go wrong occassionally as I have found out. I have only recently fitted a mover and found it excellent but I still try to reverse onto the pitch with the car unless it is very awkward. I had only been towing a few months when we went on a rally and I had to reverse into a tight space. It went in perfectly to my surprise and the rally official said "good to see an expert at work". I didn't enlighten him but I did feel ten feet tall.

2004 Citroen C5 2. 0ltr diesel auto VTR and 2011 Bailey Orion 430/4

To be honest, if the lad at the storage site wasn't there it would have taken longer . ..fair enough. But I'm methodical in everything (ask the wife) and I would have done it. But it was between other caravans with about 2 ft each side.

A tip I was given a few years ago was to tie a piece of wool at the bottom of your steering wheel (6 o clock) then if you want the van to go left turn the wool to the left which is realy turning the car to the right & visa versa

Easy peasy :rolleyes:;)

Hyundai Terracan pulling a Burstner Trecento 530 easily
I thought I saw a light at the end of the tunnel, but it was somone with a torch

Got back from Skeggy about 1pm and went to the storage site. Then spent 20 minutes making a complete dill of myself backing it in. After a while the wife suggested pushing it in. ...so we did. And just as we got it straight the handle snapped and I went ceremoniously on my ****..you fill it in. So, reverse it and unhook it and push it. 'Nuff said

Seen how much they are. ..so,no!

Got back from Skeggy about 1pm and went to the storage site. Then spent 20 minutes making a complete dill of myself backing it in. After a while the wife suggested pushing it in. ...so we did. And just as we got it straight the handle snapped and I went ceremoniously on my ****..you fill it in. So, reverse it and unhook it and push it. 'Nuff said

At the risk of stating the obvious and you may well have already spotted this. .. If at all possible reverse in with the OS of the van moving to the left (as viewed standing in front of the car looking towards the rear of the car) that way you can see what the caravan is doing. If you reverse the other way, usually you cant actually see the rear end of the caravan.

If you watch truck drivers with articulated vehicles they do it this way if its at at all possible. With a 40' trailer reversing N/S is a guessing game - stop when you hear the crunch. .. :-)

Unicorn IV Cartagena 2019my | Mercedes-Benz GLE350d (W166)

Senator Series 6 Indiana Now sold

I'm well aware of what way to turn folks. It was just the limited room at the storage site - about 10ft in all and getting a 7ft charabanc in there with about 6 hours of experience was daunting to say the least. Never mind,practise practice etc

We try to advise folks at our storage yard to use their movers if fitted. I turned a few rows of vans to ensure no one had to "blind side" reverse into their spots.

Gem Caravans (Fife) Ltd.

ALL MAKES SERVICING AND REPAIRS

BAILEY TRANSIENT WARRANTY, LUNAR AND COACHMAN WARRANTY

www. gemcaravancare.co.uk 07803 922945

WORKSHOP NOW OPEN