Storm Disruption For Ferry Passengers To Spain

Seems like cap Finestre, a brittany ferries ship has had it quite bad out at sea with passengers being air lifters to hospitals. Let's hope it's not too serious for them and hopefully everyone will get to where they are going to in time for Christmas

http://www. bbc. co. uk/news/world-europe-25500609

Caravanless. ...

Oh my god, my worst nightmare I feel for them, that's why I will never use anything else but the tunnel.

Phil.

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

Looking at the satellite map it doesn't look as though Brest has any Ro-Ro bearths so she may not be off-loading there.

Certainly just bearthed alongside

Edited by Ich

My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely

Seems like cap Finestre, a brittany ferries ship has had it quite bad out at sea with passengers being air lifters to hospitals. Let's hope it's not too serious for them and hopefully everyone will get to where they are going to in time for Christmas

http://www. bbc. co. uk/news/world-europe-25500609

Beeb immediately put words into her mouth to lead her into saying they should not have been there - it was a surprise!! Sad really.

Sam :beardy:

Looking at the satellite map it doesn't look as though Brest has any Ro-Ro bearths so she may not be off-loading there.

Certainly just bearthed alongside

Brest is one of the best harbours in Europe from a safety point of view and as will be known is base for much of French Naval fleet. Yes they do have ro-ro linkspans but would assume that using it as place of safety. ..

As someone who has obvious maritime connections I would offer the last verse of the Eternal Father- Strong to Save hymn for those onboard that any any other ferry being bashed about at present. .

O Trinity of love and power!

Our brethren shield in danger's hour;

From rock and tempest, fire and foe,

Protect them wheresoe'er they go;

Thus evermore shall rise to Thee

Glad hymns of praise from land and sea.

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Dover struggled too with the Spirit of France unable to dock due to 70 mph gusts being recorded. Never happens when I am on, although the HSS to Dun Laoghaire last Saturday was fun to say the least. .....

Russell

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

Dover struggled too with the Spirit of France unable to dock due to 70 mph gusts being recorded. Never happens when I am on, although the HSS to Dun Laoghaire last Saturday was fun to say the least. .....

Russell

Russell - you are mad! (In a nice way, of course).

Merry Christmas.

Glen.

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

Russell - you are mad! (In a nice way, of course).

Merry Christmas.

Glen.

Who said he was nice??

rgds

geoff

O Trinity of love and power!

Our brethren shield in danger's hour;

From rock and tempest, fire and foe,

Protect them wheresoe'er they go;

Thus evermore shall rise to Thee

Glad hymns of praise from land and sea.

geoff

So Mote it be. ..

Volvo S60 D5 (now sold 😥) new Vauxall soon
Happy to meet, Sorry to part, Happy to meet again
48 Year Member of The Caravan Club

Wouldn't fancy having the van on a ferry tossing in the sea like that! Recipe for serious damage.

Edited by MalH

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

Wouldn't fancy having the van on a ferry tossing in the sea like that! Recipe for serious damage.

Do Brittany Ferries secure caravans to the deck in rough weather ?

2022 Pilote P696GJ for European touring-  2022 Coachman VIP 565 for touring the UK towed by a 2022 Skoda kodiaq Sportline 4x4 dsg 200PS

Well Glen, yesterday, I was heading for Fishguard to see the "Stena Europe" but I had a bad feeling, so bailed out of the train at Llanelli. I got back to Cardiff Ok, but the trains to Shrewsbury were cancelled, so I then ended up with a train to Newport, then Bristol, then Brimingham and finally Shrewsbury - all in the name of ferry watching - that I did not even do!!!

Just been watching my vids from the HSS last Saturday though - lol.

Russell

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

Do Brittany Ferries secure caravans to the deck in rough weather ?

Be surprised if they do. .......we used to ship caravans from Immingham to Rotterdam and sometimes they were so damaged they were discharged by front-loaders or grabs. ..........

geoff

Well Glen, yesterday, I was heading for Fishguard to see the "Stena Europe" but I had a bad feeling, so bailed out of the train at Llanelli. I got back to Cardiff Ok, but the trains to Shrewsbury were cancelled, so I then ended up with a train to Newport, then Bristol, then Brimingham and finally Shrewsbury - all in the name of ferry watching - that I did not even do!!!

Just been watching my vids from the HSS last Saturday though - lol.

Russell

Confirmed - MAD! lol!

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

We are crossing on the Cap Finistere at the end of January - hope it's a bit calmer by then :blink:

Land Rover is now back towing.

It's still in Brest

Indeed it is still there. ...16 knot winds and heavy seas still.

geoff

We did the same trip on that ferry on the previous round trip 18th December. It was very rough. Stuff was toppling over in the shop etc, and passengers were advised not to walk about unless really necessary. Vehicles and caravans were chained down to the deck. Although it was a bit stressful, we arrived in Bilbao just 45 minutes late. Well done Brittany Ferries I say. I think the ship is a lot better able to accommodate the rough sea than the passengers who ignore safety recommendations.

Ern

We did the same trip on that ferry on the previous round trip 18th December. It was very rough. Stuff was toppling over in the shop etc, and passengers were advised not to walk about unless really necessary. Vehicles and caravans were chained down to the deck. Although it was a bit stressful, we arrived in Bilbao just 45 minutes late. Well done Brittany Ferries I say. I think the ship is a lot better able to accommodate the rough sea than the passengers who ignore safety recommendations.

How do they secure the caravans ?

2022 Pilote P696GJ for European touring-  2022 Coachman VIP 565 for touring the UK towed by a 2022 Skoda kodiaq Sportline 4x4 dsg 200PS

I don't know but when we went down to disembark there were chains everywhere - some still attached. I think they're looped round the tyres but couldn't be sure. They also apply the parking brakes on the caravans without telling anyone. I saw one bloke trying to pull away with his still on.

Ern

Cap Finistere made into Bilbao on Boxing Day and left following day for Roscoff. ......looks as if she is back off Spain again at moment. .........rather them than me. .......

geoff

I don't know but when we went down to disembark there were chains everywhere - some still attached. I think they're looped round the tyres but couldn't be sure. They also apply the parking brakes on the caravans without telling anyone. I saw one bloke trying to pull away with his still on.

shouldn't you always put the van brake on yourself ??

Bessacarr Cameo 525 towed by SsangYong Rexton 2.2 auto in Brown.