Broken Basin

absart

Hello, does anyone know how we might fix a very brittle, broken sink? The plug hole has snapped clean out. It's a knaus azur, an old one. We've got good building and artistic skills between us so if there were such a thing as some sort of fibre glass kit, we are confident to fix it. I saw a complete bathroom a while back on ebay, but now we actually need one, no luck.

Any hints gratefully received!

Abi : )

Ps if I'm in wrong part of forum please let me know and I will relocate!

Might help if you gave make and model of the van.

If you are good with GRP, then why not use the old sink to make a mould to make a new sink?

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Wispman

the OP did, knaus azur!!!

These are worth a try they are a breakers and sell new.

http://www. halesowencaravancentre. co. uk/

Might help if you gave make and model of the van.

If you are good with GRP, then why not use the old sink to make a mould to make a new sink?

Knaus Azur model ??

I would go along with the make another sink idea, using the old one as a mould. Great idea, that way you can make one that is as thick as you feel it needs to be. You can get different coloured hardner's for the resin too nowadays so you don't have to have a red sink. .. ;)

Rushallmanor types faster than me. ..

Edited by Fenrir

Hi it happened to our sink on a coachman pastiche. A visit to a local plumbers merchant found a waste trap with a bigger flange covered the whole of the hole 50p bargain.

Terry.

Lunar Delta RS, Ford Explorer. Ford Ranger

I replaced my washbasin recently with a fibreglass replacement. The cracked original was 'plastic', spot welded (for want of a better phrase) to the cabinet base, so they each gave stability to the other. It was difficult separating them, but when I did I had a floppy cabinet. On reassembly with the new basin this had to be addressed.

I was lucky enough to find my basin at this link;

http://www. caravanpanels. com/

but according to the link they will manufacture items they don't stock from original damaged panels. Just another possible option.

Gordon

Nissan Qashqai 1. 6 dCi (130 PS) + Avondale Rialto 390-2

Wispman

the OP did, knaus azur!!!

http://www. halesowencaravancentre. co. uk/

My apologies - must be the wine!

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

we had the plug go through the whb -- the problem we were on day two of a three week tour of France.

Had to go to the French equivalent to B&Q we initialy tried Super glue - thr instant stuff No good didn't work.

I with great dificulty removed the whb from the hole. . the tap went through the back of the sink. Getting the pipies undone -being push fit joints.

Eventually we had the sink upside down and the original Super glue tried again - this was good enough to hold the broken bits of plastic and plughole in place. Then we used Araldite the two mix stuff - a golf ball and a pea. put this on and smoothed it around in a good wedge. We left this fo a few hours and then put on another layer smoothing out in good sweeps.

Installation was the reverse of taking out but the water pipes were difficult.

Then the test - WATER - thank goodness it held. That was three years ago. We still put the plug in VERY carefully.

Back home we looked at a manufacturers replacement NEARLY £300 fitted.

Not one yet . Next time it goes we might think about it.

Maurice

Volvo S60 D5 (now sold 😥) new Vauxall soon
Happy to meet, Sorry to part, Happy to meet again
48 Year Member of The Caravan Club

Hi, I accidentally pushed our plug through the basin in our previous van the Abbey Endeavour 2004 whilst cleaning ready for our next trip, which was only one week away. I couldn't believe it I hardly put any pressure on it at all. . In desperation all I ended up doing was siliconing it back on and it did the job a treat and held water no problem and didn't look too obvious either.

After a few holidays away and no leaks in the sink, the roof vent packed up and we decided to go to the dealers to price a vent and sink up and ended up coming back with another caravan!!

Ford Mondeo 2. 0 TDCI Titanium 09 ~ Abbey Cardinal 520 2007 Powrtouch Evo

I knowit is still Christmas - but did you fix it - if so -How?

You could try caravanmedic in Swindon as I've seen some shower repairs he's done and they look fantastic

You could try caravanmedic in Swindon as I've seen some shower repairs he's done and they look fantastic

Problem with for us -- we were in France just starting a 3 week holiday -- got to do some very essential DIY

Hi,

​Should you decide to go the make your own ( in fibre glass ) can i suggest a read up on how to do it ? ( or look it up on Utube ) get it wrong and you could end up with quite a fight trying to separate them.

We had a sink do the same thing to us -- got a car plastic wheel trim from C. L. owner and made large washers to clamp the waste pipe to the washbasin. It did us proud !

david

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!

Problem with for us -- we were in France just starting a 3 week holiday -- got to do some very essential DIY

Pm him, and he will give you sound advice until you get back