Curiosity.....anybody Working Christmas Or Is It Just Me....

PBarton

Anybody working Christmas or is it just me. ......?

I've got the unfortunate job of working Christmas Eve and Christmas Day Night Shift while wife is off, very rarely work nights so wife killing herself laughing! Roll on New Year. .......

Edited by PBarton

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Paul. I am retired as you know. The short straw is always the difficult one to avoid and especially if the person holding the pick has got large hands.

Someone has got to hold the fort in the Blue Light Club. Have a safe night and go home to a very warm welcome.

Regards,

John.

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

Hi Paul. I am retired as you know. The short straw is always the difficult one to avoid and especially if the person holding the pick has got large hands.

Someone has got to hold the fort in the Blue Light Club. Have a safe night and go home to a very warm welcome.

Regards,

John.

Thanks John, just hope it's quiet. Wife normally works nights, I've managed to avoid them for 2 years. If you burn a turkey please don't dial 999. ........I won't be happy responding! Edited by PBarton

Thanks John, just hope it's quiet. Wife normally works nights, I've managed to avoid them for 2 years. If you burn a turkey please don't dial 999. ........I won't be happy responding!

Or happy if the "boss " says -- get em on the yard ( with a 135 ladder ! ) did quite a few in 25 years, dont know how you managed it !

david

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!

My dad was a dairy farmer, never had a full Christmas day! - Always had to work, even as a kid.

Should be lots to do with all the drunks taking to the wheel this Christmas though I suspect :(

Also seem to have been a lot of break in jobs around here lately, mainly garage related. ..

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

My son (Firefighter) is working Boxing Day. .. my sister Dispenser in a Hospital is working Christmas Eve and Boxing Day.

Me??? Well I'm retired so I'll be toasting you and them!!!!

Done my fair share in my time though!!!!

G

My dad was a dairy farmer, never had a full Christmas day! - Always had to work, even as a kid.

Should be lots to do with all the drunks taking to the wheel this Christmas though I suspect :(

Also seem to have been a lot of break in jobs around here lately, mainly garage related. ..

I don't normally deal with burglary unless they have hurt themselves, I'm a Paramedic. ....Last Year an elderly pensioner dialled 999 as she burnt the turkey. She requested an ambulance so had to attend due to her age. ......

Not to bad this year. ... Off today and Christmas Day. Night shift Boxing Day . ... Night Shift Hogmanay. Night Shift Ner'day. ... Cannie complain. Thing is will be on ma 8 days off the following weekend and talking Mrs Smeesh into a wee trip with son up to Glencoe as a final weekend trip with the van before I sell the auld girl. .... The Van that is. Would rather sell the Mrs to be honest . .... :angry:

GAS . ..... :angry:

"to be auld and wise you must first be young and daft "

First Christmas off in 31 years. I won't know what to do with myself. :rolleyes:

'57 Kia Sorento XT Auto - 2010 Bailey Olympus 504 (With weight upgrade)

Hubby and I are working (except Christmas and Boxing day). It's very important that the gas and electric meters are read apparrently ! :rolleyes: Which would be fine if we read residential meters as everyone is at home. But we read business meters and everyone has shut down and gone home - happy days !!! Hopefully we'll be allowed to have the holiday off next year !!! ;)

Lovely weather for it too. ...... !

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

I have never worked a Christmas and have respect for those that forsake their family time to keep us running and safe.

I will raise a glass, or three to you all ;)

H.

Finding things funny since 1968 :blink:

All the years I was in shipping I was always on 24 hour call, rarely did we actually get called out but sometimes did a bit of friendly ship visiting. .........however, when based on the Humber got a call from a Captain at 0200 Christmas Morning,........"can you get someone to collect the ships laundry today?"..........as I had only just got into bed after church I wasn't too pleased. .

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

I spent many years with a husband on 'shift' and rarely got a full Christmas as a family. To make it worse he hated his job. Hats off to all who won't be home for all or part of Christmas, without you none of us would be able to enjoy it.

We all owe you big time. Thank you! :)

T00ts

You've only failed when you've stopped trying! xx

People forget that some food production is a continuous process.

Dairy in particular, cows still produce milk and it has to be bottled,

or made into yoghurt etc. some factories never stop.

This is the first time in 4 years that Polly hasn't worked on Christmas Day . ...

. ... she's got today, tomorrow and Boxing day off . ... way-hey . ...!!!

Cheers

Peet

Mine : Land Rover Defender 90, big, black and shiney.
Polly's : Land Rover Discovery Sport, HSE in Scotia Grey . .......
Towing : A 2011 Coachman Pastiche 545, on the driveway . ....... and now a CT Ninja, too.

To all those of you who are ^raising^ a glass or otherwise grateful for those of us who work over Christmas and New Year I thank you but, dont forget, we do it to pay the bills, its essentially our own choice when we took on the job, and with a bob or two in your pocket, its Christmas every day.

For those who are not working its a time to relax, maybe to get together with other family members. For those who are working we can count our blessings too, that we are able to work, that we have a job, that we are earning a crust.

Over my working life Ive worked as many Christmas,s as Ive had off. Not meaning to be Bah, Humbug, but it really is just another day.

This is the first time in 4 years that Polly hasn't worked on Christmas Day . ...

. ... she's got today, tomorrow and Boxing day off . ... way-hey . ...!!!

Cheers

Peet

Is she snow shovelling yet then??

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Not working here, finish today at 12. 30 until 2nd Jan, although have taken a couple of extra days off. OH isn't working either as he is just been become unemployed so he would be happy to be working in any capacity.

Janet and Jason xxx
Jeep Cherokee Limited 2. 0CRD (2015) towing a 2016 Swift Challenger 530 Alde

Night shift Christmas Eve and Christmas Day and Day shift New Years Day :(

BMW X6 M50D + Buccaneer Schooner 2017

Hi,

AS an ex ships cook christmas was our busy time -- while the rest of the crew stood down ! ( except for essential work ) If you wanted to ship out after a certain date you could be sure of getting a berth as the ships would be away for christmas. Left the sea and joined the fire brigade-- lo and behold come christmas day i was rostered as duty cook ! ( we cooked our own meal ) can not think why ! :o

Now retired --- and still rostered as duty cook on christmas day ! ( by wife ! )

So to one and all -- a merry christmas whether working or not.

david

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!

Did my share of Christmas working as a maintenance engineer for BT, (in the days before mobile phones), Usually called out when it was pouring down with rain, sleet or snow, and blowing a gale. Many thanks to the people currently working to clear up the mess that Mother Nature has caused with her latest show of bad temper!!

Regards, Mike :)

2014 SsangYong Rexton W towing a 2017 Sprite Major 4EB. (After June 9th).