Noseweight-I Must Be Doing Something Wrong

paulthomas

Just read a review of the above caravan being towed by an E Class Touring.

The 'van has an MTPLM of 1700 kg and the car has a towball limit of 84kg.

My 'van's MTPLM is 1650 kg but I really struggle to get the required noseweight of my combination down to 100kg. Admittedly,I do carry two full gas bottles as we do long trips abroad. I'm always very wary of putting too much stuff behind the axle and carry as much as I can in the car,including the awning. Don't fancy carrying gas bottles in the car.

The outfit is always extremely stable loaded that way but I wonder if I need to change my loading habits.

Certainly,if I could achieve nose weights around 80+ kg quite a few more new towcar options would be available.

Any thoughts? (and a Merry Christmas to one and all!)

if you do not have calor lite bottles then changing to them would help a lot, one of the things I have moved is the front chest, just stand it on the axle. should come off with side straps or similar.

We all know that caravans should be loaded with the heavy stuff as near to the axle as possible, but I wouldn't be too precious about carrying an awning and poles on the floor towards the rear of the van if that enables you to get the noseweight within the car's limit and provided of course that you don't exceed the MTPLM for the caravan. The effect on stability would be minimal and certainly that would be preferable to overloading the tow-hitch and / or the car's rear axle in my opinion.

Edited by Highlandman

We fight not for glory, nor for wealth nor honours . ..

but only and alone we fight for freedom,

which no good man surrenders but with his life.

My Swift model had an 'empty' noseweight of 55kg.

Adding the battery and mover lifted that to only 70kg

Two calorlites weigh 21kg. ..but when in the locker, only lift the noseweight to 85kg.

The rest of the locker contents lift it to 90kg.

From then on its a question of balancing interior additions to keep the 90kg.

Just read a review of the above caravan being towed by an E Class Touring.

The 'van has an MTPLM of 1700 kg and the car has a towball limit of 84kg.

My 'van's MTPLM is 1650 kg but I really struggle to get the required noseweight of my combination down to 100kg. Admittedly,I do carry two full gas bottles as we do long trips abroad. I'm always very wary of putting too much stuff behind the axle and carry as much as I can in the car,including the awning. Don't fancy carrying gas bottles in the car.

The outfit is always extremely stable loaded that way but I wonder if I need to change my loading habits.

Certainly,if I could achieve nose weights around 80+ kg quite a few more new towcar options would be available.

Any thoughts? (and a Merry Christmas to one and all!)

Same car but lighter van (1500kg) and I aim for around 95kg on the hitch. In my experience the more weight the better and whilst 80kg might well be fine I would personally prefer the extra 15kg.

Are you thinking of changing the car then? I'm really happy with mine.

Santa Fe 7 Seater Premium Manual towing Swift Eccles 480 plated to 1500 kg. 

. In my experience the more weight the better and whilst 80kg might well be fine I would personally prefer the extra 15kg.

There are many more tow cars out there with 80kg noseweight limits than ones with 100kg ( mine included) . ...they are perfectly stable at the lower weight.

Does the Adria have a long A frame? This can make a huge difference, by carrying the gas cylinders a foot or so further back. The Burstner has such a frame and I carry two 13kg gas cylinders in the front locker and still below 75kg noseweight.

Hyundai Santa Fe CRD auto + Burstner Belcanto 525 TL

http://www. oldagetraveller. net/

If you empty your caravan, what sort of noseweight can you get?

People have a blind spot for some things they carry, now I am not

suggesting you are one of them but I have seen;

Six housebricks, carried just inside the door in a bag for the corner steadies.

The EHU lead, steps, and wheel clamp stowed just inside the door.

Le Creuset pans (cast iron) stowed in the front lockers.

It all adds up :D

Same car but lighter van (1500kg) and I aim for around 95kg on the hitch. In my experience the more weight the better and whilst 80kg might well be fine I would personally prefer the extra 15kg.

Are you thinking of changing the car then? I'm really happy with mine.

I love the SF. It's superb at towing. Just doing a bit of forward thinking as I'm now in the happy position of being able to buy the (almost!) car of my dreams. Children through University,helped with houses etc.

Could JUST stretch to an M Class but not sure I want to commit that money.

BMW 5 Series Touring or E Class Estate would be nice but towbar limits are much lower.

I suppose I could go for a Lunar but they don't really appeal to me.

Thanks for all advice thus far. I realise that I'm very lucky.

There are many more tow cars out there with 80kg noseweight limits than ones with 100kg ( mine included) . ...they are perfectly stable at the lower weight.

I suppose I you could have added those really important little words "in my opinion!"

Now I'm sure your experience is far greater than mine but "in my experience" the higher the hitch weight the more stable the tow. That does NOT mean to say that 80kg hitch weight cannot give a stable tow. It all depends upon the caravan being towed and how it is loaded. But I repeat - the heavier the hitch weight the more stable the tow - in my experience!

I suppose I you could have added those really important little words "in my opinion!"

Now I'm sure your experience is far greater than mine but "in my experience" the higher the hitch weight the more stable the tow. That does NOT mean to say that 80kg hitch weight cannot give a stable tow. It all depends upon the caravan being towed and how it is loaded. But I repeat - the heavier the hitch weight the more stable the tow - in my experience!

A bit prickly aren't we? LOL

It's not an opinion. ..it's a fact. The number of cars with 100kg noseweights are outnumbered by those with lesser.

Whilst there is good evidence that keeping a heavy noseweight is beneficial, there's an almost evangelical compulsion to get it within one gram of the cars max. ...which isnt necessarily the best for every outfit.

My caravan becomes much more stable above 90Kg. It was much less pleasant when I was restricted to 75Kg. And to get to 75Kg I had to take the gas bottles out (or load the awning etc right at the back). Neither were ideal.

When we bought our first "New" caravan the ex works noseweight was virtually zero and I could quite literally lift the hitch with your little finger, and if the jockey wheel was removed, the caravan sat back on the rear steadies with the nose pointing skywards! Suffice to say that it towed like a pig like that, but that was not the situation when in use as it had a huge front locker, that not only swallowed two 6kg gas cylinders and the spare wheel, but also an Aquaroll, waste container, trolley jack and assorted holiday paraphernalia. With that lot on board the noseweight rose to 98Kgs. , and I could not have wished for a more stable outfit.

Why then are today's caravans often supplied with a higher noseweight that requires back loading to compensate, thus producing an unstable situation when in touring trim? It's a darn sight easier to add noseweight to achieve stability, than to remove it.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

We had similar trouble with nose weight. We removed spare wheel from from locker and had spare wheel carrier fitted under the floor to the rear. The gas bottles we changed to Calorlite bottles. Placing the spare wheel from locker to under the rear floor lowered the centre of gravity. The above allowed us to rearrange our storage items and get the right nose weight and the correct weight distribution in the caravan. I certainly would not advise exceeding manufacturers towball weights, apart from potential accidents, you might invalid your insurance if one occurs

I had noseweight issues. The 2 gas containers in the locker were removed. (Never used and I'd also underestimated the impact on noseweight of a mover)

I also doubt the accuracy of my Al-Ko noseweight jockey wheel. There is nothing else I can do. Heavy items always strategically placed over the axle or in the car, and there really is nothing of weight in the front locker.

Towing stability remains excellent.

We had an Avondale Osprey with the wardrobe right at the back. One trip out we had a number of items in the wardrobe . The van started "wagging" at 43 m. p. h. pulled up and removed two folding "suitcase" type solar panels - put them on the floor in the middle-- she towed great ! So - beware it does not take much.

david

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!

A bit prickly aren't we? LOL

It's not an opinion. ..it's a fact. The number of cars with 100kg noseweights are outnumbered by those with lesser.

Whilst there is good evidence that keeping a heavy noseweight is beneficial, there's an almost evangelical compulsion to get it within one gram of the cars max. ...which isnt necessarily the best for every outfit.

Again you've completely missed the point! But never mind - it's Christmas. :)

Although I see you are conceding the fact that heavier nose weights give more stable outfits - in my opinion of course!

Edited by John_b_45

I thought my loading was ok until I measured it. Way over cars max. After adjustment down to 75kg it tows so much better, even SWMBO in the copilot seat commented shortly after departure.

I now arrange things as follows.

Gas bottle in car*

Waste master, EHU, blue and a couple of odd bits in locker.

Aquaroll in loo.

Chairs under rear seats.

Awning and accessories under rear table (to very rear).

*that's with a 13kg bottle. If it's a 6kg it can stay in the locker and wastemaster etc goes to rear of van, though it's slightly different.

It has a big locker and seems like I waste the space. A higher tow ball limit would be much better with less messing about.

Just beginning our adventure. 95% of my time on CT I use my phone. As a result correct spelling and grammer will be used sparingly. This is due to fat fingers. Please don't let it bother you.